Author Topic: New Maps  (Read 10913 times)

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
Re: New Maps
« Reply #30 on: 01 August 2018, 15:43 »
Thanks … just used car-net and it worked first time. Happy days!
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 01 August 2018, 18:19 »

When you say worked, can you get the POI alarm to sound? I could, using the German site/SD card method, but, no matter what I do, I cannot using CarNet. The sound doesn’t give enough warning for most speed cameras, but it does remind you that they are there and, anyway, I like things to work properly!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #32 on: 02 August 2018, 07:43 »
Using the built in Nav system's POI alert for speed cameras is rubbish.

You are virtually on top of the camera and it just goes "bong" very quietly.

Forget that, use Waze (via androidauto) or slap on a in car sat nav unit.... or just pay attention and drive at the speed limits (near a camera)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 02 August 2018, 10:10 »
Using the built in Nav system's POI alert for speed cameras is rubbish.

You are virtually on top of the camera and it just goes "bong" very quietly.

Forget that, use Waze (via androidauto) or slap on a in car sat nav unit.... or just pay attention and drive at the speed limits (near a camera)

Yes, yes, but it's better than nothing (just)! Got used to scanning the screen for symbols, out of the corner of my eye, on the 300 yard setting. I'm Apple, so waiting to try Waze after the September iOS update.
Roger.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #34 on: 02 August 2018, 10:38 »
Waze is REALLY good, because the speed camera audio alerts only trigger when you are over the speed limit and the database is online so no fiddly updates. Plus the speed camera detections and other warnings occur even when its no in nav mode.

The Nav itself is really good too - definitely the fastest way to get A to B but also doesn't make stupid diversions around traffic like the VW one does.

Definitely get straight on that update, you'll love it!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #35 on: 06 August 2018, 09:58 »

When you say worked, can you get the POI alarm to sound? I could, using the German site/SD card method, but, no matter what I do, I cannot using CarNet. The sound doesn’t give enough warning for most speed cameras, but it does remind you that they are there and, anyway, I like things to work properly!

I can confirm no POI alarm bing anymore.   :cry:

MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline DanDuda48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #36 on: 16 August 2018, 23:28 »
Some German websites have firmware downloads on them but to be honest if the unit works properly then leave it alone.

If you have a link, I would give it a try. Thanks
2018 Golf GTI PP White Silver; DCC, Discover Pro; Lane Assist & DLA; Parking pack; Climate windscreen; rear tints.
2016 Golf GTD Oryx white; DCC; Tech pack [=Discover Pro + Dynaudio]; Sport & Sound; Lane Assist & DLA; Parking pack; Climate windscreen; rear tints

Offline sandsy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #37 on: 29 August 2018, 21:07 »
Hi guys,

Long term browser but finally joined to ask for some advice on my sat nav. Have a 67 plate GTI 7.5 pp - last week drove to Glasgow airport and as i drove through fields rather than the M8 decided to update maps. Now wish i hadnt bothered!

So I have the Discover Pro with an SD card. I backed up the VW one to my computer then tried the Discover Care - kept on failing. Then tried the download and realised that the download was 25gb which is bigger than the 16gb VW card. Therefore bought a new card and tried that. Unzipped straight to SD card.

When i plug it into the car it comes up "Software Update Data is available", if i go to settings and click update software it says "Error: no data available. Please insert a source with software update or check the source". Now i think i may have buggered the navigation and this is me trying to update the actual system firmware but i cant see any option to install the maps anywhere

Final nail in the coffin is if i put the original backed up maps on the VW SD card and put this in the car and press Nav - it simply has a map of Europe with a message saying "Navigation Database not available".

I really feel like i have broken it and dont know what to try next. I am having another go downloading through the Discover Care on the VW card but from what i have read it rarely works so not hopeful.

Does anyone have any advice - sorry for long message. I have some pics of the screens if that helps.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 29 August 2018, 21:47 »
If you've got nav pro then you won't have a VW supplied SD card so it sounds like you have discover navigation. Maybe check what unit you have and then download the relevant update. Also when copying files make sure you have the correct file structure or it won't detect the update.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 29 August 2018, 22:03 »
Yes, this ^^^.

Discover Pro data will not work with Discover Nav. Your backup should still work, though, so make sure that you have replaced it onto the VW supplied card properly.
There are options for only downloading Western Europe, which will fit onto the VW supplied card. Only the VW supplied card will work with the system.
Roger.