Author Topic: New performance packs for Golf R and Golf R Estate  (Read 10734 times)

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Re: New performance packs for Golf R and Golf R Estate
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2017, 17:26 »
Very interesting post.  Those packs, albeit expensive, are certainly tempting.  I'd like to see a few more vids of the sound of the exhaust though, hopefully they'll come over the next month or so, and some pops and crackles would be welcome.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 03 April 2017, 10:47 »
Very interesting post.  Those packs, albeit expensive, are certainly tempting.  I'd like to see a few more vids of the sound of the exhaust though, hopefully they'll come over the next month or so, and some pops and crackles would be welcome.

Fashion is a funny thing.
A few years ago it was all about whooshy dump valve noises and now every "petrol head" craves a few backfires from the exhaust.
Admittedly it can sound quite amusing in the right conditions but it makes me wonder what the next big ''must have" noise will be when we're all driving electric semi-autonimous cars.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 03 April 2017, 10:49 »
Motor whine maybe?

That Nissan thing on Top Gear last night demonstrated it, but I've never heard it on any current electric milkfloats cars
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 03 April 2017, 11:02 »
I was initially thinking of something like motor-whine but then went on to excess tyre roar maybe?
Those Bridgestones could become trendy after all  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 03 April 2017, 11:05 »
Wasn't the old GTD Sport and Sound technology actually developed for electric vehicles?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 03 April 2017, 11:19 »
Motor whine maybe?

That Nissan thing on Top Gear last night demonstrated it, but I've never heard it on any current electric milkfloats cars

That would be my thinking, the higher the power, the torque the more intense the motor whine,

To be honest, noises are nice, but it would still be the overall package of power, drive, comfort and looks and when you see what BMW have done with the i8 then the future of performance hybrid lower down food chain does look bright.

The extended future will be solar powered cars with the roof being one thin super efficient solar panel that powers super light batteries that in turn drives high powered engines.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 03 April 2017, 11:25 »

The extended future will be solar powered cars with the roof being one thin super efficient solar panel that powers super light batteries that in turn drives high powered engines.

I'll be one of those annoying old bastards that drives down the road in a solar panelled mobility scooter by then!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 03 April 2017, 11:32 »
I guess the desired sound will be the same as the sound made by truly high performance cars... I watched some formula E the other day, so maybe some sound like that...

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 03 April 2017, 13:14 »
So tick these boxes and you are well into the £40K territory.

Assuming brakes are the CCS disc and pad upgrade rather than new callipers etc

Akra will be superb but at the end of the day it is only a 4 cylinder turbo in terms of noise and will mean you make friends with the neighbours

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 03 April 2017, 13:20 »

People in Scotland are going to be screwed 50 weeks of the year in that case :whistle:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17