Author Topic: Dealer prep...yay or nay...advice needed  (Read 1908 times)

Offline juicelow

• Not said much yet
Dealer prep...yay or nay...advice needed
« on: 25 March 2017, 22:50 »
Hi folks....recently ordered a new gti. As part of the deal the dealer threw in paint seal and also some kind of inside protection on the seats for free. :whistle:
Just need some honest advice and maybe first hand experiences.....even though it's free, should I just say thanks but no thanks? and ask for delivery without washing or paint prep...Is the risk of a shoddy job and paint damage from the dealer really that common? Does anyone know what the seat protection is?

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
Re: Dealer prep...yay or nay...advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2017, 07:23 »
Hi
IMO i wouldn't have Vw do the prep there are plentry of horror stories on various threads regarding swirling scratches etc.
Ask if they are doing it or an outside detailer I'd it's Vw then no I wouldn't.
As for the seats can't really damage them we had it done back in 03 on a ford we bought at the time it's stuff you can buy now stain repellent etc so that for free would be ok. ... hope that helps  :whistle:
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline mezzer123

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2017, 09:14 »
Hi
IMO i wouldn't have Vw do the prep there are plentry of horror stories on various threads regarding swirling scratches etc.

I'll second this, I had mine delivered on the back of a transporter lorry and it was proper dirty, but after following the process of detailing in which there is a great guide here in the detailing section by booth11, you will feel better knowing that there won't be any problems and the your will be done to your own standards.

I remember my dealer asking on numerous occasions if I was sure, because it was the very first time they had had that request, but I'm so glad I did!!!
2016 Golf GTI PP, 5 Doors, Carbon Grey, 19" Santiago's, Leather Seats

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2017, 09:40 »
Tell them to leave well alone!
You'll do a far better job yourself and you will know the car inside out once you've finished.
As mezzer123 mentioned, Booth11 ( Rebecca ) has a great guide to detailing on here, although it requires a fair bit of commitment to see it through :laugh:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2017, 09:42 »
Hi

I'll second this, I had mine delivered on the back of a transporter lorry and it was proper dirty, but after following the process of detailing in which there is a great guide here in the detailing section by booth11, you will feel better knowing that there won't be any problems and the your will be done to your own standards.

I remember my dealer asking on numerous occasions if I was sure, because it was the very first time they had had that request, but I'm so glad I did!!!

If you have a car delivered that filthy dirty, how can you be certain there is no damage to the body/paint? Surely you would need to see the car in its cleaned state and under good light to ensure you are not accepting a non perfect car. The transporter guy's not gonna exactly hang around whilst you get it cleaned is he?

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2017, 09:48 »
As a follow on to my thread on the 'Detailing' page The dealer put on AuoGlym Lifeshine as a part of the deal when I bought the Golf. I had already had this carried out on a Beetle we purchased about 3 years ago and was pleased with the finish. So had no fears about having it applied to our Carbon Grey Golf and to be honest, I am very pleased with the result. No scratches, no swirl marks, so much so I am a bit wary about giving the car a coat of wax just in case I do introduce swirl marks or scratches.
 It appears going by various responses to dealer preparation, that it seems to be a luck of the draw. If you are concerned about the dealer carrying out this preparation, air your concerns and tell them any swirl marks or scratches after this procedure has been applied I will reject the car. I they can't guarantee that. Don't have it done   

Offline juicelow

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2017, 09:55 »
Thanks for the advice everyone.....I'm leaning towards diy, but that's a good question from hayabusa. If the car is not paint prepped and dirty when I take delivery will it still be possible to spot any damage / imperfections?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2017, 10:00 »
Ask the dealership to remove all the transport protection and then hose the car off. You should then be able to see any marks or imperfections. I then drove mine directly to the detailer and he did the full protection.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2017, 10:09 »
I would risk the dealer doing it, but emphasise that they must take good care of it and that you will be checking it very carefully.  If it turns out poorly re-detail it yourself later (or try and get a commitment that they will pay for a pro detail if you're not happy).  I've never really had a problem with dealer prep, as the salesperson has been aware that I'm a VW nut and they have personally kept a close eye on things for me.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2017, 10:57 »
I would think carefully about it.  Whilst some might be better than others, in general dealerships are not renowned for their careful prep and there would be the risk of them sealing in swirls and scratches if the car is poorly prepped, as well as the risk of inflicting swirls during sealant application itself.  Additionally the cost of dealer applied coating is often massively overpriced.

Skipping the dealer prep is a wise move IMO (if you care about such things). If you do decide to go that route, I would suggest you allow them to remove the transport wraps (and a 'no touch' jet wash at most) so they can PDI the car. Some people prefer to have them left on but there's a bigger risk that the dealership will say they couldn't properly PDI the car and probably leave little in the way of come back if there proves to be issues discovered once you've left the dealership.

If the wraps are off then unless the car is filthy, you should be able to make a good assessment and inspection of the car on collection, unless it's raining for instance. If the car is parked in some dark corner, have it moved somewhere you can see in good light. Take your time (within reason) in checking it over and take a small LED torch with you so you can check the paintwork condition for swirls and defects that won't show in normal daylight unless the sun is on the car. Take a checklist with you as it's easy to get caught up in the excitement of picking up a new car and forgetting to check key things.

Plenty on here have collected their cars unprepped and either taken them to a detailer or detailed them themselves (lots of advice on that in the detailing section). I collected mine with transport stickers removed but glue left on and totally unprepped (at my request) and although the car was a bit dirty, it did not hinder inspection and fortunately there were no defects. And whilst not the general norm, many dealerships are not unfamiliar with customers requesting a car to be unprepped.

Good luck with whatever you decide.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 26 March 2017, 11:04 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11