Author Topic: Spielberg alloys  (Read 6893 times)

Offline devilscaff

• Here all the time
  • allways up for alaugh
Spielberg alloys
« on: 24 June 2017, 14:30 »
Been to the dealers to order my R but came away incomplete as now stuck on wheels. I went in deep wanting prets but my wife and son prefer the Spielberg wheels I'm not convinced anyone have an opinion?

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: Spielberg alloys
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2017, 14:34 »
Silver Pretoria all day long. The Speielbergs are truly horrible in comparison.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2017, 14:35 »
Pretorias.
Pretorias.
Pretorias.

I don't hate the Spielbergs like some people do but Pretorias are proper lightweight wheels and aren't polished so easier to repair if damaged.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline devilscaff

• Here all the time
  • allways up for alaugh
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2017, 14:37 »
Exactly what I was explaining to my family. I have Glendales on my 35 at present and having the black gloss centres are a nightmare to clean plus show stone chips off. Alloy prets is definitely my choice.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2017, 14:38 »
Just to add, the Spielbergs (who thinks up these appalling names? ) will look different on either side of the car as they are not symmetrical :whistle:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2017, 15:00 »
Just to add, the Spielbergs (who thinks up these appalling names? ) will look different on either side of the car as they are not symmetrical :whistle:
That sounds a bit like my face!  :laugh:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2017, 15:39 »
If it was me and the choice was either Spielberg or Pretoria alloys, it would definitely be the Pretorias, even though they're £180 more expensive than the Spielbergs. IMO, the Pretorias are a much nicer looking wheel than the Spielbergs, but I'd also consider the practicalities of both;

- Spielbergs are diamond cut, and diamond cut alloys are prone to white worm corrosion.
- Diamond cut Spielbergs will be more expensive to refurb than powder coated Pretorias if you're unfortunate enough to kerb them.
- the Pretoria's powder coated finish is much more durable than a diamond cut finish, and will withstand the winter salt / grit much better than the Spielbergs will. 

Pretorias all the way.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2017, 16:46 »
Been to the dealers to order my R but came away incomplete as now stuck on wheels. I went in deep wanting prets but my wife and son prefer the Spielberg wheels I'm not convinced anyone have an opinion?

This is what happens when you are considerate and let others be involved in decisions you'd rather take yourself! Be selfish, get permission to wear the trousers and get those Pretorias ordered! I've plenty more good advice to give but apparently I've got to get the kettle on.... :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2017, 17:02 »
It's a total no brainier. Pretorias are by far and away one ofthe nicest OEM wheel options available - on any car. IMO. Sick to death of the sight of all those diamond cut alloys with black centres. On everything from a Quasqai to an M4 these days. The standard wheel offerings on the new GTI are absolutely shocking. The 19" options being marginally more acceptable.
Prets all the way. First option I'd tick. Every time. (Which is easier in Ireland as they're only €130  :laugh:)
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2017, 17:03 »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.