Author Topic: Golf GTD and R manual models to be discontinued  (Read 10557 times)

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Golf GTD and R manual models to be discontinued
« on: 20 April 2018, 11:24 »

Golf GTD and R manual models will be discontinued because they will not be changed over to WLTP type approval – this applies to the Hatch and Estate models.

Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Golf GTD and R manual models to be discontinued
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2018, 11:53 »
Week 22 stuff then is it :D

But not GTI manual?

What about the rumour of no non-PP GTI? Or the much appreciated death of purple nasty paint?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2018, 15:00 »
No build week 22 stuff yet..............

Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2018, 15:09 »
What is WLTP type approval? Do you know why it’s not getting approved?

Offline silver38

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2018, 15:16 »
Had hoped to order a GTD manual later in the year, will have to go for something different now. Is the GTI PP affected by this decision?

Thanks
MKVII GTD Manual - Pure White, 5Door, Adaptive chassis control, Advance telephone connection, Climate comfort windscreen, Discover Nav pro, High beam assist, Keyless entry, Sport and Sound pack, Park assist system with steering assist, Rear view camera, Rear side airbags with rear seatbelt warning, Winter pack, 5 Year Warranty

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2018, 15:28 »
What is WLTP type approval? Do you know why it’s not getting approved?

I would guess the clue is here:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/wltp.asp

Manufacturers will be required to obtain approval under WLTP from 1 September 2017, with this becoming mandatory for all new cars by September 2018.

So VW hadn't done it until now, but will need to have it by September 2018 - so now is the time.

The results will place vehicles into categories and I'd assume that the manual versions are likely to have sufficiently poor results that its not worth making them...

WLTP testing is very different to the old EU test cycle, no longer will you see stupid unobtainable figures for fuel economy or CO2 emissions. Good results will need good technology, not gaming the test - and everyone has been gaming it to some degree (even if not by the infamous VW software!)

That's my take on it, yet I don't understand why the GTI isn't mentioned.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Will2018

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2018, 15:57 »
My guess as to why the manual GTi isn't mentioned is due to sales numbers. Could be that the manual GTi sells in reasonable numbers and the manual GTD and R not so. BMW submitted the M4 but discontinued the M3 for this reason. I presume there is a significant cost to submitting/ tweaking a vehicle for the new test.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2018, 16:04 »
Its going on all over...

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2018, 19:09 »
My guess as to why the manual GTi isn't mentioned is due to sales numbers. Could be that the manual GTi sells in reasonable numbers and the manual GTD and R not so.

That may be the case with the R model, but i'd be surprised if it were true of the GTD. It significantly outsells the GTI on fleet sales alone. Or at least it did do until dieselgate.

Perhaps Lee could clarify if it's just the TDI 184ps with manual that's being discontinued, or if it applies to the TDI 150ps with manual too?
7.5 GTD

Offline Will2018

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2018, 23:06 »
My guess as to why the manual GTi isn't mentioned is due to sales numbers. Could be that the manual GTi sells in reasonable numbers and the manual GTD and R not so.

That may be the case with the R model, but i'd be surprised if it were true of the GTD. It significantly outsells the GTI on fleet sales alone. Or at least it did do until dieselgate.

Perhaps Lee could clarify if it's just the TDI 184ps with manual that's being discontinued, or if it applies to the TDI 150ps with manual too?

I read it to mean manual GTD. Just like the R I'm thinking that lower manual GTD sales don't justify it being readied for the new test. Perhaps the manual cars real world emissions were too high but the DSG cars just slipped through. I'm sure all the info will come to light soon.