Author Topic: Infotainment stopped working  (Read 1359 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Infotainment stopped working
« on: 17 October 2017, 10:11 »
Now and again the radio in our 2016 G7 Match won't power up. The first time it did it I removed the fuse for a minute or so and it was fine. Recently it would be dead when the car was first started and wouldn't come on, but after the car had been stopped, then re-started later, it would be fine. It's the basic nav model, what ever that's called.

I need to book it in with the dealers, but would like to be a little better informed if this is a known fault. Having spoken to the dealers, they want me to take the car in first thing, but they won't tell me how long they will want it for, just that they will aim to be done by the end of the day. If it just needs a software flash, hopefully I can be in and out.

Anyone else come across this problem before?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline robtt

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf Gti pp dsg
Re: Infotainment stopped working
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2017, 10:26 »
Yes, it’s a common problem. Software update will sort it out .

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2017, 10:28 »
Something I think we've all seen in the Mk7 at times.

First thing to try is a software update - some of the early versions of the code seemed to cause this problem - but don't ask which versions, I don't think anyone has ever catalogued version numbers and faults. Its largely irrelevant anyway, a current version will fix that but only dealers have access to the software.

If its not that, then its a faulty unit, again, reasonably common. They will replace it under warranty.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2017, 10:48 »
Something I think we've all seen in the Mk7 at times.

First thing to try is a software update - some of the early versions of the code seemed to cause this problem - but don't ask which versions, I don't think anyone has ever catalogued version numbers and faults. Its largely irrelevant anyway, a current version will fix that but only dealers have access to the software.

If its not that, then its a faulty unit, again, reasonably common. They will replace it under warranty.

They changed mine but for some reason they changed both the screen and the part in the glove box.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2017, 11:46 »
The part in the glovebox is actually the "brains". The bit in the dash is just a screen and input.

I guess its hard to know if the thing seemingly not displaying anything is a display fault or a computer fault. Probably cheaper to swap both in one go, might even come as one replacement part?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 18 October 2017, 08:19 »
Thanks for the info. I'll get it booked in when I can find some time to waste in the dealers.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 18 October 2017, 18:48 »
Got it booked in, just need to find my DO NOT WASH hangers and signs now.