Author Topic: ACC & Modes Explanation Please  (Read 5536 times)

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
ACC & Modes Explanation Please
« on: 03 August 2018, 13:34 »
Ive wanted to know how you actually control the ACC on the GTi please, also the driving modes, if I use Normal/ECO/Sport what does it actually do to the engine if anything?, or does it just turn off the Soundaktor?

MK7 GTi

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
Re: ACC & Modes Explanation Please
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2018, 14:30 »
Acc- press the button on the steering wheel when you get to desired speed and it stays at that speed unless you press either of the other control buttons to add/decrease speed or the car in front slows down
Modes- they either hold a gear for longer/shorter times in the Rev range and change the map for better performance/MPG

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2018, 14:59 »
Eco - dulls throttle response if you like your GTI to feel asthmatic and makes overtaking on the motorway a chore. Amazingly it makes bu@@er all difference to economy.
Normal - gives you a bit more go and some noise from the soundaktor. Still boring.
Sport - more noise (which can be annoying) and better throttle response.

Can't say I've ever noticed any difference with fuel economy between the three. I keep mine in normal as I like a bit of noise from the soundaktor but I also use a pedalbox to make the car feel the way I think it should in the right hand pedal department.

I've never tried the acc.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2018, 15:14 »
Mode button doesn't do anything at all to the engine map! In sport mode it sharpens the throttle response, in eco it dulls the throttle response (total waste of time having eco on a GTi)
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jeffers40

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2018, 15:14 »
Sport also increases the steering weight which I don't really like. I usually have my car in 'individual' with everything set to sport apart from the steering. Think the extra weight on the steering in sport mode just feels false and robs the steering of some of it's feel.

I also quite like the fake engine noise  :embarrassed: gives the car a bit of a throaty induction noise to it
2016 GTi Clubsport Edition 40

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2018, 06:54 »
It depends what driving mood you are in but I tend to find the smoothest combination is in Eco but pulling the DSG lever back into sport. It’s almost like you are driving a different car!!
As others have said Eco doesn’t seem make a lot of difference to your mpg but stunts your max A/C output and annoyingly disables the bendy lights so I never use it at night. I also think the sport setting needs to be more aggressive and responsive. To me it never feels either  :undecided:
I guess its because the Race mode or “idiot button” in my R made such a noticeable difference when you pressed it it made you sit up and take notice. You just don’t get that difference in any mode in the GTi.
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2018, 11:44 »
A noticeable difference to what? The only thing it changes is the throttle response! You have the same bhp no matter what mode you choose.

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2018, 13:01 »
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/driving

I tend to use Eco for town driving, lighter steering and smoother throttle response. Normal for long motorway journeys and Sport for Highland back roads, as it tightens up the steering and makes the throttle response much sharper.

All 3 modes are much improved since the remap.  :whistle:
2015 Tornado Red 5dr GTI PP, Manual, Austin wheels.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2018, 13:51 »
A noticeable difference to what? The only thing it changes is the throttle response! You have the same bhp no matter what mode you choose.

I agree with your comments however what I was referring to was the fact that selecting Race opened all four exhausts and audibly at least it used to pop and burble really nicely on the overrun and fart like a goat after a vindaloo on the upshifts and made a noticeable difference !!
Unfortunately none of the modes in the GTi do this and are almost indistinguishable from each other which is a real shame and something VW could have easily remedied to put the final polish on an otherwise fantastic car  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 04 August 2018, 13:53 by JB GTI »
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2018, 14:40 »
Some GTis do the pop and bang thing but more recent ones including the R have had the feature mapped out. Can't see the point of it to be honest, if you want to look like a twunt in an Audi then buy an Audi  :grin: :grin: