Author Topic: Still got no idea which tyres?!?  (Read 11268 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Still got no idea which tyres?!?
« Reply #20 on: 15 October 2017, 20:55 »
I ran the MPSS on my Evora, now run the MPS4S.

Would happily run the MPS4S on my GTI. What do they come fitted with? (Still on order)

Mine has the Bridgestone S001 - they are pretty average. Easy to induce wheel spin even in the dry.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kane1210

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 15 October 2017, 21:26 »
Why does everyone bad mouth these Bridgestone!? I've driven on way worse!!!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 15 October 2017, 21:37 »
Drive sensibly on them and they are an ok tyre. It's just that other tyres are far better.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Tara

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 16 October 2017, 10:23 »
Are you finding them quite noisy then?
Yes, especially on the motorway. 

There haven't really been too many damp cold roads yet to test traction and braking. Though the car is  noticeably more comfortable now. With the increased comfort I am surprised that the road noise has not noticeably reduced. I honestly think that my old Mk6 GTD with 17 inch Goodyear AS2s was much quieter.

I realise the sound issue when I get into the car the next day and have to turn the radio down. It is probably the only thing that disappoints me about my new car. Though I can't help wondering if other tyres would fix it. I think I'll just live with it.

Tyre performance matters far more to me and these are probably the best available in their price bracket.
Hi
I just wanted to ask if you where getting a high pitch almost wind/whistle noise from the rear with these tyres ? Only ask as i have the same tyres on mine and I know it's not bearings as they have been done and just thought it might be the tyres, thanks
White GTI PP......

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #24 on: 16 October 2017, 10:42 »
Hi
I just wanted to ask if you where getting a high pitch almost wind/whistle noise from the rear with these tyres ? Only ask as i have the same tyres on mine and I know it's not bearings as they have been done and just thought it might be the tyres, thanks
No, it is just road noise. If the road is smooth there is no noise. If the road is rough there is lots of tyre roar.

You could try swapping your front and rear tyres.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Tara

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 16 October 2017, 13:05 »
Hi
No, it is just road noise. If the road is smooth there is no noise. If the road is rough there is lots of tyre roar.

You could try swapping your front and rear tyres.

Ok will do.
White GTI PP......

Offline Sandtrap

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 16 October 2017, 13:46 »
PS4 ..
2014 GTI Performance
2012 Golf R DSG
2010 GTD
2008 GTD
2007 GTI

Offline DarrenW

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 16 October 2017, 21:35 »
Anyone running Dunlop SP Sportmaxx RT2? Would go for the PS4 but the noise is concerning.

The Dunlops were excellent on my MINI. Can’t believe how prone to wheelspin and tramping the Potenzas are.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 18 October 2017, 21:06 »
This has just got a bit trickier, was sold on the Michelins but have just checked the prices on blackcircles. P Zeros just under £600, Conti 6s about £630 and PS4S at £780. The P Zeros have been updated recently and review well, pretty happy with my current ones having covered near 20k miles so not sure I want to spend the extra £180, that's 200 packets of pork scratchings! Hmmm....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 18 October 2017, 21:59 »
Why does everyone bad mouth these Bridgestone!? I've driven on way worse!!!

Why.... Because they are crap! They were crap back in 2011. They came 8th of out 10 in a tyre test on the GTI in 2011

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tyre-guides/36695/tyre-test-2011

They would be fine for an SE model but not the GTI. I'm dreading the temperature dropping as they are already struggling for traction unless you drive like Miss Daisy.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey