Author Topic: How to: Upgrade door speakers for mk4 golf  (Read 13753 times)

Offline fkgti

• Not said much yet
How to: Upgrade door speakers for mk4 golf
« on: 23 December 2008, 15:56 »
I recently bought a mk4 golf 2.0 Gti and the front passenger side door speaker was making a buzzing noise so I decided to upgrade both front speakers. I couldn’t find any guides on how to do this so I thought I would make my own guide incase somebody else wants to do the same thing but don’t know how. This may be easy for most of you guys on this site but i thought it may be useful to someone. I got a set of 165mm JBL GTO6537 speakers of ebay for £23 and a 165mm adaptor kit which has the plastic mounts and wire adaptors also of ebay for £10.

Tools Needed:

Star head screwdriver
Flat head screwdriver
Drill
Small drill bits
Torx Set
Hammer
Nail

The first thing to do was to take the door card off. Below is a link on how to do this. The link shows a driverside door but it’s the same for the passenger side only there is just two bolts holding the grad handle on.

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/187759.aspx

This is the door with the card removed

The original speakers are riveted in so I had to drill them out.

Firstly unplug the connector. Then drill the rivets. This is achieved by using a small drill bit to drill straight through each rivet. The head of the rivet can then be broke off using a flathead screwdriver and a hammer. Once each head is broken the speaker will come off the door. Then use a hammer and nail to force the rivets out the back of the holes.

Next line up the plastic speaker adapter and drill the holes that will be used to secure it too the door. Make sure that the speaker adapter is in the right position so that the holes of the speaker line up properly and the speaker will be straight. Fix the adaptor to the door with the screws.

A hole will then need to be drilled into the door to allow for the adaptor wires to pass through.

Then connect the wires to the speaker and screw to the speaker adaptor frame.

Test the speaker to see if it works. Then put the door card back on. Instead of keeping the original speaker cover on the door I drilled new holes and fixed the cover that came with my speakers.

Job Done  :smiley:

Offline troublestarter

• I live here
Re: How to: Upgrade door speakers for mk4 golf
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2008, 17:58 »
sorry to be critical but the grilles look awful
why did you not leave it looking standard and stealthy
also have you disconnected the tweeters in the top of the door as with 3 tweeters connected it must sound harsh and also the load on the h/u if they are not amped will be too low and the h/u will evetually get hot and may turn itself off
www.awesomeautomotive.co.uk<br />mobile vehicle security & audio fitting service<br />insurance accredited

Offline fkgti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2008, 14:05 »
sorry to be critical but the grilles look awful
why did you not leave it looking standard and stealthy
also have you disconnected the tweeters in the top of the door as with 3 tweeters connected it must sound harsh and also the load on the h/u if they are not amped will be too low and the h/u will evetually get hot and may turn itself off

Yeah im not too sure about the grills myself. Mite put the original ones back on. No i havent disconnected the tweeters in the top of the door. The sound seems normal. Should i disconnect the top tweeters? I dont really have a clue when it comes to car audio  :laugh:

Offline troublestarter

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2008, 15:47 »
ideally yes you would need to disconnect them as the h/u will be running at a 2 ohm load which it is not designed to do and you could burn out the amp in the h/u
www.awesomeautomotive.co.uk<br />mobile vehicle security & audio fitting service<br />insurance accredited