Author Topic: Tyres and Anti-Tramp!?  (Read 16379 times)

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
Tyres and Anti-Tramp!?
« on: 26 March 2017, 17:27 »
Still gaining knowledge on the new Golf we have. Having heard many bad things about the standard fit Bridgestone tyres, on the GTD. Could someone recommend some tyres, that are a good alternative to them  please? Also just why are the Bridgestone tyres, so very awful? Thanks.

Also, the woman in the showroom, mentioned something about blue liquid, that only the mechanics should change. I know is not oil, nor coolant, so just what is this mysterious blue liquid? :huh:

Lastly: Anti-tramp, what on earth is that!?
« Last Edit: 29 March 2017, 21:50 by GTDING »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Tyres and stuff..
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2017, 17:35 »
Rather than re-open the massive can of worms that tyres can be, just look a little further back and there has been many a thread on the subject!

Do they use Adblue in VW diesels now? That could be what was being referred to but I thought that was user top up?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2017, 17:36 »
I imagine the fluid is AdBlue, an additive used to help with diesel emissions

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/diesel/adblue

You'll be glad to know that the tech isn't used on the GTD, not yet anyway
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2017, 17:56 »
My parents Merc has a high capacity Ad Blue tank. So it is expected that it will only need filled during servicing.

The opinion of most owners is that the OEM Bridgestone tyres don't offer as much grip as many alternatives. They do wear well though. :rolleyes:

Possibly the best tyre currently available is the new Michelin PS4. Though Continental, Goodyear and Dunlop have tyres that should be almost as good for less money. Check tyrereviews.co.uk
« Last Edit: 26 March 2017, 18:14 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline vw spur

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2017, 20:04 »
Adblue certainly doesn't need to be added by a mechanic/fitter, the only thing you should do is wear gloves when topping it up, if it contacts the skin it can cause irritation. Ive no idea what vw would charge to top it up but we use it at work and it's about 60p a litre and VW certainly aren't telling you it's a mechanic only job so they can relieve you of 60p
Collected 09/04/16 : Golf GTD Carbon Grey Sport & Sound Pack DSG Pro Nav Dynaudio Rear Camera High Beam Assist 90% Tints

Still pining for:2009 BMW 330i M Sport Convertible

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2017, 22:50 »
Anyone needing adblue can buy it from tps and you don't need vw to fill it for you. You don't even need gloves but just be careful in case you're clumsy and do spill it.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2017, 07:10 by mcmaddy »
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2017, 07:02 »
Anyone needing adblue can buy it from tps and you don't need be to fill it for you. You don't even need gloves but just be careful in case you're clumsy and do still it.

Are we talking Ad-Blue moonshine here?  :laugh:
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline vw spur

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2017, 08:11 »
Anyone needing adblue can buy it from tps and you don't need vw to fill it for you. You don't even need gloves but just be careful in case you're clumsy and do spill it.

It's a good idea to wear gloves, what doesn't irritate your skin may irritate other people's and adblue is not the stuff to be getting on your skin if it can be avoided
Collected 09/04/16 : Golf GTD Carbon Grey Sport & Sound Pack DSG Pro Nav Dynaudio Rear Camera High Beam Assist 90% Tints

Still pining for:2009 BMW 330i M Sport Convertible

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2017, 09:11 »
This is the only advice you need:

You'll be glad to know that the (Adblue) tech isn't used on the GTD, not yet anyway
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2017, 18:52 »
This is the only advice you need:

You'll be glad to know that the (Adblue) tech isn't used on the GTD, not yet anyway

Many thanks! :smiley: