Author Topic: 2009 MK6 GTI buying questions  (Read 3004 times)

Offline Royle92

• Just got here
2009 MK6 GTI buying questions
« on: 03 April 2017, 19:27 »
Hi all

Apologies firstly if these questions I'm about to ask have been asked before (I'm sure they will have been!)

I'm looking to get a Mk6 gti. Manual or DSG I'm not particularly fussed, but have a few reservations and queries if you guys could help I'd really appreciate it:

1. With regards the timing chain issues what do I need to make sure of if I buy a 2009 / early 2010 model? (My budget probably won't stretch for a 2011 or later)
Is it a case of just making sure the latest revised tensioner is fitted or are there other things that need to have been done?

2. A bit of a daft question - there's a few I've seen for sale that have factory mud flaps front and rear. Personally I'm just not a fan of them at all (I don't mean to cause any offence to you guys who have them on here) so was wandering if anyone had bought one and had them removed? If so did it leave any holes on show that were 'obvious' to see?

3. Anything else you guys can offer in the way of advice for a 2009 / 2010 model? Things I should know etc.

Many thanks!

Thomas

Offline david25

• I live here
Re: 2009 MK6 GTI buying questions
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2017, 16:41 »

1. Please read the big thread, http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=262793.0

2. Yes, a new tensioner £300-£400 should be fine, but some people replace everything, see above

3. Mud flaps just unscrew from inside the wheel arch, there are install how-tos on forums, just reverse the steps

4. I've seen early cars with "engine replaced" from £8500 on ebay
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline Royle92

• Just got here
Re: 2009 MK6 GTI buying questions
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2017, 14:34 »
Thanks for the reply. Is it essential to have the revised timing chain done or is it only needed if you get the dreaded rattle or a failure? I'm looking at one at present with FVWSH, 60k on the clock but has not had it done. Is this something that will 99% go in the future or do some simply not need replacing? Take it it's always worth having the revision done anyhow.

Cheers