Author Topic: MK8 latest info  (Read 42515 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: MK8 latest info
« Reply #90 on: 26 May 2020, 14:58 »
19s suit the mk8 really well.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #91 on: 27 May 2020, 15:41 »

It does change the look from ungainly to quite acceptable it has to be said
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #92 on: 27 May 2020, 20:25 »

Do you think its possible to fit them on the inside too maybe?  :grin:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #93 on: 27 May 2020, 20:33 »

:grin: :grin: :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #94 on: 28 May 2020, 07:19 »

I'm not fully against the Mk8 inside, think the seats look really good. The lack of buttons is odd though and I honestly think will make it hard to use anything that's not on the steering wheel.

What I can't work out is why the new A3 (below) has all physical buttons still, and the new Octavia and Leon have some buttons and some touch. That just seems odd? I would have thought it would be Audi who would have gone for minimalist approach  :huh: Those vents though, not keen whatsoever.

« Last Edit: 28 May 2020, 07:21 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #95 on: 02 June 2020, 15:02 »
I quite like the look of the interior on the new A3 when compared to the new Golf, the vents are a bit in your face but there seems less to forgive than the VW offering.  I like the new Seat Leon advert and would be interested to see their sporty offerings in the future.  The Seat interior area, particularly the infotainment, has always put me off but maybe their update will be less futuristic than the Golf, will wait and see!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #96 on: 02 June 2020, 16:05 »
The Seat interior area, particularly the infotainment, has always put me off but maybe their update will be less futuristic than the Golf, will wait and see!

Here’s the new Leon interior - pretty similar to the mk8 Golf’s.
  • Same infotainment screen as the mk8 Golf, but less integrated and IMO looks very ‘stuck-on’, iPad style.
  • Same approach to interior controls as in the Golf - i.e. removal of physical buttons and switches
  • Location of the touchpad to control the lights IMO is very poorly positioned; low down and away from the driver’s line of sight, making it difficult to use safely while driving. The touchpad also now also accommodates the control for the rear screen heater (like the Golf). I suppose at least the lighting control touchpad in the Golf is higher up. What was wrong with the previous VAG rotary light control, and a conveniently located rear screen heater switch, both of which could be operated safely just by touch? Cost cutting at the expense of safety, although to be fair to VAG, other manufacturers seem to be doing the same.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #97 on: 03 June 2020, 07:47 »
I had a Peugeot as a hire car last year for work, that was all touchscreen for everything and I hated it, having to go from the radio page to the climate page to adjust one thing was so hard whilst driving and your finger moving about with the motion of a moving car, like people have said it just isn't safe.

Online Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #98 on: 03 June 2020, 09:28 »
After seeing the SEAT above I think the VW empire has shot themselfs in the foot.
Not keeping one brand with easy to use simple buttons is massively restricting your market.
What about all the old people who have probably been loyal to you for decades due to your cars simplicity and don't want all this modern tech in a car. I know my mother, uncles etc wouldn't want a car with controls like these and im sure they are not the only ones of their generation.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #99 on: 03 June 2020, 10:09 »
After seeing the SEAT above I think the VW empire has shot themselfs in the foot.
Not keeping one brand with easy to use simple buttons is massively restricting your market.
What about all the old people who have probably been loyal to you for decades due to your cars simplicity and don't want all this modern tech in a car. I know my mother, uncles etc wouldn't want a car with controls like these and im sure they are not the only ones of their generation.

Completely agree. No doubt the ‘bean counters’ in VAG’s Ivory Tower were instrumental in the decision to remove physical buttons, switches and knobs to save a few quid. Did they consider their loyal traditional customer base when making that decision? Maybe, but the decided to do it anyway because of the likely cost savings. Touchpads and touchscreens will be cheaper for VAG to use as they don’t have any moving parts. I bet they won’t be cheap to replace if / when the fail outside the warranty period though!
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl