Author Topic: From Polo Blue GT - Mk7.5 Golf GTD  (Read 5235 times)

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Re: From Polo Blue GT - Mk7.5 Golf GTD
« Reply #20 on: 11 October 2017, 16:53 »
After that post, I've got to add my voice to those saying wait to see where you are, before committing to a big purchase. Seems like you've got itchy feet and, if that's right, you may end up making a rash (and wrong!) decision. As above, the car you have is not half bad, so surely making do for a while, until you know exactly what you need/want/can afford wouldn't be too difficult.

Hate to be boring, but in your situation I think boring is best.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 11 October 2017, 17:56 »
How old / what mileage / spec. is your Blue GT?

I sold mine in August and got £12,125 for it in a private sale. It was a 5dr manual with 24K miles and was 2.5 years old. Had loads of extras (xenons, climate, heated seats, sat nav, etc.) but needed two new tyres and a repair to one of the alloys (not desperate, but result of parking by touch).

Got quite a lot of calls for it too.

It was a good car and capable of some decent mpg figures (long term average was about 45 according to read-out), but my new Golf GTi PP 7.5 is a much more grown up and refined car.
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 11 October 2017, 18:09 »
As an old fart I'll have to agree with the tight arse northerners and consumerist Londoners in that I'd want to make sure I had a job before committing to buying a depreciating asset with an engine that is currently seen as the next worst thing next to North Korean presidents and North American presidents.
With a nod of the head from the right people car trends can suddenly change. A few years ago Diesels were seen as the answer to all the world's problems and were thus rated at zero road tax and the promise of eternal life if you bought one. Current political brainwashing is that Diesels are the equal of war crimes and mass murder and they'll give you lots of money to part exchange them against petrol cars that were the spawn of the devil a few years ago. Petrol cars now only emit fairy dust from their tailpipes and are the current saviour of the world, until they sort out electric cars batteries that will allow you to drive up more than three hills before they need pushing to the nearest wall socket. At that point electric cars will be the saviour of the world and nuclear power stations also run on fairy dust.

There will never be a shortage of lightly used GTD's on dealer forecourts until owning a Diesel grants you automatic status of having to sit in the village stocks for two weeks.
Wait until you've got a decent job and then buy a GTI.
Polo Blue GT's will always fetch a decent part ex price as they're very easy for dealers to sell on again. Well, I say always, in 20 years time they'll maybe not be worth very much depending on whether they've disintegrated or not. But if you've still not got a job in 20 years then that'll be the least of your worries and you'll be glad that you didn't waste £14k on a GTD that depreciated like a stone falling down a waterfall...

Then again, driving around in a GTD while you don't have a job would also be quite nice as it means you won't just be using it to sit in a traffic jam on the way to a job you hate and then back home again while you dream of retiring to somewhere sunny.

Toss a coin for it.  :whistle:

One of the best posts on a thread ever..!  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 11 October 2017, 18:11 »

I did 3 miles to work and back in a gtd and car was perfect from day 1.

Shame on the poor sod who got it after you! A 3 mile drive each way in a diesel   :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Arran

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 11 October 2017, 18:49 »
How old / what mileage / spec. is your Blue GT?

I sold mine in August and got £12,125 for it in a private sale. It was a 5dr manual with 24K miles and was 2.5 years old. Had loads of extras (xenons, climate, heated seats, sat nav, etc.) but needed two new tyres and a repair to one of the alloys (not desperate, but result of parking by touch).

Got quite a lot of calls for it too.

It was a good car and capable of some decent mpg figures (long term average was about 45 according to read-out), but my new Golf GTi PP 7.5 is a much more grown up and refined car.

Mine is 4 years old in February and due a service, brakes and 2 new rear tyres soon. It’s covered 38000 miles and is a 2 door in Blue Silk. It has rear parking sensors.

Offline Arran

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 11 October 2017, 18:54 »
I know you are all talking perfect sense in terms of my current employment situation however having had the most horrendous year both in terms of work and my health I feel a new car is something positive and deserved, at least that what my wife says! Financially this is money banked and set aside although I fully appreciate it’s a depreciating asset.

