Author Topic: Golf R - DSG vs stick  (Read 4316 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Golf R - DSG vs stick
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2017, 11:45 »
Speaking as a Yorkshireman, I was just too tight to spend the money  :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 16 August 2017, 12:06 »
DSG does suit the R and I think works really well with the ACC, when I had the manual Polo and two DSG Rs I found the Polo was getting used less and less as a daily as for daily grind for me it was losing its appeal. so it got replaced for a R estate, for something more engaging I bought the M2

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2017, 14:21 »
Manual for me :smiley:
The very fact that the DSG offers more than one way of changing gear puts me off as I find I'm constantly switching between paddle shift, gear lever shift or just plain old auto. Way too many decisions to make at my age.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2017, 14:34 »
I also think this is down to how many miles you do a year and what type of roads you drive on. If I was doing loads of miles and was using it in and around town where you'd be constantly changing gear then I'd have probably have gone for the DSG. I only do around 5,000 miles a year varying from country roads to town to motorway and so I wanted something a bit more engaging and fun and I have that in the manual gearbox.

Its around town that the box can be at its most annoying  :sad: especially when approaching junctions / roundabouts and it can't decide whether to hold the gear you are in or change down

I can approach the same place at the same speed on separate occasions and the box will either hold the gear (which is what I would do) or it will change down

For the other 95% of the time its a fantastic piece of kit  :smiley:

Offline candywhite12

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2017, 14:56 »
The very fact that the DSG offers more than one way of changing gear puts me off as I find I'm constantly switching between paddle shift, gear lever shift or just plain old auto. Way too many decisions to make at my age.

this is precisely what turns me on tbh  :grin: :grin: :grin:
Wife's: mk8 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr atlantic blue, DSG, Norfolk 17", pan s/r, leds
Now: mk7.5 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr tornado red, DSG, Singapore 17", pan s/r, leds
Before: mk6 GTI 5dr candy white, DSG, Monza Shadow 18", s/r, bi-Xenons, DCC
Even before that: mk5 GT 5dr tornado red, manual, s/r

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #15 on: 16 August 2017, 15:45 »

this is precisely what turns me on tbh  :grin: :grin: :grin:
Each to their own I suppose
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 17 August 2017, 07:48 »
The R with DSG is a perfect combo...creates the 'Playstation' experience which is quite fun.

My weekend car will definitely be a manual though when the time comes next year and the R can remain doing its daily duties with a bit of swagger.
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 17 August 2017, 08:40 »
The manual in the Golf R is not to be sniffed at though.  I have a manual shift in my Golf R and it is so silky smooth and effortless to use, it's a pure joy. Definitely the best manual shift I have ever used since learning to drive all those years ago.   

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 17 August 2017, 16:22 »
If you are buying new then the MK7.5 R will have the newer WET 7 speed DSG used by AUDI for some time now. Same as the 6 speed but with a 7th gear (all ratios different but 7th is higher than the 6s 6th so better mpg on the motorway).

I have has DSGs in 3 motors now and never experienced a single issue and will probably buy a MK8 R when the come out - with DSG - unless electric technology has moved on significantly by them - a 4 wheel drive GTi or R with electric motors on one axle would be an interesting proposition.
2015 R DSG. Limestone Grey, DCC, Winter Pack, Tech Pack, Reversing Camera    plus   2013 Mk7 GTi DSG - Performance, Navigation, Winter Pack, DCC, Park Assist,