Author Topic: 19" looks great but a bit fragile  (Read 7046 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: 19" looks great but a bit fragile
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2018, 00:38 »
Sorry guys I thought I had replied on here.
Thanks for all the advice and kind words.

I decided in the end to just get a set of the matt carbon Fox Racing alloys as above with winter tyres on them. I'll just hopefully put these on for only a few weeks until I sell a kidney and get another Pretoria alloy  :grin:

The 4 replacement alloys, tyres and delivery cost the same as one Pretoria alloy  :rolleyes: My daughter says I should just sell the other 3  :grin:

On the bright side, Lepsons returned my 1 good Pretoria today 10 days after me sending them it. They said they weren't happy with the finish and stripped it down and repainted it 3 times before they felt they could sent it back to me. The finish is superb. Its like its come straight out the factory.

The light was fading and my other alloys are dirty so I'm not sure about the colour match. Maybe the new one is a slight shade darker but I'm not quite sure.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2018, 04:51 »
There seems to be a photo or two missing Stevie!  :wink:

How do the new wheels look?

I nearly suggested the same as your daughter.

At least if you have wheels you can store the Prets until either an odd wheel appears or you bite the bullet to purchase a new one.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2018, 22:07 »
The new wheels haven't arrived yet Andy so I currently only have 3 wheels  :cry:

As soon as they arrive I'll get them on with a couple of pictures.
I had toyed for so long in getting winter wheels / tyres so its just made me stop the procrastinating  :laugh:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2018, 13:06 »
The new wheels haven't arrived yet Andy so I currently only have 3 wheels  :cry:

As soon as they arrive I'll get them on with a couple of pictures.
I had toyed for so long in getting winter wheels / tyres so its just made me stop the procrastinating  :laugh:

It's a shame you're not closer Stevie or I'd have loaned you my Belvederes for a while.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2018, 19:47 »
Thanks for the offer Andy.

I've put my sons GTD wheelspacer on for just now as he is getting rid of his car in the next couple of weeks.
Its quite embarrassing the number of cars that are flying past me  :laugh:

Offline JasonGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2018, 08:47 »
Not having much luck with my wheels recently.
My tread had worn although still on the legal side when I lost control at a roundabout. Probably a combination of worn tyres, slightly too fast but more so an oily surface.

I slid into the side of the kerb so had to purchase a new wheel at the bargain price of £787

I also hit a pot hole on an unlit road after being diverted cause the motorway was shut. It was a planned diversion so you would think they would check the surface of the road they were diverting cars down!!

Anyway here's the damage:

Took it to a few local wheel refurbers who all mostly said the same they would heat the damaged area, smack it with a hammer and then repaint it. Nobody could guarantee a paint match which is fair enough and some said that you would still be able to see a flat spot.

So I decided to send it down to Lepsons that have a great reputation on here and other places.

I got a phone call saying they had stripped it and were about to put it on to the machine to stretch it in to place but there was the possibility it could break. An hour later and you guessed it, I got the phone call saying my alloy had cracked under pressure  :cry:  So my car is currently sitting on axle stands and unable to be used.

I love the look of the 19" but I can't keep forking out nearly £800 if I hit a pothole and get that kind of damage.

So I've got a few different scenarios:

I'm possibly going to go aftermarket and get a set of 18" but don't know which ones. I quite like the Fox Racing matt black ones. Although I can't see them on the site as 18" any more.
Or the carbon ones that are 18"

I also like these BBS ones.

Or source another 19" Pretoria and just use them for the summer with less potholes but still get aftermarket.

I'm looking for recommendations for alloy wheels sites. I've used www.wheelbasealloys.com and they seem quite reasonable can anyone recommend other decent sites. 

Anyone have a 19" Pretoria for sale?

Bad luck Bud, I've looking into the Fox MS007's that you are looking at too, they are available in Matt Black in 18's, call DemonTweaks I got a price of £425 for a set, cheaper than everyone else, the only thing that is stopping me is not knowing what they will look like on the car. Buy them so that I can see  :laugh: :laugh:
2018 MK 7.5 GTD 3 Dr in Pure White,Extras,Front Splitter, Carbon Exhaust Tips.

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2018, 10:18 »
My new 18" oz  wheels will be arriving this week so I'll post some pics of those soon...
2018 Golf GTI. 3 Door. DSG. Tornado Red.
Eibach Pro Kit. OZ Hyper GT HLT Wheels. (18x8, ET50).
Forge 11mm spacers on rear wheels. 5mm on fronts.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2018, 10:10 »
Bad luck Bud, I've looking into the Fox MS007's that you are looking at too, they are available in Matt Black in 18's, call DemonTweaks I got a price of £425 for a set, cheaper than everyone else, the only thing that is stopping me is not knowing what they will look like on the car. Buy them so that I can see  :laugh: :laugh:

I decided to go matt carbon as I thought the black would be too much on the lapiz blue.

They would be fine on your white Golf though.

Offline JasonGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2018, 11:37 »

I decided to go matt carbon as I thought the black would be too much on the lapiz blue.

They would be fine on your white Golf though.

When you get them on please post a few photo's I'd like to see them on before I take the leap, out of interest did they sell at a good price? as above Demon Tweaks has them at £425.
2018 MK 7.5 GTD 3 Dr in Pure White,Extras,Front Splitter, Carbon Exhaust Tips.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 13 June 2018, 01:17 »
Just a wee update after finally receiving some replacement wheels.

I've just went for winter tyres on these and only using them just now until the 2 x Michelin PS4s arrives for the rear wheels.
I just ended up buying a new Pretoria as the ones I seen on ebay were needing refurbed anyway.

I think the offset is slightly lower than the Prets so the wheels stick out slightly more which is not a bad thing.
The colour is actually a bit darker than the pictures and for me suits the car well.

I then got to thinking, Whats to stop someone buying replica Pretorias and putting them on the car as they are about to trade it in. The dealership will never know!!!

[iimg]https://s33.postimg.cc/3oep3p5n3/car_3.jpg[/img]