Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 244896 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #640 on: 20 May 2019, 11:46 »

yes, the A1 corridor bordering Beds, so maybe see it flying up the A1

Looking forward to the photos of course but also what think of the drive itself - my expectation coming from the R is not much or any noticeable loss in the performance that have got used to (once moving  :wink:) and with maybe a little more lightness and engagement due to the weight reduction.

Aah yes, the A1(M) Southbound is a regular for us on a Sunday evening.

I think the biggest difference is going to come from refinement in the cabin and the digital display coming from two MKVII analogue displays. Handling a big step up on the GTD with 100bhp but handling and dynamics will be interesting to judge relative to the CSS. I'm wondering how long it'll be before I'm allowed to drive her new baby!  :evil:
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #641 on: 20 May 2019, 12:08 »
Stuck to 3 door on 2 x Quattro and swore would never give it up and everyone will just have to keep coping but it was the MK 7 that swayed me to move to 5 doors as think it keeps its hatchback lines better than anything out there and would not go back to 3 door as the convenience has taken away so much pain not just in access for passengers but also parking as the slightly larger doors are prohibitive - If rarely have passengers then sure, 3 door all the way, but if you do and regularly then on the MK7 you are losing not much if anything on styling

hay fever kills off my need for a sunroof immediately, I like my air conditioned sealed bubble :) but it is a strange choice on the more performance models though these Golfs do straddle the daily user so I do get that also. - Certainly not on a ClubSport though for me.

The West London showrooms in general are ridiculous, all the best cars are certainly saved for them, though do not think I would personally be disturbing any salesman :)

My wife same by way, which made it more pleasurable in pulling it off - but a rare win haha,

« Last Edit: 20 May 2019, 12:30 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #642 on: 20 May 2019, 12:39 »

Looking forward to the photos of course but also what think of the drive itself - my expectation coming from the R is not much or any noticeable loss in the performance that have got used to (once moving  :wink:) and with maybe a little more lightness and engagement due to the weight reduction.

I think the biggest difference is going to come from refinement in the cabin and the digital display coming from two MKVII analogue displays. Handling a big step up on the GTD with 100bhp but handling and dynamics will be interesting to judge relative to the CSS. I'm wondering how long it'll be before I'm allowed to drive her new baby!  :evil:

One of reasons looked past the A35 AMG was that moving from MK 7 there would be the MK 7.5 lifts and items taken to standard and with the red accents and trimming there be a little more lustre, even if not markedly.

Previous to my R was the GTD as at that time was doing relatively substantial mileage and definitely all the car you will ever need, as ticked every box, as performance was not actually that shabby, and obviously if doing the long runs mileage was 50 MPG readily, though in my last year as mileage dropped so did the economy as it was more 38 MPG on same demographic of driving doing now (R is about 28-30 MPG)

The engine was heavier in the GTD (or so I read) and so the GTI TCR should be much lighter in feel and with the BHP being near my R, can testify it will cover the ground much quicker, with its dry starts being recorded at 5.3 seconds on video seen, quicker than a CS I think?

My GTD really suffered with the first set of tyres, as they wore the getaway became shocking, but as soon as swapped them out that experience was transformed and given these come with P Zero traction should be pretty good.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #643 on: 21 May 2019, 17:42 »

One of reasons looked past the A35 AMG was that moving from MK 7 there would be the MK 7.5 lifts and items taken to standard and with the red accents and trimming there be a little more lustre, even if not markedly.

Previous to my R was the GTD as at that time was doing relatively substantial mileage and definitely all the car you will ever need, as ticked every box, as performance was not actually that shabby, and obviously if doing the long runs mileage was 50 MPG readily, though in my last year as mileage dropped so did the economy as it was more 38 MPG on same demographic of driving doing now (R is about 28-30 MPG)

The engine was heavier in the GTD (or so I read) and so the GTI TCR should be much lighter in feel and with the BHP being near my R, can testify it will cover the ground much quicker, with its dry starts being recorded at 5.3 seconds on video seen, quicker than a CS I think?

My GTD really suffered with the first set of tyres, as they wore the getaway became shocking, but as soon as swapped them out that experience was transformed and given these come with P Zero traction should be pretty good.

I agree with Mercedes, the A45 was a bit too current Honda Civic with that wing and I think the A35 isn't worth it relative to the TCR or R. I was behind one on the M1 yesterday and the styling is a bit meah. I don't know if you have better luck than me but I have gone into a Mercedes dealer 3 times about 3 different cars and the experience has been abysmal. I was looking at an SLS on one occasion and I was referred to the dealership in Chelsea - Cheyne Walk I think. They were very willing to do a test drive but the salesman said that we'd likely not get out of first gear. I asked if we could arrange something at Brooklands, even offering to pay and have it credited against a purchase. 'That'll be difficult, sir' was the reply.

