Author Topic: My very brief(ish) MK7.5 review (from the point of view of a diesel owner)  (Read 8429 times)

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
in that case it's a fast Taxi  :grin:
2018 Golf GTI. 3 Door. DSG. Tornado Red.
Eibach Pro Kit. OZ Hyper GT HLT Wheels. (18x8, ET50).
Forge 11mm spacers on rear wheels. 5mm on fronts.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Actually, the likes of McMaddy and I as well as a few others that came from GTD’s to GTI’s have a unique perspective on the diesel GTD’s,  more so than those that ridicule them and have never driven one.

They really are brilliant fast and frugal all rounders, that the Govement has screwed over with its demonisation on Diesel engines. For a derv, they are really very refined and surprisingly quick, with all the best styling bits from the GTI. Yes I do prefer the GTI (but then I’m bound to say that), but still loved the GTD’s.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
my last car was a Leon Diesel (150 FR) and before that I had a Scirocco 170GT, both brilliant, fast and economical, but the one thing you cant escape from is the noise they make :grin:

Also I think it was Clarkson who said if you're single and drive a diesel you'll never get a woman, because they will all just think you're tight  :grin: :grin: :grin:
« Last Edit: 22 June 2018, 15:25 by Jeff Wood »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
I had an 05 plate Leon Fr 150 and at the time thought it was rapid compared to anything else I'd driven. Only issue was that it had a foist smell all the time which was probably the door seals looking back now. All the diesels I had after that were more refined than the Leon so didn't feel as raw. Get to the Gtd and it felt pedestrian compared to the Fr which it obviously wasn't but that was the perception.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline John F

• Not said much yet
That 05 diesel Leon must have been an old pump duse engine?

We had an 01 130ps 1.9 tdi A4, and then later an 07 140ps 2.0tdi  VW Touran with pd diesel engines. Fast and frugal, but very agricultural. Especially the Touran, likely due to less sound insulation compared with the A4.

We now have a 17 plate VW Touran with a common rail 150ps diesel engine. Massively more refined, and surprisingly fast when not loaded with kids and luggage! Did a run to London last weekend just with my wife, and averaged 62mpg there and back.

But, more crucially..... My GTI PP get's delivered next Friday!!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Actually, the likes of McMaddy and I as well as a few others that came from GTD’s to GTI’s have a unique perspective on the diesel GTD’s,  more so than those that ridicule them and have never driven one.

They really are brilliant fast and frugal all rounders, that the Govement has screwed over with its demonisation on Diesel engines. For a derv, they are really very refined and surprisingly quick, with all the best styling bits from the GTI. Yes I do prefer the GTI (but then I’m bound to say that), but still loved the GTD’s.

Do people on here riducule them? Can't say I've noticed, just some light hearted banter. One thing about this forum that I like is the general openess and interest shown in non-forum specific vehicles, VW and others. The Civic Type R though is the exception of course because of how minging it looks :whistle: :wink:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here

Do people on here riducule them? Can't say I've noticed, just some light hearted banter. One thing about this forum that I like is the general openess and interest shown in non-forum specific vehicles, VW and others. The Civic Type R though is the exception of course because of how minging it looks :whistle: :wink:

Civic Type R; no doubt a great car, but with the looks only a mother could love......... :grin:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here

Do people on here riducule them? Can't say I've noticed, just some light hearted banter. One thing about this forum that I like is the general openess and interest shown in non-forum specific vehicles, VW and others. The Civic Type R though is the exception of course because of how minging it looks :whistle: ;)

Yeah I meant ridicule in the broad light humoured sense of course , like references to "driving a tractor, "sounds like a Massey Ferguson", Taxi etc.

All good humour, but they seriously are good cars. TBH let's face it, we don't have a bad performance Golf at all. The GTD, GTI, Clubsport and R are all pretty much at the top of their respective classes and it means there's something for everyone.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Yeah I meant ridicule in the broad light humoured sense of course , like references to "driving a tractor, "sounds like a Massey Ferguson", Taxi etc.

Oh, I thought they were like that :wink:

Originally I was looking at a GTD due to the very pocket friendly £20 VED but I worked out that my mileage and the DPF were incompatible. That's what lead me to a GTI. Very happy now :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
yeah its all just banter  :grin:

everytime my sister in law calls round in her Jag XE diesel I always say someone called a Taxi, I just cant help it, sorry :)