Author Topic: Car thefts on the increase, since keyless entry?  (Read 7790 times)

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
Although I've not ordered keyless on my R, Out of interest has anyone had or know of anyone with a keyless or otherwise Golf stolen in recent years?  I know Audi have issues. especially with S3's. And brought to light again following that terrible event in Manchester recently. I don't know if his was keyless or not?  I'm panicking a little, enough to get the old Krook-lock out of the loft!
Also any additional immobilising devices available? Shame these don't have a rotor arm anymore!
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Bigwod

• Not said much yet
Re: Car thefts on the increase, since keyless entry?
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2017, 15:08 »
Every car of mine has the Disklok on them  when not in use, from the humble 306 cabriolet to the very steal able Ford Focus RS 500.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2017, 15:50 »
Every car of mine has the Disklok on them  when not in use, from the humble 306 cabriolet to the very steal able Ford Focus RS 500.
I'm the same concerning using a disklok, especially when parked up at night.
My wife is considering ordering a clubsport and she won't faff about with a disklok, so maybe best to give keyless a miss :undecided:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline mark64uk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2017, 16:03 »
I've looked at either a immobiliser that even with the key it wont start or a tracker. I'm going to go for the tracker as if they break in for the keys i don't want to piss them off when it wont start even thought they have the keys!

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2017, 16:53 »
Yes that was terrible what happened to that guy in Chorlton.I think they broke in to get the keys.
His S3 was a 66 plate,reg in Jan 17.So i guess he'd bought it new.Even the Detective in charge of the case said although the advice is always to do nothing and call the Police.He said 'i would have confronted them as well'.It's only human nature to protect your property.
My GTD is keyless and they can steal it if they want.I think the S3 is much higher on the theft rate table than the R.
I was reading on What Car the other day,another method of stopping the crooks intercepting the signal from your keyless fob- is simply to use your key to lock and unlock it.
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2017, 17:27 »
If reading about these thefts of modern cars has made me realise one thing, it's that these people are usually ruthless and will stop at nothing. They also rarely turn up unprepared.

It's human nature to defend your property, and I certainly don't believe in giving it to them on a plate. I prefer a range of visual deterrents, burglar alarm (real one not dummy box), security lights, crook lock or disk lock. However, if they ignore all this and decide to help themselves anyway, then they really mean business and probably won't think twice about clobbering you if you get in their way.

I've also read if they suspect the vehicle has a tracker they aren't averse to tearing it apart to find the receiver. If they did that, would you want the car back? I'm not sure I would.
7.5 GTD

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2017, 17:34 »
I've looked at either a immobiliser that even with the key it wont start or a tracker. I'm going to go for the tracker as if they break in for the keys i don't want to piss them off when it wont start even thought they have the keys!

One of the many reasons I have against keyless nice in thought not in practice in this day and age with the many opportunitists immobiliser alarm is standard but obviously not when they have the keys I got mine fitted with a 24hr monitoring tracker system within a couple of weeks of getting my car.

The car is monitored on via the app I can see exactly where it is  :whistle: :whistle:

It's not going to stop it from happening but it's a help
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2017, 18:20 »
Although I've not ordered keyless on my R, Out of interest has anyone had or know of anyone with a keyless or otherwise Golf stolen in recent years?  I know Audi have issues. especially with S3's. And brought to light again following that terrible event in Manchester recently. I don't know if his was keyless or not?  I'm panicking a little, enough to get the old Krook-lock out of the loft!
Also any additional immobilising devices available? Shame these don't have a rotor arm anymore!

Over on VWROC (the R specific forum) every member car that have been stolen (and there's been a good few), has been a case of thieves breaking into the house for the keys, not by any kind of keyless theft. . 

If thieving scum want a car, they'll take it, and if keyless means they can take it without breaking into the house and a potential confrontation (with potentially terrible consequences as in the recent tragic case) then better that. Nobody wants to have their hard earned possessions stolen but a car sure isn't worth losing your life over. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2017, 18:44 »
I'm the same concerning using a disklok, especially when parked up at night.
My wife is considering ordering a clubsport and she won't faff about with a disklok, so maybe best to give keyless a miss :undecided:
Doesn't matter if it's keyless or not if they want it bad enough nothing will stop them  :angry:

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2017, 18:49 »
Anyone use transport mode? I use it when going on holiday.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17