Author Topic: Finally the Pretorias are on  (Read 11390 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: Finally the Pretorias are on
« Reply #20 on: 31 October 2017, 18:26 »
Not sure if this link will work but it’s an eye opener to me!
fb://group/?id=1541477379484574&view=permalink&object_id=1790050647960578
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 31 October 2017, 18:41 »
Not sure if this link will work but it’s an eye opener to me!
fb://group/?id=1541477379484574&view=permalink&object_id=1790050647960578

Didn't work for me but intrigued, give me a clue :wink:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #22 on: 31 October 2017, 21:52 »
I'm useless with computers!!
It's from the R owners group on Facebook and it's a video of a Pretoria on a wheel balancing machine after it hit a smallish pothole.
The wheel is totally out of whack and beyond saving.
But the thing that surprised me is that according to this particular owners group, it is a common occurrence with Prets and the wheel isn't rated as being any good!
News to me :shocked
« Last Edit: 31 October 2017, 22:09 by kalimon »
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 31 October 2017, 22:08 »
It's from the R owners group on Facebook and it's a video of a Pretoria on a wheel balancing machine after it hit a smallish pothole.
But the thing that surprised me is that according to this particular owners group, it is a common occurrence with Prets and the wheel isn't rated as being any good!
News to me :shocked:

Old news to us R owners and does it make us love our Prets any less.  Nope.  :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #24 on: 31 October 2017, 22:11 »

Old news to us R owners and does it make us love our Prets any less.  Nope.  :grin:
So they are prone to buckling?
I thought that was just Santiagos :wink:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 31 October 2017, 22:29 »

Well I've already hit some craters round here and no problems.

Is this from the  same source as creaky pan roofs, not in my super stiff R.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 31 October 2017, 22:33 »

Rumour has it. But similar to what CHB says above, I drive on woeful roads, day in, day out, and though I always avoid known potholes, there’s been a fair few I’ve not escaped.  My wheels had new tyres fitted at Lepsons recently (and 2 were refurbed)and no buckling or flat spots.  Might be luck of the draw, who knows.
« Last Edit: 31 October 2017, 22:35 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 01 November 2017, 05:36 »
News to me :shocked
Three of the set of four Pretorias I bought had low spots. Not serious ones but enough to be visible on the balancing machine. The refurbishers that repainted a pair of them said it was all too common in large diameter wheels from all manufacturers. They said buckles and bends can be reduced by keeping tyres inflated to higher pressures but with the amount and severity of potholes plus traffic calming it was just a side effect of modern driving.
They said there weren’t many wheels that passed through their doors without some form of out of roundness even on pretty new wheels.
When you look at Pretorias with their narrow spokes and large areas of rim with no spoke to support it then it’s hardly surprising I guess. Forged or otherwise.

Tendency to buckle or prone to whiteworm wheels? Take your pick! Or both?!   :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #28 on: 01 November 2017, 07:25 »
I was just surprised to hear anything bad about the Pretoria’s. I’m a fan and it’s the first time I’d heard anything negative said about them.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 01 November 2017, 08:09 »
I do like Pretorias a lot, but I also hit a pothole and buckled a wheel beyond Lepson's repair when I had my R. First wheel I've ever buckled in decades of driving, they are not very robust, unfortunately.