Author Topic: Speed camera Database  (Read 3167 times)

Offline naxcars

• Not said much yet
Re: Speed camera Database
« Reply #10 on: 08 August 2018, 20:54 »
I would like to know this too. I've got to sit a speed awareness course this month!

Naxcars - Did you manage to find out?

DTX3 - I'm sure someone on the forum  put the speed cameras onto a separate SD card that went into the media player in the glovebox but this only came up on your screen, with no audible alert.  i think theres no other option than a dashcam with speedcamera alert or using the iphone :(
2014 Golf GTI Performance Pack: Nav & Rear Parking Camera, DTUK FRS+

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 08 August 2018, 22:00 »
I've got audible alerts on mine. I don't think it did it on 1st Gen units just mib2s.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline naxcars

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 08 August 2018, 22:05 »
I've got audible alerts on mine. I don't think it did it on 1st Gen units just mib2s.

good to know mcmaddy so it'll work on my 67 plate golf? e.g audible alerts?
2014 Golf GTI Performance Pack: Nav & Rear Parking Camera, DTUK FRS+

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 08 August 2018, 22:43 »

Correct, but the German website which would convert the .asc files from Pocketgps, adding the option for sound alerts, has disappeared. The only other way to get the POIs onto your nav is to use Car-Net. Doing it this way does not allow the option for sound alerts - unless someone knows different?
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 08 August 2018, 23:06 »
I add mine via SD card and the audible alerts work.

Offline DTX3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 09 August 2018, 12:35 »
I add mine via SD card and the audible alerts work.

Would you mind providing the link to where to managed to find them?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 09 August 2018, 12:52 »
It's not a link and they aren't free. If you want speed cams you generally have to pay for them.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 09 August 2018, 13:29 »
As Mcmaddy said, the actual speed camera databases aren't usually free. I have a paid account with pocketgpsworld, and the camera (and other POI's) database seem to get updated several times weekly. But this does come at a price (albeit a small one for a subscription).

Getting them onto the SD card ready to be accepted by the car used to be "relatively" simple in that the old VW Germany website had a portal to a part of their site where you would load the databases up (with pictures) and you then had the choice as to whether or not to include the small "ding" noise when a camera was approached. s Talk-Torque said above, this site seems to have disappeared and now it seems VW wants you to load them up as Personal POI's as part of the Car-Net app.

Whilst I did try this method (as it was easier to do than the VW site), it doesn't appear to give you the ability to add a warning tone (unless it's changed recently) ? TBH, the bong is quite subtle anyway from the old German website method, and not like a decent external Sat Nav where it would sat something along the lines of "Warning, Speed Camera ahead" or something, so you aren't losing much really.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 09 August 2018, 15:04 »
Just a thought but have people enabled the sound so POIs actually bong? I've always turned the bong off as it's crap anyway  :whistle:

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 09 August 2018, 22:05 »
Just a thought but have people enabled the sound so POIs actually bong? I've always turned the bong off as it's crap anyway  :whistle:

How recently have you used the German site to translate the .asc files to POIs? Presumably you use Pocketgps, like I do, but the last time I tried to do an update the link I had used before to get to the translation page went somewhere else. I did a search, as I had managed to find it when it did this on a previous occasion, but this time I could not. The only other way I could find to load the database to POIs was via CarNet, which I did, but, despite checking all the settings, I cannot get bongs with POIs loaded this way. Sure the bong is useless, but it should work and it annoys me that it doesn’t.
Anyway, just waiting to be able to use Waze and cancel my subscription to Pocketgps.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.