Author Topic: Mk7 GTI Mpg  (Read 15546 times)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: Mk7 GTI Mpg
« Reply #30 on: 20 April 2017, 15:28 »
What part of it don't you understand? What is green diesel or do you mean red diesel?
Fred has hit the nail on the head. I didn't realise that you did so many miles. Between the time you spend in your car and the time you spend on this forum - how do you get any work done :tongue:

You said recently that you were Irish. And you don't get the green diesel reference :huh:

Just so you know, agricultural diesel in Ireland is green. Though I'm guessing you already know that.

Reference, Ireland = green dye - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dyes

From that link - this bit is interesting - "On 18 November 2014, a new measure to combat fuel laundering should result in the illegal trade being "virtually eliminated" in the United Kingdom, according to the HM Revenue and Customs. A new dye will be introduced in April 2015 in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland."

I've lived in the UK for years now but I grew up on a farm in Ireland and the diesel we used was red and if it is green now I didn't know that it was changed.

As for being on here and doing a lot of driving, have you never used the internet and drove at the same time :whistle:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #31 on: 20 April 2017, 15:52 »
I've lived in the UK for years now but I grew up on a farm in Ireland and the diesel we used was red and if it is green now I didn't know that it was changed.

As for being on here and doing a lot of driving, have you never used the internet and drove at the same time :whistle:
lol... no never :shocked: :smiley:

Hundreds of drivers convicted for illegal use of green diesel - http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/hundreds-of-drivers-convicted-for-illegal-use-of-green-diesel-35309043.html

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #32 on: 20 April 2017, 21:04 »
30+mpg  :sad:...40mpg  :angry:...I'm obviously doing something very wrong...averaging 30 on a good day, admittedly that is a shortish 7 mile commute, 5 mile on motorway with little traffic.  Think I'd better put some V Power in next fill and try a bit harder.

Hi Pixwix :smiley: I recall we had an exchange a few months back about this, still no improvement? From your description above, getting to 40 seems unlikely as the run is too short and a good proportion of it is with a cold engine. I'd expect around 33-36 from mine but can't be sure as clearly haven't tried your route. How fast are you going, honestly now.... Better economy is going to be under 70 and best 60 and under. Does your car use any oil? Despite being sceptical, I filled up with Tesco Momentum and it does seem to have made a difference, economy is very good and it seems to run a bit better. It could be all in my head though :rolleyes: but I think for £2.50 extra a tank, it's probably worth it.

It has improved since I changed my 2 front tyres due to the slow puncture so my tyre pressure was low...in fact I looked down today and it was 31.9, felt a,bit of a fraud with my post.  I probably am doing 70 on the motorway stretch, oh and maybe the extra 10 percent, oh and add the extra 2 as well :whistle: Doing a motorway trip to the airport in a few days so going to raise my bar and hope for 35.

Offline GloriaGTI

• Not said much yet
  • Nic
« Reply #33 on: 20 April 2017, 21:18 »
I've had mine since December last year (2nd owner) and I reset the long term average mpg once I took delivery.

My 9 mile A and B road commute, coupled with only using V Power means I average 30mpg. That has gone up by 2mpg since adding a Superchips map via Bluefin handset 3 weeks ago. Mine is DSG too.

At a steady 70 mph cruise it will easily settle in the mid-high 40's.
Mk7 GTI PP DSG - Limestone Grey w/ black Austin's

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 20 April 2017, 21:43 »
30+mpg  :sad:...40mpg  :angry:...I'm obviously doing something very wrong...averaging 30 on a good day, admittedly that is a shortish 7 mile commute, 5 mile on motorway with little traffic.  Think I'd better put some V Power in next fill and try a bit harder.

Hi Pixwix :smiley: I recall we had an exchange a few months back about this, still no improvement? From your description above, getting to 40 seems unlikely as the run is too short and a good proportion of it is with a cold engine. I'd expect around 33-36 from mine but can't be sure as clearly haven't tried your route. How fast are you going, honestly now.... Better economy is going to be under 70 and best 60 and under. Does your car use any oil? Despite being sceptical, I filled up with Tesco Momentum and it does seem to have made a difference, economy is very good and it seems to run a bit better. It could be all in my head though :rolleyes: but I think for £2.50 extra a tank, it's probably worth it.

It has improved since I changed my 2 front tyres due to the slow puncture so my tyre pressure was low...in fact I looked down today and it was 31.9, felt a,bit of a fraud with my post.  I probably am doing 70 on the motorway stretch, oh and maybe the extra 10 percent, oh and add the extra 2 as well :whistle: Doing a motorway trip to the airport in a few days so going to raise my bar and hope for 35.

So 80ish and only 7 miles? I think we have the answer then :grin: AND low tyre pressures!! So, either you slow down and improve the economy or, you accept 30ish is normal under the circumstances and carry on enjoying driving your car - I think the second is the best option :whistle: :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Marvey123

• Just got here
« Reply #35 on: 26 April 2017, 14:07 »
The fuel economy depends how you drive the car and the driving environment... around town I can get around 25mpg constantly screwing in sport mode or if I drive normal in eco mode 32mpg.. most of my driving depends on my mood and now with the new speeding regulations so strict 30mpg around town will be possible.. A lot of people seem to think GTI uses a lot of fuel. After around 10k mileage it does massively improve.. I've been on motorway cruises where I can get 44mpg minimum at 75-80 and my mum gets the same in a 1.0litre ecoboost fiesta! I have seen up to 66mpg on the motorway cruising at 75mph (have to admit it was downhill ish) but even up hill motorway cruising 70mph I can get around 50/55mpg.. got to London and back on 1 full tank few months ago doing 70-90mph so very impressive! 

I am new to this site, if anyone knows how to post pictures let me know I have some evidence to back up my conclusions 👌🏻

Offline Briggsy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #36 on: 26 April 2017, 17:55 »
now with the new speeding regulations so strict 30mpg around town will be possible..

Just as a side note, the new fine structures are for use in cases taken to magistrates. If it's a penalty notice being applied automatically by roadside/scamera then you'll still get the old fine.

It'd be an administrative nightmare to understand everyones individual wages for every single fine.

Offline Marvey123

• Just got here
« Reply #37 on: 26 April 2017, 22:41 »
Not sure about all that buddy.. I'm too young to get any kind of points 😂 I'm only 21 getting a GTI was costly enough although my insurance wasn't too bad. 1700 2 years NCB policy holder so I'm trying to make it 3 years NCB and no points