Author Topic: Bumpy ride on my GTI  (Read 6225 times)

Offline bumpyride

• Just got here
Re: Bumpy ride on my GTI
« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2018, 22:16 »
Wow what an amazing response, thank you all! First of all I’ll get it back to 36psi. I’ll also check about the pucks - though it’s an ex-demo with 5k miles. Surely a dealership employee hasn’t driven 6 months with pucks in! I think the clue is in the tyres. I wonder if they’ll swap my tyres and wheels and upgrade one of their used EVOs with my set? Or else just buy new tyres, would my existing ones that arent yet worn be worth anything??

So yes, all I’ve heard is that it’s a smooth ride and not a hardcore boy racer car but I haven’t found that to be the case. And im. Only 40!  Maybe I’ll test drive another GTI.

Thanks again.

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 14 June 2018, 07:20 »
I would suggest getting initial rainsport 3 Tyres as they have the soft sidewall.
Also get them in 235/40 instead of 225/40..that will add more comfort.
And then sell your existing tyres..
2018 Golf GTI. 3 Door. DSG. Tornado Red.
Eibach Pro Kit. OZ Hyper GT HLT Wheels. (18x8, ET50).
Forge 11mm spacers on rear wheels. 5mm on fronts.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 14 June 2018, 10:28 »
I dont like being shook around either

I ordered my car with leather seats which are constructed using memory foam and the ride is superb.
I was also advised against a GTI or TD version because of the lack of ground clearance and their low profile tyres would deliver a harsher ride.

One option worth considering would be to go to the company that recovers car seats in leather and get them to build you a custom seat with added foam.

NB When researching a softer seat for my 94year old Father I was told that the Golf seat is regarded as the very best production seat in the car industry.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 14 June 2018, 10:44 »
Never had an issue with the ride comfort in my previous 2 GTD's or my current GTI, and to be honest they still continue to amaze me how well they ride considering it's a hot hatch with 19" alloys (in my case). To be fair ll 3 have had DCC, but I've heard good things also about cars without DCC. I have to say though, on the motorway with the DCC set to comfort, sometimes you could be forgiven for thinking you are riding in a big German executive barge as the ride in that mode is so good.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline bumpyride

• Just got here
« Reply #14 on: 14 June 2018, 10:46 »
Ok great. I actually think I should convince the dealership to swap the tyres round for me, and maybe wheels as well. After that maybe I’ll look at the seat but I suspect it’s the same as my old golf seat, but in tartan :).

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline John F

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 14 June 2018, 13:16 »
I was having back pain problems with my current car (Audi A4 Sport, sport seats but no lumbar support). This was not due to the ride, as it's quite soft (no S-Line suspension). I finally worked out that I had the seat set too low. This meant that my legs were lying fairly straight from my hips, with not much of a bend in the knees. This must have resulted in increased pressure on my lower back when driving.

Raising my seat has created a more pronounced bend in my knees, and this has had a dramatic effect on my back pain when driving. It really has made the car so much more comfortable to drive, even if its soon to be replaced by a Golf GTI!

Of course, this might not work for everyone. Particularly taller drivers who may end up with their head stuck against roof lining if they raise the seat much (I am only 5'10").

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 14 June 2018, 14:31 »
It might be worth seeking out a professional to help get your seat position right.  Simple things like seat height, back position and the steering wheel position can all affect you.  I found I was reaching a bit much in my old GTD and just bringing the steering wheel closer to me helped.
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #18 on: 14 June 2018, 14:48 »
My R is a little firm even on the 18's. It's not uncomfortable though and it feel's great once pressing on
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 15 June 2018, 12:01 »
Doesn't help you I know (future reference?) My R on 19s is brilliant, I barely ever us DCC (comfort) and rides way way better than our Mk7 GTI. Ride, performance, handling a year on and love it even more. I still say these are an absolute steal IMO if you can cope with 25mpg daily and up to 35mpg long run at near legal.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.