Author Topic: Gloss Black Dash/Centre Console on the Mk 7.5?  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Arran

• Not said much yet
Gloss Black Dash/Centre Console on the Mk 7.5?
« on: 14 October 2017, 11:00 »
Hello all,

Would anyone be able to advice how resistant to scratches the centre console of the Mk 7.5 Golf is please?

Is it fairly scratch resistant or does it mark easily?

Thanks

Arran

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
Re: Gloss Black Dash/Centre Console on the Mk 7.5?
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2017, 12:13 »
I haven't any problems with scratches but obviously, it would if mistreated.
I can recommend Obsessive Detail Clarity Windows product, not only superb on the glass but also great on all black gloss fittings. Use with a suitable white WoWo microfibre glass cleaning cloth.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Arran

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2017, 12:23 »
I haven't any problems with scratches but obviously, it would if mistreated.
I can recommend Obsessive Detail Clarity Windows product, not only superb on the glass but also great on all black gloss fittings. Use with a suitable white WoWo microfibre glass cleaning cloth.

Thank you. I just have visions of my wife scratching it with her engagement ring! But I presume any surface would mark like that.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2017, 12:31 »
Thank you. I just have visions of my wife scratching it with her engagement ring! But I presume any surface would mark like that.
If it is a diamond engagement ring - "Diamond is the hardest naturally occurring substance found on Earth."

If your wife's engagement ring came out of a lucky bag you'll be fine. :huh: :grin:

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Arran

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2017, 13:18 »
If it is a diamond engagement ring - "Diamond is the hardest naturally occurring substance found on Earth."

If your wife's engagement ring came out of a lucky bag you'll be fine. :huh: :grin:

It’s certainly wasn’t cheap! It’s seems to scratch everything up! 🙈

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2017, 14:13 »
My wife hit her engagement ring of the door pillar of my car. She gasped and looked at the ring. I gasped and looked at the car! :laugh:

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Arran

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2017, 14:33 »
My wife hit her engagement ring of the door pillar of my car. She gasped and looked at the ring. I gasped and looked at the car! :laugh:

:grin: my heart would be pounding!  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 14 October 2017, 14:47 by Arran »

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2017, 15:03 »
I actually think the gloss piano trim is very scratch resistant although can be quite a dust magnet. I've had my car 2 years and there's on,y a tiny scratch on the gloss trim. Much more robust than I thought it would be.

If you are interested in keeping it clean, whilst protecting it from scratching, the key is little and often cleaning and gently does it.  Use a decent anti-static trim cleaner/dressing.  I use Poorboys Natural Look Dressing.   Or as suggested try a decent glass cleaner, which works well on the infotainment screen too.. The one suggested by CHB is the best glass cleaner I've tried, it's unbelievably easy to buff off with the merest of pressure, and if you use code VWROC10 at checkout you'll get 10% discount. The other key item is a very soft Microfibre.  DoDo Juice Fantastic Fur microfibres are brilliant for final buffing, or WoWo Microfibres are perfect for a variety of jobs and a nice light fabric weight for interior work. GTIFORUM20 will get you 20% discount on WoWo gear.  And for touchless dusting a can of compressed air (air duster) is always handy to have around.

I don't wear rings.  :grin:
« Last Edit: 14 October 2017, 15:06 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11