Author Topic: are brake lights on or off while ACC auto-brakes?  (Read 2043 times)

Offline candywhite12

• Here all the time
are brake lights on or off while ACC auto-brakes?
« on: 09 August 2018, 11:40 »
so i am driving at night with ACC activated. When i slow down using the button (say from 80mph to 60mph) - should the break lights be going on in order to alert the driver that's behind me?  I noticed that sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, and even when they do, it's not instant.  Same thing as when i drive with, say, 80mph and there's a big slope, the car holds onto that 80mph but break lights don't seem to be turning on. Is this how it is?
Wife's: mk8 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr atlantic blue, DSG, Norfolk 17", pan s/r, leds
Now: mk7.5 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr tornado red, DSG, Singapore 17", pan s/r, leds
Before: mk6 GTI 5dr candy white, DSG, Monza Shadow 18", s/r, bi-Xenons, DCC
Even before that: mk5 GT 5dr tornado red, manual, s/r

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
Re: are brake lights on or off while ACC auto-brakes?
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2018, 12:22 »
You mean 70, right ;-)

I haven't noticed my brake lights but the car feels like it's being slowed down a lot faster than just coasting down to the new speed.  How do you know you're brake lights are coming on?
Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2018, 12:36 »
Its a question I've been meaning to ask for a long time. Breaking under ACC can be brutal. Obviously you can't see the brake lights
but I'm relying on the Germans to have thought of this already. Surely they come on.. Don't they?

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2018, 13:14 »
They don't come on instantly, depends on how had you brake.  If you're doing a sudden slow down they come on  but for gradual stuff they seem to come on if it brakes for a certain period of time.  For short braking, no they don't come on.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2018, 16:10 »
At night you can see.... if its actually using the brakes, the brake lights come on... but it might be using engine braking or just backing off the throttle... it does all those things...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline candywhite12

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2018, 12:26 »
You mean 70, right ;-)

I haven't noticed my brake lights but the car feels like it's being slowed down a lot faster than just coasting down to the new speed.  How do you know you're brake lights are coming on?

let's say 70, sure :) Well at night you can actually see the brake lights reflecting on the car following. However like i said it doesn't seem to be happening always and it's worrying because if i decide to go down from, well, 70 to say, 30 and for whatever reason i have ACC do it for me, i need to know that the driver following is being notified of the sudden change.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2018, 12:55 »
If people behind you don't realise the car in front is slowing then they probably shouldn't be driving. To be honest this is a bit of a non issue as if the functionality of acc was flawed then no car manufacturer would be allowed to use it. Drive your car and enjoy it and don't worry about your acc.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline candywhite12

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2018, 13:05 »
If people behind you don't realise the car in front is slowing then they probably shouldn't be driving. To be honest this is a bit of a non issue as if the functionality of acc was flawed then no car manufacturer would be allowed to use it. Drive your car and enjoy it and don't worry about your acc.

i disagree, it is an issue as people are often tailgating and i worry that someday they r gonna end up stuck on my boot... Not saying acc is flawed, i'm just asking whether there's something wrong with my car's system

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2018, 17:50 »
People will tailgate you regardless and again if they are that close then nothing will stop them bumping into you.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2018, 20:46 »
The Brake lights only come on when the brakes are used to slow down, just like normal driving. Engine braking would never show brake lights.