Author Topic: Google Earth on MIB2 (mk7) Discover Pro  (Read 2849 times)

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Google Earth on MIB2 (mk7) Discover Pro
« on: 21 June 2018, 19:29 »
...does it work? I have never tried it but thought of giving it a go, connected the car to the phone via WLAN for internet access but still the "Google Earth" option in the Navigation View menu is greyed out. Read somewhere that VW has stopped this service?

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
Re: Google Earth on MIB2 (mk7) Discover Pro
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2018, 22:03 »
Do you mean this option? Mine works ok on MIB2 Discover Pro connected to home router, not that I've used it before haha.

Let me know if you need to check any settings.

Andy

GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2018, 22:09 »
Do you mean this option? Mine works ok on MIB2 Discover Pro connected to home router, not that I've used it before haha.

Let me know if you need to check any settings.

Andy

Yep, that's the one! So yours is open for selecting so it must mean it's still working as opposed to what I read, interesting...

I connected the car with the phone via WLAN and got that wifi icon showing up there like you, and with full signal, but the option was still greyed out. Do I need to tick any other option to let the car know it's been connected to a network with internet connection? There's an option somewhere reading "data management of VW apps" or similar, does that have anything to do with it maybe?

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2018, 22:27 »
Had this on my GTD with the Nav Pro and it worked well. As I understand it however, VW have dropped Google Earth and Street View from the Golf at least from about the middle of last year. It will continue to function for owners that already have it until the 3 years worth of the free Guide and Inform license is in use, then after that it will stop working even if you purchase a new Guide and Inform license from VW.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2018, 22:29 »
I do have that option selected but not sure it should matter when connected to wifi - you never know though. It did take a few minutes after I went back to my car for the Google Earth option to become available as it was originally greyed out - maybe it's just a bit temperamental!
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2018, 22:45 »
Had this on my GTD with the Nav Pro and it worked well. As I understand it however, VW have dropped Google Earth and Street View from the Golf at least from about the middle of last year. It will continue to function for owners that already have it until the 3 years worth of the free Guide and Inform license is in use, then after that it will stop working even if you purchase a new Guide and Inform license from VW.

I bought the car in 2016 with the 3y of CarNet but I have never registered it for CarNet use and only today I connected it to WLAN for the first time and tried to check the option. Does that mean it should work in mine or not?

I do have that option selected but not sure it should matter when connected to wifi - you never know though. It did take a few minutes after I went back to my car for the Google Earth option to become available as it was originally greyed out - maybe it's just a bit temperamental!

Maybe the "few minutes" is the key here, I immediately  tried to see if the option would be enabled, went back and forth couple of times and then gave up and disconnected. Will try again tomorrow leaving it connected via WLAN for a while before going back to the Nav menu. Although as I wrote above I've never set up CarNet (even though I have it since 2016) so not sure If I lost my slot now...

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2018, 23:28 »
I don't think you should have missed your slot, I only registered for carnet on this particular car a couple of weeks ago (although I did have a carnet account already on a different car). Hopefully it will work without issue next time you try it.

Sootchucker - I remember you asking about the new mk 7.5 standard unit vs the mk 7 Nav Pro... I have just gone the other way to you - mk7.5 to mk7 (Clubsport) and I'm glad I've got the Nav Pro in this as the standard unit in the 7.5 is bloody good!
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2018, 23:41 »
So I registered on CarNet today (wow all that personal data required... i remembered it was the reason I had quit the registration 2 years ago) and after I did, the Google Earth option became selectable and it's now working fine. Makes sense that I needed to do it as the GEarth appears to be one of Car-Net's services (had no idea how the whole thing works before).

On another note, I think I had read somewhere that you can, via Car-Net, set some geographic limitations on where the car is supposed to be driven, but not sure as to what that limitation brings? Like alert you if it's detected being driven outside set borders? Maybe I have imagined the whole thing??

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2018, 08:11 »
Excellent news! No idea about the geofence type thing but sounds good if it works... I'll have a look
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190