Author Topic: MK7 GTI Timing Chain/Belt  (Read 30162 times)

Offline GTI_Redpath

• GTI forum regular
MK7 GTI Timing Chain/Belt
« on: 11 August 2018, 20:02 »
Been a while since I posted on here! I recently took in my mk7 gti to a lookers VW dealer for a service. When I was in there I asked about the timing chain to see when it's due. They have new people in and I'm not sure the answer I got was right. They said 100k miles or 5 years. To me, those don't add up. Very few people do 100k in 5 years unless it's a diesel so it's always going to be 5 years coming up first. I've had the car 5 years in November so I'm not sure whether to change it or not. 5 years seems a short period of time for a chain? Any advice appreciated
MK7 Golf GTI Performance, 3 Door, Manual, DBP, Dynaudio, Service Pack

Offline candywhite12

• Here all the time
Re: MK7 GTI Timing Chain/Belt
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2018, 14:21 »
Been a while since I posted on here! I recently took in my mk7 gti to a lookers VW dealer for a service. When I was in there I asked about the timing chain to see when it's due. They have new people in and I'm not sure the answer I got was right. They said 100k miles or 5 years. To me, those don't add up. Very few people do 100k in 5 years unless it's a diesel so it's always going to be 5 years coming up first. I've had the car 5 years in November so I'm not sure whether to change it or not. 5 years seems a short period of time for a chain? Any advice appreciated

Hey mate, don't know about the mk7 but when i was looking at the manual of my old mk6, it said timing chain/belt is normally made to last the lifetime of the car and is to be changed only if there are visible wear signs.  My mechanic confirmed when i asked the same question.  So when i sold the car after 7 years of owning and nearly 120k miles on it (yes, i drive A LOT), nothing was changed. Why would the mk7 be any different?
Wife's: mk8 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr atlantic blue, DSG, Norfolk 17", pan s/r, leds
Now: mk7.5 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr tornado red, DSG, Singapore 17", pan s/r, leds
Before: mk6 GTI 5dr candy white, DSG, Monza Shadow 18", s/r, bi-Xenons, DCC
Even before that: mk5 GT 5dr tornado red, manual, s/r

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2018, 17:46 »
The mk7 GTI has a timing chain, not a rubber timing/cam belt. The timing chain is a non-serviceable item so in theory should last the life of the car.

The GTD has a rubber timing belt and I think the change interval is the sooner of 5 years or x miles. Not sure what the recommended mileage limit is.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jason b

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2018, 20:32 »
Another one of the many reasons I love the mk7 GTI and the EA888
Night blue MK7 GTI keyless winter pack nav camers etc very partial to a Ducati and a Fs1e.A serial Le Mans 24 attendee 13 starts in a row to date

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2018, 20:41 »
Cambelts should be changed every 5 years for Mk7's, but mileage will vary. It's suggested you can do upto 120k, but i'm not sure i'd be wanting to risk that on what is a perishable item, especially if you're the sort of driver that likes to wring its neck.

If you stick to the servicing regime they should be telling you at service time if there are signs of wear, as the cambelt is on of the list of items they're supposed to inspect.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/cambelt-change
7.5 GTD

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2018, 22:15 »
Another one of the many reasons I love the mk7 GTI and the EA888

VW engines with timing chains don’t have a good history of being problem free. The problem doesn’t seem to be so much the actual timing chain; the weak link (no pun intended) has been the timing chain tensioner, although chains can stretch over time and may eventually need replacing at some point later in a car’s life.

On the mk6 Golf GTI which had the EA888 engine, there were a number of instances of timing chain tensioner failure, resulting in costly engine damage - in many cases resulting in the replacement of the engine and owners being faced with very expensive repair bills. There’s a 65 page ‘sticky’ at the top of the mk6 board in this forum. The tensioner went through 3 redesigns during the life of the mk6 Golf.

I can’t recall any instances of timing chain tensioner failure on the mk7 GTI being experienced and reported by forum members, so hopefully the design of timing chain tensioner on the current generation EA888 engine used in the GTI is now robust and reliable.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2021, 15:35 »
Just checking my recent service invoice for my MK7.5 GTI, it says 'Cambelt due 11/1/2025'. Not sure why it says this when we know that the GTI has a timing chain.

I recall when I had my Scirocco (2.0 TSI) the dealer recommended a cambelt change at one point, but I had to point out it has a timing chain!  :smiley:
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline Phil245

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2021, 17:07 »
I can’t recall any instances of timing chain tensioner failure on the mk7 GTI being experienced and reported by forum members, so hopefully the design of timing chain tensioner on the current generation EA888 engine used in the GTI is now robust and reliable.

I've read on various forums that the chain tensioner system was revised around 2013 for the EA888 engine..........?
2019 Golf GTI 245 Performance, 2020 Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0 TDI
Sadly sold, Octavia VRS245 Estate, Audi A3 1.5TFSI S Line Black Edition, Polo GTi 1.8, Audi TT Roadster, Golf Mk7 GTD etc.
Daughter has 2019 Polo 2.0GTi DSG. We love VAG !