Author Topic: Honest Opinions On Owning/Keeping On Top Of A Deep Black Pearl Car  (Read 8814 times)

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
Ok, As much as I love my R it will be 3 years old next March and thoughts have turned to it’s replacement.
Due to the uninspiring palette of colours for the Mk7.5 only DBP and Indium Grey work for me.
Having decided that I won’t be having another R (It’s an itch that has been scratched and ticked off the bucket list) If I have another Golf it will be a Christmas tree GTi PP.
So as the title suggests can anyone put me off Deep Black Pearl ??
Just like to point out Lapiz Blue is not the easiest colour to keep the swirls at bay but I am not sure I will still be jumping into a ball of fire with Black. I had a Mk4 GTi in Black back in the day and swore I would never have another but that was back in the sponge and chamois days and they have long been consigned to the bin.
So do your worst and unleash your thoughts good and bad on me !!
« Last Edit: 24 September 2017, 12:30 by JB GTI »
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
I’ve had 2 DBP Golfs (a mk4 and a mk5). Owning a black car is a labour of love, but as you had a black mk4 Golf, you’ll already be aware of that.

A good washing and drying technique will help to keep paintwork swirls at bay, but over time, even with a careful washing and drying regime, eventually you will get some swirling.

DBP looks fantastic if you’re prepared to put in the time and effort to keep it looking good. If not, then a lighter colour that doesn’t show swirls might be a better option. Would I have another black car? Yes, because I enjoy cleaning and detailing my car. However, if it was a choice between DBP and Indium Grey, I’d probably choose Indium, but only because I’ve owned more black cars than any other colour.

If you do decide on DBP, what ever you do, don’t let the dealer wash your car!
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Ok, As much as I love my R it will be 3 years old next March and thoughts have turned to it’s replacement.
Due to the uninspiring palette of colours for the Mk7.5 only DBP and Indium Grey work for me.
Having decided that I won’t be having another R (It’s an itch that has been scratched and ticked off the bucket list) If I have another Golf it will be a Christmas tree GTi PP.
So as the title suggests can anyone put me off Deep Black Pearl ??
Just like to point out Lapiz Blue is not the easiest colour to keep the swirls at bay but I am not sure I will still be jumping into a ball of fire with Black. I had a Mk4 GTi in Black back in the day and swore I would never have another but that was back in the sponge and chamois days and they have long been consigned to the bin.
So do your worst and unleash your thoughts good and bad on me !!

It all depends on how much time, commitment and will you have to devote to keeping on top of DBP.  And how much it might bother you when it's not clean. You're coming from Lapiz which itself is probably one of the more challenging colours to keep on top of, and will give you the benefit of the doubt that you already have well practiced good washing and drying techniques which obviously are pretty important in keeping the swirls at bay as DBP shows them possibly more than Lapiz. 

So keeping a DBP pearl car looking good and in good condition does require a reasonable amount of dedication but you can make life easier on yourself by choosing coatings or sealants that will make ongoing maintenance a little easier and less time consuming.  But they still need washing regularly if you like a clean car, so the time factor is important, but if you can streamline it to fit what time you have then it might work for you - pre-washing is key to looking after DBP so factor that in.  It kinds goes without saying but I think a pristine well looked after DBP looks amazing. I think it's worth the effort.

Dealer not washing or prepping car is a given for anyone who is bothered by such things.  You could go down the pro detail route to get the car off to a good start and then take it from there.  Bottom line is, if you can't stand a dirty car and don't have much time to devote to keeping on top of it then DBP might not be the best choice. If you do think you can give it the attention it will need then you will be rewarded with a lovely choice of colour and hopefully will enjoy it all along the way, so long as it doesn't become a chore and a burden.

« Last Edit: 24 September 2017, 13:33 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
So, snow foam every time, 2 bucket wash with a Lambswool mitt and a combination of dabbed WO WO plush drying towels and the Metro Vac blower and take my time and I might get away with it ?
This is basically my cleaning regime now. You are not putting me off !!

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
So, snow foam every time, 2 bucket wash with a Lambswool mitt and a combination of dabbed WO WO plush drying towels and the Metro Vac blower and take my time and I might get away with it ?

Why would we want to put you off.  DBP cars are the best.  :grin:

But you don't get off that lightly....I would seriously suggest and recommend that you add a second pre wash stage after snow foam - ValetPro Citrus pre wash applied with a foam lance, and left to dwell for 10 mins, then rinse then your 2 bucket wash.  The cleaning power of snow foam followed by a lance applied Citrus pre wash is amazing and leaves the minimum for the bucket wash to do, which means less touch of paintwork. Then dab dry or use an air dryer or both.  I started using that 2 pronged snow foam/Citrus pre wash approach earlier this year and can honestly say it's transformed the wash regime. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JB GTI

• I live here

But you don't get off that lightly....I would seriously suggest and recommend that you add a second pre wash stage after snow foam - ValetPro Citrus pre wash applied with a foam lance, and left to dwell for 10 mins, then rinse then your 2 bucket wash.  The cleaning power of snow foam followed by a lance applied Citrus pre wash is amazing and leaves the minimum for the bucket wash to do, which means less touch of paintwork. Then dab dry or use an air dryer or both.  I started using that 2 pronged snow foam/Citrus pre wash approach earlier this year and can honestly say it's transformed the wash regime.
So clean out the snow foam lance and fill it with citrus pre wash and use the snow foam lance again or have I got to buy something else to apply the citrus pre wash ??

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict

So clean out the snow foam lance and fill it with citrus pre wash and use the snow foam lance again or have I got to buy something else to apply the citrus pre wash ??

No need for anything else to apply it. After snow foaming use same lance. Don't bother cleaning it out, use up snow foam, or tip out any remaining, then an inch or 1.5" of citrus pre wash topped up with about 800mls water, then apply to snow foamed and rinsed car.  It adds a little extra time into the process but well worth it. 

So:

apply snow foam - dwell - jet wash off.  Fill lance up with Citrus pre wash - apply (just as you would snow foam - note, it's a much thinner consistency) to thoroughly cover car - dwell 10 mins - pressure wash off - bucket wash and so on.   
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Citrus pre wash post snow foam, sounds good, will make amental note to get some on my next products order, thanks!

JB GTI, at this point normally I'd be shouting about all the benefits of red but it sounds like you've finished off the Greek cheese (feta complete, sorry :rolleyes:).
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
I need to replenish some of my detailing supplies after detailing my car last week, so I’ll add Citrus Pre-wash to my list :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Citrus pre wash post snow foam, sounds good, will make amental note to get some on my next products order, thanks!

JB GTI, at this point normally I'd be shouting about all the benefits of red but it sounds like you've finished off the Greek cheese (feta complete, sorry :rolleyes:).

I need to replenish some of my detailing supplies after detailing my car last week, so I’ll add Citrus Pre-wash to my list :smiley:.

You will not be disappointed.  It's right up there with filtered DI water as a game changer. Some do it the other way round - Citrus pre wash then snow foam, but to me that negates the main benefit of snow foam, which is to soften and remove the real surface crap. So that first, then the citrus pre wash doesn't have to deal with that and can get to work as a deep cleanse stage. Bucket wash for the little that's left.

Feta complete.   :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual