Author Topic: Car thefts on the increase, since keyless entry?  (Read 7770 times)

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Re: Car thefts on the increase, since keyless entry?
« Reply #30 on: 28 April 2017, 13:12 »
Just spotted this very latest form of keyless theft.Through the walls of your house!.Video here:

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/high-tech-thieves-use-radio-trick-unlock-start-car/

I didn't think the transponder signal would be that strong to pick up this way!. :huh:

A very simple way to protect against this, if you are concerned, is to wrap the key loosely in a piece of aluminium foil, so that there are 3, or so, layers all around the key. I think it's called a Faraday Cage. The foil prevents the key from operating the keyless system, even when right next to the car, so no signal for the bad guys to pick up and amplify.  :nerd:
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
Re: Car thefts on the increase, since keyless entry?
« Reply #31 on: 28 April 2017, 14:48 »
Just spotted this very latest form of keyless theft.Through the walls of your house!.Video here:

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/high-tech-thieves-use-radio-trick-unlock-start-car/

I didn't think the transponder signal would be that strong to pick up this way!. :huh:

A very simple way to protect against this, if you are concerned, is to wrap the key loosely in a piece of aluminium foil, so that there are 3, or so, layers all around the key. I think it's called a Faraday Cage. The foil prevents the key from operating the keyless system, even when right next to the car, so no signal for the bad guys to pick up and amplify.  :nerd:

Yeah i've heard about that one.I think it is like the foil lined bags that shoplifters use, to stop the tags activating as they leave the shop.
Also read that if you leave your fob in the fridge or microwave it blocks the signal.I wouldn't put tit in the oven mind.... :laugh:
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.