Author Topic: Windscreen Wipers  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Kerrse

• I live here
Windscreen Wipers
« on: 05 December 2007, 19:17 »
Anyone  got any ideas my windscreen wipers have decided to stop working tonight ! I need to drive to work tomorrow morning otherwise i'd take it to a garage ?

This on top of my window regulator going last week an both headlamp bulbs !!
 :cry:

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re: Windscreen Wipers
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2007, 20:00 »

Offline Kerrse

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2007, 20:06 »
thanks
 :wink:

Offline Kerrse

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2007, 20:18 »
Got em to work again by giving them a pull .. so yes think the motor is going ..just checked german & swedish they sell em for £44 inc so might have to check VW's prices

never had any trouble with my car till bout 3 weeks ago ..now everything seems to be going wrong an its only 5 yrs old
 :cry:

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2007, 22:05 »
Read that thread, it may not be the motor at fault. The mechanism itself siezes were the spindles are.
Try disconnecting the motor from the mechanism......I'll bet the motor operates fine once able to run freely.

Now try manually moving the mechanism......... :wink:

Offline Kerrse

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2007, 13:17 »
Will give it a go this weekend ..see what happens

thanks

Offline Bristol Boy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2007, 17:44 »
Any luck over the weekend?  It's a common problem - much more likely to be the linkage than the motor.  If you haven't managed to dismantle everything yet, just be careful not to belt either of the spindles too hard whilst trying to remove the wiper arms (they are a fecking tight fit).  I managed to foul-up the thread on one of them, and no amount of trying with a new nut would recut the thread - so it had to be a new mechanism, instead of the dismantle and re-grease that I'd planned.   If I'd used a drift between the hammer and the spindle it might not have happened.........   :sad:

Offline Kerrse

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2008, 13:47 »
No never got around to doing it ..looked to much of nightmare job ! they seem to be working again ok at the mo so decided to leave it alone  :grin: