Author Topic: Turbo issues maybe...  (Read 7728 times)

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
  • 2003 Golf MK4 GTTDI ARL (PD150)
Turbo issues maybe...
« on: 11 June 2017, 09:26 »
Ok so this is not a MK4 Golf but a Mk1 Leon but they use the same bits so......I have had turbo issues with my 1.8T (APP 180BHP) (not boosting then making loud noises, then finally chucking oil out the exhaust) so I swapped out the KO3 for a KO3S with new seals/gaskets. Also fitted a boost gauge, which moves (although does seem to jump around a lot rather than smoothly going up, not sure if thats normal), but the car just doesn't feel quick on acceleration. The car has had the turbo fault from the day I got it so I have nothing to compare the power/acceleration to other than my old MK4 Golf 150bhp GTTDI (being diesel the turbo kick is obviously more than stock petrol due to massive torque). The N249 Solenoid does not 'Click' when running VAG-COM output tests so feel this is probably faulty. Any ideas what else could cause the car to feel a bit 'meh'?

Also, not sure if this is relevent but also from the day I got it, and still even with different MAF, the T/C light comes on whilst driving (not all the time but most of the time) and stays on until you turn the ignition off.

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: Turbo issues maybe...
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2017, 11:36 »
Bypass the N249 as a starting point, it's not really needed. I would rather the vacuum from the engine control when the DV opens than the ECU thinking it knows best. It's worked for years on turbo engined cars like that so not sure why it needs to ECU controlled now.

Give that a go and see how you get on

Also clear all your fault codes (not just in the engine module, give it a full scan) and go for a drive on and off boost then see what codes you have after that and post them up

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2017, 12:08 »
Bypass the N249 as a starting point, it's not really needed. I would rather the vacuum from the engine control when the DV opens than the ECU thinking it knows best. It's worked for years on turbo engined cars like that so not sure why it needs to ECU controlled now.

Give that a go and see how you get on

Also clear all your fault codes (not just in the engine module, give it a full scan) and go for a drive on and off boost then see what codes you have after that and post them up

Whats the simplest way to byepass it short term?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2017, 12:36 »
Run vac hose from dv to inlet
And then the other inlet to the fuel pressure regulator. Everything else is then bypassed and can be forgotton.

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2017, 19:45 »
I pulled the little hose on the DV off and blocked it up and turbo boosts as it should (well no obvious hesitating anymore)

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2017, 21:40 »
Dv is the culprit then

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2017, 21:52 »
Dv is the culprit then

Same thing with 3 differnt DV's :(

When the Boost Gauge was plumbed into that hose it had a constant vacuum so its definitely forcing the DV to be open all the time

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2017, 11:02 »
Split vaccum from inlet. Have you simplified the vac lines to eliminate all the stuff not needed

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2017, 13:35 »
ok....so N249 replaced and boost gauge moved to the dv hose and now not getting a vacuum reading getting a boost reading so all good so far. had a bit of a drive and acceleration feels a lot better and seemed to peak at around 18-20psi instead of 11-15psi. Was all town driving though so will need to take it out on dual carriageway tomorrow for some more testing but was still some turbo hesitation, most noticably in 2nd gear from 2-2.5k and 4.5-5k rpm.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2017, 14:29 »
Right the pipe from actuator to n75 is it split?
Are the n75 lines silicone or still rubber also