Author Topic: Golf Gti Rear Discs looking to upgrade any ideas  (Read 1409 times)

Offline whogives

• Not said much yet
Golf Gti Rear Discs looking to upgrade any ideas
« on: 17 October 2017, 19:27 »
I'm looking to change my rear discs and Pads...... I'm looking at upgrading. I'm struggling to find the correct seize discs .... some say 300, some say 272, some say solid others say vented

What are you using or would you Recommend ...... I was looking at stoptech anyone got these ????

The car is a standard GTI no PP fitted

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Golf Gti Rear Discs looking to upgrade any ideas
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2017, 21:24 »
You can check what parts you need on Eurocar Parts, just put your reg in. Says 310mm for a Mk7 GTI.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/car-parts

Not sure why you'd need to upgrade rear discs, most braking power comes through the front so would be not be money well spent IMO. Unless of course you are seriously upgrading the car power wise. Then the front stoppers would be the first thing to upgrade.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2017, 21:56 »
No point in fitting fancy stuff the rears never do much work & the ones on the MK7 Golf are way over braked for the job..

I have the estate & the standard fronts were way under braked...so fitted 312mm GTI/GTD set-up...with ATE grooved discs & plain pads...way better braking....

the rears are rusty & scored & I "drive" my car & with the added weight of the estate & the usually mountaineering gear etc in the back I still can't get them shiney!!...

Basically buy the cheapest decent set up...I'd recommend ATE plain discs as made to very high tolerances..& fit their low dust pads (ceramic I think) these pads don't work with the grooved discs as they create loads of noise...

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2017, 07:14 »
I thought the rule of thumb was never upgrade just the rear of the car as it could cause an imbalance on braking. That was years ago mind so maybe it's not now 😃
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline whogives

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2017, 11:36 »
No point in fitting fancy stuff the rears never do much work & the ones on the MK7 Golf are way over braked for the job..

I have the estate & the standard fronts were way under braked...so fitted 312mm GTI/GTD set-up...with ATE grooved discs & plain pads...way better braking....

the rears are rusty & scored & I "drive" my car & with the added weight of the estate & the usually mountaineering gear etc in the back I still can't get them shiney!!...

Basically buy the cheapest decent set up...I'd recommend ATE plain discs as made to very high tolerances..& fit their low dust pads (ceramic I think) these pads don't work with the grooved discs as they create loads of noise...

Point taken............ Your way seems a lot more sensible, so I'll look at going that way too ............ Thanks for your input GUYS