Author Topic: Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS1 Extra V3.0 - Rebuilt gearbox with OBX LSD.  (Read 63868 times)

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
Re: Tshirt2k's Mk3 ABF 16vT on Megasquirt Extra V3.0
« Reply #10 on: 04 March 2011, 20:16 »
Some more pictures on the dyno

A standard looking mk3 16v with a little added Torque.

Had to sort out my coil issue. Decided to split the "new" coil arrangement and go for the ms driven arrangement like shown.

Very Important: Set Spark Out Inverted = YES and set the Dwell to around 6.0mS for cranking 3.5mS for Running and 0.1mS for the Minimum Time as a starting point! Also set LED17 as SparkA output in Codebase and Output Functions!!

I already had the circuit on the MS board but i added Resistor R43 because i wanted to scope the dwell. I also had to add the link between IGBOUT and IGN and remove the old spark connections.

The coil connections were changed easily to the diagram as wires were already in place.

In the software the setting were changed to the settings shown. And the then car started as before.
I wanted to see how the dwell trace looked so connected the scope across R43.

I started with lower settings and altered them higher than than suggested also to see how the curve changed. It was not easy to see the effects of different settings so kept the standard setting for now. Here's a trace. Not sure if it's right , but driver wasn't getting hot so left it like that for now.

Car seems to drive ok but getting some stumbling when accelerating from idle. Unsure if its connected to the spark dwell or Accel enrichments. Need to sort it. :shocked: Did a datalog of it. You can see it goin lean as the the throttle is pressed. Shown by Tpdot and AFR(WB02)

« Last Edit: 14 January 2018, 23:49 by tshirt2k »

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 04 March 2011, 20:17 »
Now the cars got some "Go" i've been wanting to sort out the "show".

I bought some merc wheels quite a while ago that needed refurbing. I've been sorting them out slowly, learning as i go.

I started out by removing the original lacquer from the rims only as they were going to be polished. And sanded them with 240-400grit paper and WD40 to remove the maching marks.

Rather than keep sanding through the grades, i got the course mop out and started polishing. This removed the sanding marks made earlier and started to look a little polished.

I continued polishing throught the finer mops and compounds till i was happy with the finish.

Wheels were masked up ready for painting.

The wheels were prepped according to condition and i also cleaned the insides of any bubbled paint.
Some were worse and needed etch primer.

Then i used filler primer to sort any imperfections. This was rubbed down smooth afterwards using wet and dry. (Not all wheels needed this though).

The base coat was then applied after using panel wipes and tack cloths to get rid of grease and dust. I went with a few caots of Ford graphite grey.

Lacquer went over the top of that. Centre caps were rubbed down and painted the same.

Luckily i didnt get much dust or any runs in the paint. The first wheel shown here was a bit dusty looking and had some orange peel but im happy with the result. I can flat and polish them after  the paints hardened.

A comparison.

The first wheel attempt. :undecided: Picture makes it look a bit worse than it is. Rim has a bit of masking tape glue left on it.

I've also got some more supportive seats to fit.  :grin:

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 04 March 2011, 20:19 »
Had to figure out how i was going to fit the Boxster seats into the golf without having to hack the floorpan and still be able to fit original seats back if needed.

I first decided to use a height adjustable seat bases from some old seats that i had. They are lower than the standard and  allow me to sit in the car without having my head on the headling. I chopped these from the rest of the seat and was left with this after trimming excess metal from them.

The seat was then placed i the car and aligned over and over until i was happy with the position.  Because the seats are similar to the mk5 runners where you bolt to the floor, I had to position them so i could sit in them at there lowest point, and the mrs could use the height adjustment for the best driving position.

I Got some box tubing and Nuts and bolts from B&Q and made up some runners for the seats to bolt to.

I then had to mate this up to the mk3 seat runner. I used some more box section and welded them together after getting correct position. Here its shown with runners sprayed black.

The seat are electric and i wired them up to the fused board via a fuse and they are in and working nicely. [:)] Very supportive too.

Wanted to add a bit more detail to the interior. I bought some black Colour Concept door cards but had the dilema of them not matching them with the seats.  I looked into leather dyeing and rather than recolour the seats to black i decided to recolour the door cards.

I bought a small leather colourant kit from the Furniture clinic as i was impressed with what was possible with their kits and thought it was the answer to what i needed.

I had to send a sample of leather from the seats so they could get an exact colour match.

Once i got the kit back i started to change the colour of the leather on the door cards.

Heres how i did one. It comes with good instructions and is very easy to do if you prepare it properly

I first masked the door card carefully around the leather panel that was to be dyed.

The panel was then prepped with the leather prep on a scotch pad. This removes the top layer of the leather. You then have to wipe the leather down with the alcohol cleaner to fully prep the leather for colour.

Once dry you then add some base coats of dye using a sponge. This was after 3 sponged on coats.

To get a better even finish the dye then should be sprayed on using the airbrush supplied.

You can see the streaks are gone and is starting to look like leather.

You then have to seal the leather to make it hard wearing and scuff resistant. This is a glossy finish. which is used first then i have to add a matt finish on top to match the finish on the seats.

Here's how it looks on the door. with the final finish.

