Author Topic: Advice needed on cleaning Golf R tailpipes  (Read 8704 times)

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
Advice needed on cleaning Golf R tailpipes
« on: 17 April 2017, 15:45 »
So my tailpipes are now blending in with the rest of the black and looking for tips on getting these sparkly clean again.

What products should I use to get that soot off, brushes, rags, cleaning fluids, etc etc..?

Thanks in advance
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: Advice needed on cleaning Golf R tailpipes
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2017, 15:55 »
I use this simply because I already had some that I use on my fire surround.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peek-33100-50ml-Tube-Paste/dp/B000TRQFGM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1492440589&sr=8-3&keywords=peek+metal+polish

Although I'm sure the mothers stuff is better
« Last Edit: 17 April 2017, 16:32 by kalimon »
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2017, 15:58 »
Top stuff!

http://www.motherscarcare.co.uk/cgi-bin/pbw.cgi?Command=ShowEPage&db_epid=30

Brings them up a treat :smiley:

Thanks, I have seen this recommended but assumed this is used only after the thick soot is scrubbed off, this is the bit I need advise on, how to get the soot off and by using what, any type of rag, a special brush etc?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2017, 16:28 »
I normally just wash them as I do the rest of the car except I'll use my wheel mitt after finishing the wheels at the same time as the underside of all the plastic sill extensions and inside the wheelarches. Then dry and apply the Mothers with a foam pad and buff off with a microfibre. Booth recommended a presoak with wheel cleaner (Bilberry) which I also do. Prior to becoming educated, I used to just use a non-stick washing up pad but don't tell my OH :lipsrsealed: It wasn't very good but it was cheap :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2017, 17:33 »
OK daft question then, there's no mention of using wire wool to clean the tailpipes whereas other videos I've seen use these, should I or shouldn't I use them?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2017, 18:03 »
Not found the need myself and mine were pretty minging when I first used Mothers. Seems to be plenty of guides online and some certainly do use wire wool, get some Mothers and give it a go, worked for me :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2017, 18:32 »
If you do use wire wool use 0000 grade and go easy :smiley:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2017, 18:47 »
Ah thanks all for your comments, best get ordering some Mothers Mag and plenty of cloths  :smiley:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 17 April 2017, 19:21 »
As above, Mothers Mag and aluminium polish is excellent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mothers-Mag-Aluminium-Polish-5oz/dp/B00068GEJM

I pre-wash with a few squirts of Bilberry Wheel Cleaner, then they get washed along with rest of car - snow foam, 2 bucket wash but I use a dedicated wheel woollie on the pipes which helps to shift the carbon (shoved in the pipe and rotated around). Finally, they are polished up with Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish and buffed to shiny with a plush microfibre. 

Bilberry is good for shifting loose soot but for baked on soot you need to work a good metal polish into it or if really baked on, a little metal polish on some fine grade 0000 steel wool worked around the perimeter of the pipes (not on the outer parts as will scratch) shifts it. Be very careful with the steel wool, as it can dull down the chrome.  Then polish to a high shine with metal polish.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberon-Metre-Length-Ultra-Grade/dp/B01B7XBQIS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492452842&sr=8-1&keywords=0000+steel+wool

Once you've got the baked on soot, keep on top of them, regular cleaning is the key to it.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11