Author Topic: Has anyone ever painted the Defuser etc?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
Has anyone ever painted the Defuser etc?
« on: 08 August 2018, 13:18 »
Has anyone ever painted or had painted the rear defuser, side skirts and chin spoilers on a GTi, I was thinking about getting them done in Gloss black to match the recent black wing mirror covers etc?

MK7 GTi

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
Re: Has anyone ever painted the Defuser etc?
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2018, 13:34 »
Would it be easier and more durable to swap them out for Clubsport parts?
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2018, 13:41 »

Hmmm not sure?, I believe its quite easy to remove all the trims?

MK7 GTi

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2018, 18:48 »
I have considered having the lower front grille and trims around the front fogs wet dipped (hydrographics) But was put off when I realised the bumper would have to come off. It’s a shame they didn’t do it seeing as they have already done it in gloss black on the top grille  :angry:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2018, 18:59 »

Hmmm not sure?, I believe its quite easy to remove all the trims?

Might be easy to remove but would it end up chipping and cracking?? The CS parts are all gloss.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2018, 12:13 »
My experience (from detailing) is that gloss black very prone to chipping and marking, especially if not factory.

Would look good though. Mk7.5 R has gloss bumper parts and saw a new Q3 Black Ed the other day and they have black gloss trim and look really good.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2018, 12:27 »
I removed, prepped and painted a diffuser a couple of years ago, not a Golf but doesn't matter in this case.  I actually used Hamerite Black from an aerosol, a few light coats did the trick.  My thinking was that whatever etches onto metal in this paint is probably good enough to etch on to plastic.

Not had any chips afterwards, in the three years until I sold the car.

Was quite impressed with my workman ship, and as the diffuser is low down it doesn't have to be as good as the trim nearer to the eye.
Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Offline dave7268

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2018, 19:16 »
Yeah I got mine done after I fitted the CS rear diffuser and it looked really smart. I went the whole hog and got not only the side skirts and front chins done but also the grill/vents by the front fogs and the black plastic trim that runs along the lower part of the front.

Good friend of mine smoothed them all down with a plastic paint filler/undercoat and then sprayed them gloss black. Said it was a blood pain of a job but even he was impressed with the result.  :cool:

Word of warning - if you do go down that route be very careful taking off the side skirts as the clips holding them in place are very easy to snap.

Sorry, but I never got around to taking photos of the car with the trim fitted so nothing to share photos wise.
7GTI PP DSG - no longer