Maybe I need to think about it more carefully.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 11 October 2017, 19:26 »
I had a similar predicament a few months back. My lease was coming to an end and I was tempted to go for a cheap lease on a GTi.

Good job I missed out as after changing jobs my annual mileage has almost doubled and after extending my current lease by a few months a GTD is now much more appropriate.

My advice would be to wait until you have a better idea of what your exact circumstances will be going forwards. In a month or two the money should still be there and there will unlikely be any shortage of Golf's to buy.

In the meantime there are far worse places to be than behind the wheel of a Polo Blue GT.
7.5 GTD

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 11 October 2017, 20:04 »
Some very good posts on here..

I think the biggest difference is that going from a lighter weight car with a lightweight nose to a bigger car with a heavy nose you will feel the loss of "chuckablility".

I have driven many VAG cars & can always tell the diesels just by the extra nose weight which shows up when driving briskly down a back road...

Yes a GTD has plenty of poke & can give you a grin, but the dynamics are not there compared to your current car...

Plus even the current Euro6 diesels do not meet in real life the stated manufacturers emissions under the new EQUA testing regime.. so they may be subject to future bans...

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 11 October 2017, 20:38 »
I know you are all talking perfect sense in terms of my current employment situation however having had the most horrendous year both in terms of work and my health I feel a new car is something positive and deserved, at least that what my wife says! Financially this is money banked and set aside although I fully appreciate it’s a depreciating asset.

Maybe I need to think about it more carefully.

All good enough reasons to buy a new car, but my view is that buying a diesel in the current climate will redefine your perception of "depreciation".  My job keeps me up to speed with the European car industry, and diesel is not the place to be right now, or in the forseeable future.  The political wind is blowing in the direction of full electric, followed by petrol/electric hybrid, then petrol, in that order.  As far as desirability goes, diesel is now the pariah of fuels and Governments the world over are lining up to outlaw fossil fuel powered cars by 2040.

Ownership of diesels will become more difficult over the coming years - increases in fuel and road taxes, weighted congestion or emissions charges in cities, increased parking charges for diesels are options under active consideration by national and local authorities, and one of the only reasons they haven't yet been implemented is the fact that a lot of voters currently run diesels as a result of taxation benefits over previous years.

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #29 on: 11 October 2017, 22:36 »
As an old fart I'll have to agree with the tight arse northerners and consumerist Londoners in that I'd want to make sure I had a job before committing to buying a depreciating asset with an engine that is currently seen as the next worst thing next to North Korean presidents and North American presidents.
With a nod of the head from the right people car trends can suddenly change. A few years ago Diesels were seen as the answer to all the world's problems and were thus rated at zero road tax and the promise of eternal life if you bought one. Current political brainwashing is that Diesels are the equal of war crimes and mass murder and they'll give you lots of money to part exchange them against petrol cars that were the spawn of the devil a few years ago. Petrol cars now only emit fairy dust from their tailpipes and are the current saviour of the world, until they sort out electric cars batteries that will allow you to drive up more than three hills before they need pushing to the nearest wall socket. At that point electric cars will be the saviour of the world and nuclear power stations also run on fairy dust.

There will never be a shortage of lightly used GTD's on dealer forecourts until owning a Diesel grants you automatic status of having to sit in the village stocks for two weeks.
Wait until you've got a decent job and then buy a GTI.
Polo Blue GT's will always fetch a decent part ex price as they're very easy for dealers to sell on again. Well, I say always, in 20 years time they'll maybe not be worth very much depending on whether they've disintegrated or not. But if you've still not got a job in 20 years then that'll be the least of your worries and you'll be glad that you didn't waste £14k on a GTD that depreciated like a stone falling down a waterfall...

Then again, driving around in a GTD while you don't have a job would also be quite nice as it means you won't just be using it to sit in a traffic jam on the way to a job you hate and then back home again while you dream of retiring to somewhere sunny.

Toss a coin for it.  :whistle:

One of the best posts on a thread ever..!  :grin:

Same here, I actually found myself giggling but all completely true.

Would I buy a diesel no but I would rent one or finance it to take the risk away yes
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.