Author Topic: Full House!  (Read 31334 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Full House!
« on: 07 May 2017, 14:03 »
I can now announce that I've officially become one of the small band of people that have owned an example of each of the Performance Golfs (excluding the GTE which is an imposter at this point in time) and worse still all of them were in the same colour, and all manuals with pretty standard spec.

I "accidentally" became the owner of this a day or two ago:

The tough decision had been made to retire off the poor ol' GTD after seven long weeks of faithful service with it having amassed a mighty 500 miles. Its battle scars (one tiny stone chip on the front bumper) were lovingly touched in and it was gracefully put out to grass.

How did it all come about so soon you might ask? (well my wife certainly asked only not quite as delicately as that, it was more disbelief when I made the happy announcement to her when she got home from work a week and a half ago)

In a strange turn of events (which kind of sums up my life) we'd been invited over to see my nephew's new house. The irony of it all was he bought the house because when visiting us last year my wife had talked him into having a look round the show home on the estate which is just around the corner from me. He then bought an identical house to the show home several days afterwards having previously had no particular intentions of buying a new house just yet.
As my nephew lives 30 ish miles away from me I had a quick nose to see what interesting stock the local dealer had in thinking I'd combine the visit and hopefully they'd have a face-lifted Golf GTI/D/R in for me to have a gander at.
They happened to have in a Clubsport GTI and I got chatting to the salesman about it who was raving about it. I appreciate it's his job to rave about stuff he's selling but he was going a bit overboard. Out of curiosity I asked him about figures and he immediately got all defensive and said there were no deals to be had on Clubsports on orders of VW and that this particular car was going off to one of their other branches anyway. And that ended that conversation.
Being a curious sort of person I rang another dealer, 20 odd miles in the other direction as they had an almost identical car in for the same price. Again I was treated to instant raving about the car and again I put the question of figures to the salesperson.
This time my eyes opened a bit as I heard what I wasn't expecting to hear.
My GTD as bought with the £3250 VW discount as it was one of the very last off the line, on top of that I had a fair old dealer discount too and the thing cost me what seemed a bargain at the time for a new car coming in at under £22k. To put this into perspective and this is the reasoning I used when I bought it, a new three door mk5 Golf GTI with no nav, no foldy mirrors, no xenons, no 18" wheels, no gimmicky keyless entry etc cost a whisker under £20k when it was launched in 2004/5. Considering mine is a 5 door too which would take the price of the mk5 GTI up to just under £21k back then with little chance of much of a discount...
I bought the GTD thinking it would do me for a few years, it's a great car, it has the power exactly where you need it for day to day driving and returns good fuel economy too. I didn't use it much but when I did it was generally for longer journeys as I have another car for bombing around town and commuting most days.
I was quite happy with the GTD. I had a few mods for it (DTUK tuning box and PedalBox) and was looking at getting some new wheels for it just to put my stamp on it.
But alas, in a similar way that my nephew's visit turned into a house purchase, me visiting my nephew's new house ended up in me making a car purchase (even though it was at a different dealer).
To my surprise the dealer offered me back pretty much what I paid for the GTD and even knocked a bit of money off the Clubsport. So you could argue that I got back what I paid on my GTD plus a bit more, or argue it another way in that I got top book for my GTD and a tidyish discount on the Clubsport.
The Clubsport cost me a fair bit on top of the GTD obviously and it isn't even brand new, it seems all the Clubsports that were sat in showrooms were pre-registered before 1st April and generally it seems became the Sales Manager's company cars as during negotiations I phoned a few other dealers with similar cars as research to make sure I was getting a decent deal out of it all. Admittedly I could have picked up a slightly better deal by travelling a long distance but the dealer I bought the car from were excellent to deal with which counts for a fair bit in my book.

What's it like to drive? I'll quickly run through the previous mk7's I've owned to base my opinions on.

GTI PP
I ordered one of the first GTIs which didn't end up as one of the first due to a six month wait for it. Never again I thought as by the time it arrived my enthusiasm had waned a bit thanks to how good my mk6 GTI still seemed.
The GTI was a 3 door in PW with nav and park assist plus rear camera as options.
I'd ordered a 3 door as in my eyes it looked a bit special and a white 3 door was what VW used in their advertising so I took it on good grounds that the arty advertising people knew a thing or two about what they were doing.
I'd fully expected to keep the PP for three years and that was the plan as I then expected the Edition 40 to be released which would be a likely next purchase.
The mk7 GTI PP was a very underrated car. I'm sure it put out more than 230bhp as standard as it went really well, was amazingly flexible and also had excellent fuel economy.
While I owned it I often questioned whether a GTD with a tuning box would be just as good, if not better but wondering about it was as far as it ever got. I thought the same thing when I had my mk6 too as the mk6 GTD was also a cracking car.
The VAQ diff was really good on fast bends although I found the car would still spin an inside wheel on some corners and the damping could be caught out at times.

The only criticism I have of that car was the fact it was a three door and the sliding seats weren't as good as on previous generations (either that or the seats were set further back so the door opening wasn't as good) and more importantly me being a short arse I had to twist to get the seatbelt which hurt my back. Worse still I have a narrow garage so getting in and out with the long doors became a massive headache and require yoga like moves. Young and flexible I ain't!

The Edition 40 broke cover in May 2015 after I'd had the GTI for 18 months or so and it has to be said I was initially unimpressed with the looks of the front bumper. The car was originally a Worthersee 'testing the water' model and it didn't really do it for me and the specs weren't set in stone at that point.
I happened to be having a chat with evo1986 who I'd bought my GTI from round about the same point in time. Lee is a great guy and I was questioning him on the mysterious changes that were the talk of the forum around about then concerning the sudden increase in the GTI and GTD list prices of about £900 but no immediate announcement on spec improvements. I'd messaged Lee to pick his brains on that and a few other things. Out of the blue a short time later Lee contacted me to say he'd had some R's come into stock that were cancelled lease orders. There were long delays on a lot of orders around that time so I guess people either got fed up waiting or got desperate for a car, especially if you urgently needed one as a company car.
So I bought an R...

5 door Golf R
What can I say about the R? A fantastic all rounder and even harder to fault than the GTI PP.
Some criticise the looks as being not up to the performance but up close the car has that very Germanic styling of subdued intent. The devil is in the details.
Once a set of nice wheels with a better offset as added to fill the arches and a JB1 to fill the slight void in mid-range acceleration the R was just in a league of its own as far as fast Golfs go.
The only thing I can nit pick at really is it is almost too good so you have to be going stupidly quick to get any thrills. In everyday use you just marvel at how good as an all rounder it is and admire the beautiful dials and nice blue LED strips in the front doors. Yep, the only frills the R gives you is the dials and LEDs!
Fuel consumption? That's not its strong point but at the end of the day it's a 2.0 petrol that needs a big turbo to get big power. Big power needs bigger amounts of fuel and big turbos aren't renowned for being thrifty on the economy stakes, a simple fact of life.

The R went in the end due to a complete lack of use. Due to massive oversupply/popularity depending on your point of view the resale on them wasn't as good as it should be and when I sat there thinking about what it was losing a month being sat idle I once again remembered that something like a special edition Golf would be more suited to me as a die hard Golf owner. The fact it urgently required £600 spending on tyres as the 19" tyres I had on it I'd had on two mk6 GTI's and my mk7 previously too! I'd bought new wheels for each car but as I do a low mileage the tyres took ages and ages to wear down so I recycled the tyres and just sold the wheels on each time.
The maths did it for me in the end, £600 on tyres was money I'd never get back and the depreciation was about to hit winter lows so I spent several months agonising over it and in the end had a good offer from an independent dealership to take the R for top book price, complete with bald Contis, so I bit the bullet. And boy did it hurt.
The last car I'd regretted selling and genuinely felt bad about was my mk2 big bumper back in the mid-1990's. I sold that car on my birthday and couldn't even eat my birthday meal afterwards! I've had a lot of cars since that mk2 including other mk2's but I've treated each as a short term project - own, modify, enjoy, move on.
Ah well, we all make mistakes.

The GTD was a chance purchase. I was bored in work just before Xmas and flicked onto VW's website to have a nose. I saw the landing page on the website announcing £3250 off all Golfs and immediately underneath it was the wording about the service deal for PCP purchases. When you looked at it quickly it looked like the £3250 was a PCP offer to clear the last of the line stock so I didn't take much notice of it and just flicked around to see if there were any interesting used cars up for sale to kill a bit of time.
After a while I went back to the website landing page and re-read it.
Then I went to orangewheels website out of curiosity to see what it was all about. That's when in the small print where they tend to tell you that any PCP sweeteners don't count if you make a cash purchase. There was no mention of PCP. Yep, you could get a vanilla GTD (which you've got to admit is very well specced as standard) in three door for under £21k theoretically (if there were any build slots for one).
That brought about an immediate challenge for me - I wanted the cheapest 5 door GTI or GTD deal I could find out of the limited remaining build slots. If it was a straight cash buy it should have been pretty simple by I had a part ex to dispose of so I put the feelers out and strangely it was my local dealership that came up with the best deal on a GTD that was going to be one of the very last built.
So, a GTD at sub £22k (therefore minimal new car depreciation), just £20 a year to tax, 230ish BHP with a tuning box, nice looking as a standard car. Yep, I'll have some of that and so I did.

the GTD
Great car.
Can't fault it really, it has the power right where you need it in general driving, it looks good, it drinks little fuel, it has a good standard spec.

