Author Topic: Car thefts on the increase, since keyless entry?  (Read 7792 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: Car thefts on the increase, since keyless entry?
« Reply #20 on: 26 April 2017, 15:43 »
From the Ross tech website:

The [Transport Mode]   function found in the Applications Screen is used in some vehicles using CAN for diagnostics, to Activate or De-activate a special Transport Mode that is used by the factory to put the cars into a "sleep" mode to conserve battery charge during long periods of inactivity.

[Activate Transport Mode]
    Clicking this button will put applicable vehicles into Transport Mode, shutting down most systems.

[De-Activate Transport Mode]
    Clicking this button will "wake up" applicable vehicles from Transport Mode, powering up most system.

These functions are only available when using professional-grade interfaces.

On some early CAN-based cars, Transport Mode cannot be re-enabled once the car has more than 150km on the odometer.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline HeyBert

• Just got here
« Reply #21 on: 26 April 2017, 17:22 »
I have the Autowatch Ghost fitted to mine and its worked flawlessly. Irrespective of whether thieves bypass the OBD or have the keys, without the code which is inputted by a series of self selected/programmed button presses, the car won't start.

Mind you, still didn't stop someone from having a crack at breaking into my house for the keys recently.

Also use a disklok following that when parked overnight or for any length of time.

I have had a quick look at the website and a local company install the products so interested. How has it been installed in your car, the site mentions it integrates with existing components within the car cabin.

The install is covert, basically integrates into the can bus wiring and my installer didn't show me where he fitted it. You use existing components to de-activate the immobiliser. For example you set a passcode based upon key presses. Can be steering wheel button presses, such as volume up/down/left/right/OK, etc. You can also use certain other switches like, window up/down, etc. Once set, you then press the Start button leaving you foot off the brake, punch in the series of key/button presses which is effectively your PIN and then your hazard indicators flash, you press the brake and start button again. Sounds a faff, but you soon get into the swing of things. There is a valet mode overwrite as well for when the car goes into service.

I have the early product without iPhone integration. But the iPhone version looks easier to operate but restricts you to one device so not practical if you have multiple drivers.

« Last Edit: 26 April 2017, 17:25 by HeyBert »
VW Golf GTI MK7 5 door DSG in Tornado Red

Offline mark64uk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 26 April 2017, 17:30 »
Has anyone had a tracker fitted? I noticed the VW configurator allows you to include the Vodafone Protect and Connect 6. The website mentions 25% discount on insurance with this fitted, so slightly tempted as I work away some weeks. So any recommendations would be much appreciated.

I was going to go with the autowatch ghost but thought if they broke in for the keys i didn't fancy waking up and being forced to hand over the PIN.

I'm going for a self install rechargeable tracker http://www.trackersecurity.co.uk/automatrics-mtrack.html let the take the car but know where it is i don't need one for insurance BUT id like to get one over the C#~t that nicks it.

They have youtube channel where they log some of their finds https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWRXwGwCL8VqRaDSqmCnxaw

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 27 April 2017, 17:46 »
Well it's coming  up to the one year anniversary of my Gti stolen from the drive after very unsubtle brick through patio window to get the keys....I do now have a couple of extra forms of security on my replacement car but it is still a worry ...

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 27 April 2017, 18:22 »
Well it's coming  up to the one year anniversary of my Gti stolen from the drive after very unsubtle brick through patio window to get the keys....I do now have a couple of extra forms of security on my replacement car but it is still a worry ...
I bet it is, Nasty experience all round. And in many ways can spoil the enjoyment of ownershiip. What annoys me is today's gloating over crime figures. Out of date, cars are back on the hit list, just cyber crime. What can you do but do your best to not let em win!

Felel for you mate, maybe a BIG dog is best solution?
« Last Edit: 27 April 2017, 23:42 by CHB100 »
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 27 April 2017, 20:43 »
Just spotted this very latest form of keyless theft.Through the walls of your house!.Video here:

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/high-tech-thieves-use-radio-trick-unlock-start-car/

I didn't think the transponder signal would be that strong to pick up this way!. :huh:
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline MkVIIGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 28 April 2017, 12:04 »
Sorry to go a little off topic....
Does anyone know why a new Golf R 7.5 in 5 door can be specced with keyless but the 3 door version can't?  :huh:

Golf MkVII GTD Tornado Red, DSG, Leather, Rear Camera, Keyless

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 28 April 2017, 12:20 »
I mat be wrong but I'm not sure if any 3 door came with keyless Gti or R
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline MkVIIGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 28 April 2017, 12:22 »
Do you mean Mk7 or Mk7.5? I currently have a GTD 3dr Mk7 with Keyless  :smiley:

Golf MkVII GTD Tornado Red, DSG, Leather, Rear Camera, Keyless

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 28 April 2017, 12:26 »
Do you mean Mk7 or Mk7.5? I currently have a GTD 3dr Mk7 with Keyless  :smiley:

I was on about mk7 as wen I got my 16 plate 3 door Gti it came without keyless when I asked why I was informed they had stopped doing it on 3 door models
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