Author Topic: Removing the soft toucg?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Jordan_gti

• Not said much yet
Removing the soft toucg?
« on: 30 November 2017, 12:47 »
What cleaner is safe to use to remove the horrible VW Soft touch form my interior? My car has got to the age were the soft touch is wearing away and the interior looks like its peeling away, I've used Warm water with soap but it doesn't shift very well & the interior is annoyingly sticky, but my car is kept clean with decent products.
2002 Golf Gti 1.8T (AUM) LC9Z

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
Re: Removing the soft toucg?
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2017, 13:44 »
I used a normal house hold detergent made by MEDIX...spayed it on, waited a couple of minutes and removed the crud with cloth soaked in warm water. Wiped it all over again with just the clean damp cloth and after it was all dry, light application of scented cockpit cleaner. Came up a treat.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Jordan_gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2017, 15:39 »
Cool, thanks for the advice :)
2002 Golf Gti 1.8T (AUM) LC9Z

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #3 on: 30 November 2017, 18:34 »
To make the job easier...and to make sure I got it all out...I removed as many of the smaller panels as I could and cleaned them independently. It saved a lot of mucking around getting into the tighter spots...gaps and joins etc.
I found that a stiff bristiled toothbrush or nail brush will speed up the process on the more stubborn parts.

Looks nice now.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2017, 18:37 by bgbazz »
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.