Author Topic: Tyre Choices. Help?  (Read 1901 times)

thinker_monkey

Tyre Choices. Help?
« on: 27 October 2017, 09:59 »
Morning everyone,

So I need to get some tyres for the MK6 and I'm torn between getting one of the below three choices  :undecided: :

Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 (£81.30 per tyre)
Continental Sport Contact 5 (£93.70 per tyre)
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (£100.20 per tyre)

What I would like to know is has anyone on here had experience with any of these tyres? And what were your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
Re: Tyre Choices. Help?
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2017, 11:31 »
Hi,

I've got no experience with Conti Sport Contact 5 so afraid I can't offer an opinion on those. However I am currently running Pilot Sport 4 having swapped from Eagle F1 Assymetric 3.

The Goodyears are a great tyre. I ran Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 for approx 35k and before that I had used two sets of the Assymetric 2 (one set on the Golf and another on my previous car). They really do everything very well. Good dry and wet grip, very stable under braking and they have a fairly soft sidewall that gives good comfort. I found the lack of noise from them was also very good. The trade-off with that slightly softer sidewall is that initial turn in to corners isn't quite as sharp as some. It's certainly not a dealbreaker though and it's only really apparent if you're pushing or drive it back to back with another tyre. They wear very well too, both sets of Eagle F1s I put on the GTI lasted me 35k or thereabouts with some rotation front to back.

This is where the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 comes in. It does everything the Goodyear does well, with the exception of maybe a little more noise. However it has a step more ultimate grip in the dry and you do get that directness on turn in that the Goodyear lacks a little. I have found it no less comfortable than the Goodyear and I am well prepared to accept a db or 2 more noise to get the increase in grip that the Michelin brings. Time will tell if it wears as well as the Goodyear, I have only had the Michelins fitted for 3k so far.

Basically I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either the Goodyear or the Michelin. You just have to decide whether you think the Michelin is worth the extra. For me it is worth it, to know that I have the best tyre possible, provided I can get the same sort of wear out of them, I'll be sticking to Michelin's come tyre change next time.

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2017, 20:41 »
This article is worth a read - test uses GTI as the test vehicle. The Goodyear A3's have dropped down the order quite a bit on this Evo test but the autobild test on a TT puts them second.  http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-EVO-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-Auto-Bild-UHP-Tyre-Test.htm

I suppose at the end of the day it is personal choice. When I last bought tyres the Goodyear A2's were recommended and I have not had any problems with them - seem to last, fine in the wet and noise levels reasonable so my better half says.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

thinker_monkey

« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2017, 14:53 »
Thanks guys. Lots to think about.