The one thing the GTD lacks is a sense of occasion.
You can get half way there with a bit of tuning for a raw edge to the driving and some nice low cost mods like sootchucker has done to give it more personality.
Technically I could have happily lived with that car for a good few years but alas the show home thing came to haunt me and I ended up with the VW equivalent of a show home.

Continued below due to maximum post character amount being exceeded after several hours of hard typing....
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Full House!
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2017, 14:04 »
Part two:

The Edition 40
The one Golf that has a sense of occasion like no other for a good few years now is undeniably (in the absence of the R400) the Clubsport.
Mine however is a standard spec (plus black roof) pre-registered 5 door with no bucket seat.
A three door with buckets is arguably the real deal as far as Clubsports are concerned.
A five door kind of goes against the Clubsport ethos and one without buckets even more so, therefore I'll call mine more accurately an ED40.

After a couple of delays (I needed to set up a bit of bank loan and time to get down to the dealership) I picked up the car first thing on Saturday so I don't have masses of experience of driving dynamics yet.
I'd only ever seen one other Clubsport that I can recall, it's an Urano Grey car that I see from time to time locally but only ever in fleeting glances on the move. I'll admit to being critical of the frontal styling ever since I first saw it, too many angles going on for me when I saw the cars in various photos. I also didn't like the fact it lost the door LED's as they're a big part of the GTI and R's character (you don't really notice them as much in the GTD as they're not coloured).
What I did like was the reviews of people that had driven them.
Some road testers said the car was a bit pointless but then again you've got to take that into perspective in the bigger picture - the ED40 is aimed at those that want a GTI but are prepared to pay a lot of extra money for something thats unique.
I'd read a lot in the press about it being 15mm lower, but 15mm lower than what? A GTI? A Golf Match?
I'd read reports praising the handling over a standard GTI and them saying that the CS had special suspension components.
I'd read reports that you could feel the overboost and reports that you couldn't.

Well, as soon as I clapped eyes on the white car in the flesh everything negative I'd said against it vanished. Yes the rear spoiler looks a bit OTT for an oldie like me but it looks better in the flesh than in any photos I've seen. The front bumper in 3D looks masses better, the side stickers don't look gaudy, the front splitter looks quite cool and makes the car look really low despite being standard ride height and best of all those Fuchs alloys look great in the flesh.
You can see how they've got the Fuchs wheels so light when you see them. I had Bridgestones on the GTD and R, both on 7.5J wheels but when you see the same tyre on the CS you can notice the metal that's been shaved away as the tyres look like they suddenly have massive rim protectors where they didn't on the other cars. The wheels look just like ones on classic Porsches so have proper heritage. I'm sure i've seen German racing Golfs back in the 70's and 80's riding on similar wheels.

I've read Jackie Treehorn's excellent thread on the differences of parts between the PP, CS and CSS which kind of contradicted a lot of what I'd read in the press about unique suspension parts. Therefore I was sceptical about the handling differences reported in the press and other places. Had the person writing actually driven a PP and CS back to back? The PP in its day had glowing reports on its handling before the R stole all the thunder so had people merely forgotten the poor underrated GTI's actual amazing competence?
Well, I've not put mine on a race track and nor have I performed any drag races in my limited time with the car so my thought are thus:
Getting straight out of the GTD and into the ED40 the driving dynamics are immediately noticeable.
Until I'd owned a set of lightweight Pro Race alloys on my first mk6 I'd always been sceptical about the weight penalties of heavier alloys wheels on mere road cars that wouldn't ever see a race track. Alas my mk6 wearing 18" Pro Race 1.2 (Aka VW Racing wheels) fitted with sticky Michelins outperformed the 19" BBS CK's with Conti 3's it had been riding immediately before in many areas I wasn't expecting. Ride comfort was a negligible difference but steering feel and responses were quite marked.
The Fuchs wheels did actually feel marginally different to the lovely Nogaros even on a short, non flat out, drive.
The damping felt much the same but the springs on the CS definitely feel different to the GTD and PP GTI. The car rides perfectly well but there's a definite knobbiness to the ride that can only be spring related. I've owned a good few cars with uprated suspension so I'm quite sensitive to ride and handling differences.
The engine in the CS feels just like the R engine to me. I've not driven the two side by side but to all intents and purposes I can't feel much, if any, difference to the power delivery and certainly didn't feel any overboost so far.
I've just fitted my pedalbox so maybe that'll make a difference as I probably drove the ED40 with smaller foot movements being used to the pedalbox on all my other MK7's. That would also explain why I got a 32 mpg journey average too, rather than the 28 I'd expect in the R!

