Author Topic: Front suspension advice needed..  (Read 4733 times)

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
Front suspension advice needed..
« on: 09 March 2018, 17:38 »
The local roads over here are taking their toll...getting a few rattles in the front end. Is it better to try and source individual bushes, rubbers etc, or go for something like this kit?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-VW-GOLF-1-9-GT-TDI-FRONT-SUSPENSION-ARMS-LINKS-INNER-OUTER-RACK-TIE-ROD-ENDS/161301559567?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I would welcome some advice.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Front suspension advice needed..
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2018, 19:19 »
It depends if you are handy with the spanners and have access to the tools

When I had my MK4 I bought new wishbones but had the TT rear bushes pressed in. The arms with new ball joints so once the bushes were pressed in, it was a simple case of just swapping the wishbones out

The TT bushes are solid rubber so help provide better steering feel but crucially they don’t harm the ride quality  :smiley:

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2018, 20:11 »
Thanks for that...I have a fully equipped workshop with all the tools and a couple of decent presses, so no problem there.
The main thing I was after...is it better to buy the whole kit, wishbones etc, or the bits and bobs, as required.

Cheers Rhyso, I appreciate you taking the time.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2018, 23:06 »
In terms of time I’d replace everything in one go; you’ll feel the biggest benefit then  :smiley:

What would be very annoying is to replace some bits and then something else fails a mile down the road  :laugh:

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2018, 09:46 »
In terms of time I’d replace everything in one go; you’ll feel the biggest benefit then  :smiley:

What would be very annoying is to replace some bits and then something else fails a mile down the road  :laugh:

Yes. What he said. If you're taking them off and have access to equipment swap the lot out for new.
I did the full TT front cast wishbone, arb and hub swap when fitting coilovers and 312 front brakes. All new bushes, bearings, bolts etc.
It drives on rails now, and stops well too! 😎

Build thread clicky

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2018, 10:59 »
Great, thanks for that. Does the TT stuff fit straight on, or is a matter of changing everything? I'm well practiced with doing this type of thing with Jeeps and similar, so not daunted. The main problem I have here, is the ready availability of parts...I can get it all sent from the UK, but usually takes about 10 days for stuff to arrive. I don't want to discover something I need and have to leave the car up on blocks while I wait for it to arrive.
While I'm at it, can you suggest a supplier or specific brand...lots of crappy copy stuff available on the Bay and I've been caught before.

Cheers

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2018, 06:31 »
Mine was all oem apart from aftermarket  discs and pads. The tt hubs and wishbones were second hand but I refurbished them. Spent a few months collecting parts and quite a bit of money when I did it!
Have full parts list, pm me if you want it, I can email it over ;)

Build thread clicky

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2018, 11:14 »
Thanks for the info mate. I bumped into a chap yesterday who has done the same as you and he has quite a lot of what is required, so I'll see how I go. He was intending to do both of his cars, but one was written off in a prang before he got around to doing the job.
Once I have an idea of what he has to sell, I'll pop you a PM and we can take it from there.

Cheers