And compared to the seats. Its a very good match and i'm impressed with the kit.[:*:]

I also did the rear door cards but not fitted yet until i sort out the rear seats.

« Last Edit: 14 January 2018, 23:52 by tshirt2k »

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 04 March 2011, 20:20 »
To help with inlet temps, I wanted to separate the air filter with a form of heat shield but with the boost pipes in the way, I couldn't use existing airbox.

I managed to trim the base of the ABF airbox to fit in it's original position and fit my existing filter in place. The front if the box was removed too.

Once this was in place, I needed to block off the rest of the area from the rest of the bay. I used the airbox lid and fabricated a shield from some ally sheet, riveted to the lid.

With it fitted in place with some added pipe insulation for a better seal.

I've not managed to test if there is any improvement as yet but it must help.

I want to reactivate the fan after run system to help cool under the bonnet when engine has been running but switched off.

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 04 March 2011, 20:22 »
A while ago i bought a rear leather bench that was in need of a refurb. It been done a while but other things have got in the way.

They were initially grey but had them colour matched to the boxsters grey.

A few pics of refurb. Just one of the seat bases with lots of discolouration, creases and cracks.

If the cracks are large like i had, they would need filling.. Like so..

After rubbing down smooth and applying the dye, it looked like this.

And fitted.  I also have the headrests to finish.

I had to wait to fit the rear seats and cards so i could recover and fit the A,B and C pillars. These were covered in black vinyl and the headling in Faux suede.

Crappy pic but you get the idea. Just need the handles and sunvisors now.

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 04 March 2011, 20:23 »
After getting a phelonic inlet gasket. I decided to fit it and check how it affects inlet temps.

Its not a proper before and after test because temperature measurements werent taken before the gasket was fitted, but i know that i couldn't touch the inlet without it burning!

I got the engine up to temp, went for a run, which included WOT at max boost, some high speed cruising and some stop start.

I stopped the engine and got temperature readings of the rocker cover (Similar to Cylinder head ) and inlet manifold with a laser thermometer. I also took note of CLT and MAT in Megatune.

Megatune readings CLT 87ºC  MAT 27ºC. Top reading is Coolant temp.

Rocker cover reading 87ºC

Inlet manifold reading  35ºC I can touch and hold the manifold.

I wanted to see how it heatsoaked after around 15mins. Previously it was noted that MAT readings in Megatune would get quite high and take a while to reduce once engine was restarted. The car would have to be driven for around 5mins for inlet temps to reduce to under 40ºC if over 50ºC.

Megatune readings after 15mins CLT 83ºC  MAT 53ºC

Rocker cover reading after 15mins 91ºC

Inlet manifold reading after 15mins 51ºC Could still touch manifold without it burning

I also did some datalogs whilst driving, and found that inlet max and min temperatures were lower in general and the temps were slower to increase especially when throttle is closed on over run. This is probably due to inlet being a lower temp to start with and not heating the slow moving air in this condition.

In conclusion, i feel it has had a significant effect on inlet temps whilst driving which should prevent ignition being retarded as temps rise. Also, although it hasn't stopped heat soak effects. Once the engine starts and cooler air get drawn into the inlet, it doesn't take long for temperatures to decrease and no longer needs to be driven to see temps reduce to a satisfactory level..

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 04 March 2011, 20:24 »
More tinkering...

Got fed up of my idle changing everycouple of weeks due to the the throttle stop on the throttle body not being very secure. This causes bad cold starts and varying idle AFRs which i find i'm adjusting warm up bins alot.

I decided i wanted a more reliable and adjustable throttle stop/idle screw. I used the original throttle stop and made a small steel block up with a tapped M4 hole.

This was then welded to the plate and painted up. I then fixed it down with contact adhesive and screwed it into position. A temporary bolt was found and screwed in.
Now my idle should be a bit more stable and wont need contant adjusment.[:)]

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 04 March 2011, 20:26 »
Been wanting to sort the brakes out a bit. So first job to do was change to some braided lines and some DOT5.1 brake fluid.

Whilst the car was jacked up I was looking round underneath and I noticed that I could see some carpet.  :angry: It looked like the usual rusted grommets. Started on the passenger side and thought I'd better check the other and it was the same. So I got out the welder and sheet metal and started to work. 

Removed interior and carpet and found this.

It wasn't that bad, but had to cut it all out.

Passenger side

Drivers side

Welded in the plate from the inside and smoothed off the welds with a flap disc.

Tacked in drivers side.

Passenger side smoothed off

Both sides, inside and out were cleaned up, sprayed with zinc primer then seam sealed on the welds.

Then the inside was painted with some satin black and the outside was undersealed.

Not a clear picture but it got through the mot.

Those grommets are a nightmare. I think the others will need looking at as I notice some underseal has split but not rusted through yet.
« Last Edit: 11 October 2012, 21:01 by tshirt2k »

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: Tshirt2k's Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS Extra V3.0
« Reply #18 on: 04 March 2011, 21:21 »
Awesome build,  :cool:

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
Re: Tshirt2k's Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS Extra V3.0
« Reply #19 on: 04 March 2011, 21:40 »
Cheers! Bodywork and a few more things yet.