Inside? The seats are really good. And no, it doesn't have the £1350 buckets either! I'd have happily paid the money to have the buckets as I'd have known I'd get my money back on them at resale in all likeliness as those are the cars that will be sought after. Standard cars like mine will just be met with a sigh of disappointment when being sold on again when the potential buyer phones the vendor having not read the advert properly (as they generally do). Beggars can't be choosers is my answer there and in any case the standard mk7 sports seats are really good. Not as nice as mk5 GTI seats but still really good.
I liked the part alcantara seats in my R and I like the seats in the CS even more. Sense of occasion once again.
Then there's that steering wheel which is straight out of the Demon Tweeks catalogue of wannabe racers. Normally I'd say it's a bit naff but somehow the CS plus it off and it actually feels in place in the ED40. Talking of feel, it does feel a bit funny and I don't know how well it will wear - I had a suede look (expensive but bought second hand) MOMO wheel in an old GTI (pre airbag days) that then went into service in my G40 afterwards and despite only being a low mileage driver that thing was bald within a few years.
The floor mats look good too. I'll probably replace them with aftermarket mats and keep the originals for resale. That's my initial thinking but having just typed it and thought about how much money cars lose then I'm also now thinking "b0ll0cks, it's me who paid good money for the car so the next owner can't afford to be too fussy, it's not as if the car will ever be an appreciating classic, and over the shorter of longer term this car WILL lose me a lot of my hard earned"
So yeah, I'm not under any illusions about the car.

So what are my impressions of the car so far? It puts a smile on my face.

Would i have spent £8k (worked out as likely value of my R now versus what the CS was had for) to change my R to this car? Also-bloody-lutely not.
Would I have paid thousands and thousands to change the GTD for a CS if I hadn't bought the GTD at such a knockdown price and lost virtually nothing on it? No I wouldn't, I'd have done a few things to brighten and liven the GTD up in a subtle OEM plus sort of way to try and give it a bit more sense of occasion.

Still awake?
Any more questions?  :laugh: :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2017, 14:21 »
'Any questions' Why are you not out driving it?

Also how did you post the second post just 1 minute after the other, it would take me an hour to type all that.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2017, 14:23 »
'Any questions' Why are you not out driving it?
:laugh: :grin:

I bought it to clean not to drive!
It's till clean so I'm sat typing crap, full of autocorrect errors, just to keep you lot amused!  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2017, 14:25 »
It took me several hours interrupted by a cold cup of tea and a slice of cold pizza to type it all and when I hit send after trying to pick out the worst of the autocorrect changes, tidy up some grammar and add a few commas etc the forum decided I'd exceeded the character count so I had to copy and paste the last bit into another post.
Grrrrr!
 :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2017, 14:27 »
Very nice Exonian :cool: and a great potted history of your mk7 experience.

When you posted the other day that you'd removed the pedal box from the GTD it could only mean one thing................I've been waiting with baited breath

IMO those are the wheels to have on a Clubsport.

Enjoy.......... :smiley:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2017, 14:40 »
Very nice Exonian :cool: and a great potted history of your mk7 experience.

When you posted the other day that you'd removed the pedal box from the GTD it could only mean one thing................I've been waiting with baited breath

IMO those are the wheels to have on a Clubsport.

Enjoy.......... :smiley:

I thought the same thing the other day, I was thinking why he didn't just turn it off :embarrassed:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2017, 14:50 »
Thanks for the comments  :smiley:

I've been waiting for having the time to sit and type a proper introduction. With my history of Golfs I thought I'd better type up a bit of a proper introduction. My R thread got quite big but everyone and their dog has had a GTD so that just got slotted in elsewhere.

@SR, the wheels are really nice, they need spacers ideally but I'm reluctant to change anything away from standard aside from the pedalbox due to the rarity of the model.
Mind you, they'll be expensive to replace if damaged so a set of winter alloys might appear at some point in time when I'm not so broke.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2017, 14:55 »
Are you going to make your way through the facelift versions too? :wink:
Great write up but I was left feeling a bit unsure, using the knowledge you now have - if you were without a car, ignoring cost, which one would you go for?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2017, 15:01 »
Nice car Exonian.  It was only a matter of time before you owned one.  Hope you get a chance to enjoy it.  I am still the proud owner of the Golf R I bought last year, the yearning for something else, has not even entered my mind this time.  Which is strange, as every other car I owned, the desire for something new usually kicked in about six months after driving my current new car off the forecourt.  I suspect I will wait until the MK8 is released for my next Golf.  Your Clubsport looks great, and in the best colour (although I am biased as I have only owned Oryx White Golfs to date).  May see you sometime soon passing by in Exeter when I am there next, coursework permitting of course.