Author Topic: Hello good evening & welcome  (Read 3814 times)

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
Hello good evening & welcome
« on: 30 October 2017, 21:06 »
Hello all. Picked up a 2015 MK7 5dr GTI PP (Tornado Red) on Saturday past. After familiarising myself with the performance parameters of the vehicle over the weekend, which was a lot of fun, fuel economy test was top of today's agenda. Stats are from refuel on the A9 (Balhaldie) into central Glasgow GWR and return to base.

Distance = 91 miles
Time = 2:13
Avg MPG = 40.8mpg
Avg Speed = 41mph
Data from fuel computer.

Who needs a fecking diesel, ken...?

Regards.

Papa John.
2015 Tornado Red 5dr GTI PP, Manual, Austin wheels.

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
Re: Hello good evening & welcome
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2017, 23:25 »
20 mile trip the other day on an A road with the wifey on board for the first time, I think she likes it. 43mpg was the high point. It did drop back to 39mpg by the time we got hame. I didn't buy this car exclusively for the economy but it is pleasing to know that it could return c.400 miles on a tank if I resist the urge. That's quite a big if, but so far so good.

Media cable bought so that I now have a USB port/charger for my phone which does recharge it quite slowly. How could VW have not included USB in the MK7? Krazy!

I briefly connected my TomTom via that same cable today and the multi media system (radio) suffered a complete & total shut down and only began working again after I'd apologised for my stupidity and swiftly disconnected it, the TomTom.

Anyone had that happen before? #USBKiller :whistle:

As you were. Papa John.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2017, 13:56 »
Congrats on your new pride and joy Papa John :smiley: Excellent colour choice if I might say :whistle:

Glad you are enjoying it, manual or dsg? 3 or 5 door? It's worth a spec in your signature strip so if/when you seek answers people can see what you've got. They really are a great car aren't they? So good at everything :smiley: I was very pleasec with the economy on mine too, long trips regularly see 40-45mpg so yours sounds spot on.

USB wise I think the nav pro spec only has those.

Planning any mods?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2017, 17:09 »
Congrats on your new pride and joy Papa John :smiley: Excellent colour choice if I might say :whistle:

Glad you are enjoying it, manual or dsg? 3 or 5 door? It's worth a spec in your signature strip so if/when you seek answers people can see what you've got. They really are a great car aren't they? So good at everything :smiley: I was very pleasec with the economy on mine too, long trips regularly see 40-45mpg so yours sounds spot on.

Planning any mods?

Thanks for the kind words/welcome and the red ones are faster :whistle:

GTI comes with 24month VW warranty & servicing thanks to that (Das Welt) bloke? So will probably keep it stock for now? especially as the performance & handling is pretty damn good!

Car will have two new Michelin PS4s fitted to the front on Wednesday. Dealer supplied it to me the other week with budget Davanti tyres fitted to the front. They were generally okay ish grip wise, but really noisey and not befitting (pun intended), for a premium motor.

I voiced my displeasure and the dealer capitulated. Service manager agreed to have the Davantis thrown away replaced with a premium brand tyre of my choice, at their expense. I choose Pirelli Scorpion, please? They couldn't source those locally from their two suppliers, sorry.... So I chose the Michelin Pilot Sport 4, thanks.  :cool:

Regards Papa John.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2017, 17:10 by Papa John »

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2017, 17:51 »

Planning any mods?

GTI comes with 24month VW warranty & servicing thanks to that (Das Welt) bloke? So will probably keep it stock for now? especially as the performance & handling is pretty damn good!

Car will have two new Michelin PS4s fitted to the front on Wednesday. Dealer supplied it to me the other week with budget Davanti tyres fitted to the front. They were generally okay ish grip wise, but really noisey and not befitting (pun intended), for a premium motor.

I voiced my displeasure and the dealer capitulated. Service manager agreed to have the Davantis thrown away replaced with a premium brand tyre of my choice, at their expense. I choose Pirelli Scorpion, please? They couldn't source those locally from their two suppliers, sorry.... So I chose the Michelin Pilot Sport 4, thanks.  :cool:

Regards Papa John.
Was it Arnold shark you got the car from  :smiley:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2017, 18:18 »

Planning any mods?

Regards Papa John.

Can't go wrong with PS4, highly rated on here. I highly recommend a pedalbox to give the GTI the teeth it deserves, once tried you won't want to go back! It really brings it to life, feels like you threw out a couple of 100+kg passengers! And it's not a tuning box, it just alters throttle response like the sport button, just more :evil: There are also a few simple mods to the gear change which make it feel more sporting, clutch spring delete, clutch delay valve delete and an Audi oem short shifter which I've just done, easy and rewarding. And you don't have to drive like you stole it to feel the benefit in any of these upgrades, the car is more fun to drive all the time :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2017, 19:00 »

Planning any mods?

Regards Papa John.
Was it Arnold shark you got the car from  :smiley:

No chance of that!  :sick: Thing is, the VW dealer did the decent thing on the mechanical side of things in preparing the car: full third year service done inc. brake fluid, air N pollen filters, new HT plugs and replaced all four (larger than yer average BooBoo) discs, N pads with brand new OEM wans and then let the side 'down' by cheaping out on the rubber front. WTF? Although they have corrected that now, nearly (being fitted Weds): it would have been so much cheaper for them to fit the Michelins the first time round.... Hope the courtesy car being dropped off while they collect and sort mine is something better than an UP!?

Getting a message on the dash saying that the key battery is running low and needs changing so will be asking them to do that too, as the (almost unused?) spare is for Sunday best.  :smiley:

Good evening. Papa John.

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2017, 23:40 »
Tried the Davanti tyres in the rain for the first time tonight and they're best described as #ditchfinders. Avoid.

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2017, 19:31 »
How much fun are fourth gear overtakes?  :laugh: Especially knowing you have the anchors/brakes to deploy at the end of the straightaway. I don't know which is best the engine or the brakes?

Michelin Pilot Sport 4s now fitted 'alround' and the car really benefits from it. Money spent on tyres and brakes is never money wasted, ken...

At one with his GTi. Papa John.