I have some pictures that I shot the other day pre-detail and I'll upload them this evening - they show the difference between the CSS and TCR. Maybe more interesting than the standard beauty shots on the Internet.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #644 on: 21 May 2019, 19:01 »
I thought this thread needed a few more pictures. I took these before the car went off to the detailer but it really needs a proper clean. Also having our drive graded and resurfaced properly after the developer's incompetent attempts so feel a sense of achievement in having missed the earth moving equipment from the shots! The paint had the surface texture of sandpaper after shipping and production, I think the matt mirrors were smoother than the paint.

Dealer did as I asked and left the car entirely sealed including the roof and bonnet covers. I checked the car with a Scangrip inspection lamp and it's in pretty good condition. Orange peel all over it as I have come to expect from VW (particularly on C pillar) and there are a couple of sanding marks and a few light swirls which could be from the protective covers rubbing on corners. Minor work with an orbital polisher and actually a good colour to work on - hides the dirt well but enough contrast to work on unlike white which washes out with hot spots and makes it hard to inspect with directional inspection lights.

Given how pronounced the rear diffuser is, I'm thinking of putting some PPF on to it as it's going to suck up muck and be a nightmare to keep scratch free without a level of polishing and care that life is too short for.

Only initial impressions of the car (while keeping the revs down) is that the steering is very light. The exhaust doesn't have the crackle and pops of the CSS and sounds quite muted. Whether it'll bed in and become a bit more throaty remains to be seen but I've run it through all modes including sport. I'll post some pictures of the CSS and TCR together this weekend.

Vinyl TCR on the door is subtle and understated. I didn't go for the shouty hexagon decals. Looks really good.

Arrived on Pirellis so will swap out for Michelin CS2s. I guess the Pretoria only get the CS2s ex factory.

Shot with the GT4 which is a paint to sample colour - 7A1 Grey Black for comparison. Pure Grey has a bit more blue in it (colder) and in direct sunlight, is a bit darker than Audi's Nardo Grey but tone is very similar. Grey Black is much warmer in sunlight.

If anyone is considering one, you won't go wrong with Pure Grey. If anyone wants any pictures or images of spec choices, happy to take them for you, just comment and I'll do them this weekend.

« Last Edit: 21 May 2019, 19:08 by AGB »

Offline Clubsport S

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #645 on: 21 May 2019, 19:16 »

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the CSS and TCR together!

Offline Clubsport S

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #646 on: 21 May 2019, 19:18 »
I thought this thread needed a few more pictures. I took these before the car went off to the detailer but it really needs a proper clean. Also having our drive graded and resurfaced properly after the developer's incompetent attempts so feel a sense of achievement in having missed the earth moving equipment from the shots! The paint had the surface texture of sandpaper after shipping and production, I think the matt mirrors were smoother than the paint.

Dealer did as I asked and left the car entirely sealed including the roof and bonnet covers. I checked the car with a Scangrip inspection lamp and it's in pretty good condition. Orange peel all over it as I have come to expect from VW (particularly on C pillar) and there are a couple of sanding marks and a few light swirls which could be from the protective covers rubbing on corners. Minor work with an orbital polisher and actually a good colour to work on - hides the dirt well but enough contrast to work on unlike white which washes out with hot spots and makes it hard to inspect with directional inspection lights.

Given how pronounced the rear diffuser is, I'm thinking of putting some PPF on to it as it's going to suck up muck and be a nightmare to keep scratch free without a level of polishing and care that life is too short for.

Only initial impressions of the car (while keeping the revs down) is that the steering is very light. The exhaust doesn't have the crackle and pops of the CSS and sounds quite muted. Whether it'll bed in and become a bit more throaty remains to be seen but I've run it through all modes including sport. I'll post some pictures of the CSS and TCR together this weekend.

Vinyl TCR on the door is subtle and understated. I didn't go for the shouty hexagon decals. Looks really good.

Arrived on Pirellis so will swap out for Michelin CS2s. I guess the Pretoria only get the CS2s ex factory.

Shot with the GT4 which is a paint to sample colour - 7A1 Grey Black for comparison. Pure Grey has a bit more blue in it (colder) and in direct sunlight, is a bit darker than Audi's Nardo Grey but tone is very similar. Grey Black is much warmer in sunlight.

If anyone is considering one, you won't go wrong with Pure Grey. If anyone wants any pictures or images of spec choices, happy to take them for you, just comment and I'll do them this weekend.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the CSS and TCR together  :smiley:

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #647 on: 21 May 2019, 19:54 »
Looks great AGB! Can't wait to see the post-detail pics.
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline TCR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #648 on: 21 May 2019, 20:11 »

Looks soo good mate, cannot wait for mine to get here. I ordered mine at the end of feb and they have only just confirmed my build date. 10/06

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #649 on: 21 May 2019, 20:16 »
That looks rubbish. You must gutted. 😜
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.