Author Topic: Shell Super, Clubsport S  (Read 5250 times)

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
Re: Shell Super, Clubsport S
« Reply #10 on: 20 March 2017, 13:32 »
You won't generate any more power, engine may run a little cooler, additional additives may help...

It'll generate more power, as evidenced by hundreds of dyno graphs on Golfs and otherwise.  Perhaps you're thinking of the effect of premium diesel?
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 20 March 2017, 13:42 »
You won't generate any more power, engine may run a little cooler, additional additives may help...

It'll generate more power, as evidenced by hundreds of dyno graphs on Golfs and otherwise.  Perhaps you're thinking of the effect of premium diesel?

How much more power, do you have any links to these dyno graphs? I seem to recall Fifth Gear did a piece on this a few moons ago using a MK6 GTI as their guinea pig and the differences weren't much. Not being awkward, just interested :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #12 on: 20 March 2017, 13:49 »

How much more power, do you have any links to these dyno graphs? I seem to recall Fifth Gear did a piece on this a few moons ago using a MK6 GTI as their guinea pig and the differences weren't much. Not being awkward, just interested :smiley:
I saw the same episode very recently. I'll stick to the cheaper stuff, petrol is expensive enough as it is.
I'm sure plenty of people would disagree and would sooner use the expensive option but I'm not overly convinced of the added benefits.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 20 March 2017, 13:58 »

I saw the same episode very recently. I'll stick to the cheaper stuff, petrol is expensive enough as it is.
I'm sure plenty of people would disagree and would sooner use the expensive option but I'm not overly convinced of the added benefits.

That's what I think, nothing wrong in having the choice and perhaps the expensive stuff does keep the engine a bit cleaner but will it make any difference during the years of my ownership? Unlikely.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 20 March 2017, 14:05 »

The problem with the 5th gear test was that they didn't run the car for a few tank fills. All they did was drain the system and put other fuel in and run it on the dyno again.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 20 March 2017, 16:20 »
One here that was just one the first links on Google:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/159631-95-vs-99-octane-dyno-graph.html

APR have multiple dyno graphs on their website showing all sorts of stages of tune vs different octane ratings.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 20 March 2017, 17:22 »
Ahh the old fuel debate....have a look in the owners manual. I would imagine it's the same as the R, if you don't use 97RON or higher the car will dial back the ignition so you won't make the published power output. Use 97 or higher and you will.

Tuned cars are a different kettle of fish entirely as they can have the limits pushed right out if you use VPower or Tesco 99 for example. It gets harder to use normal unleaded if you get stuck then though.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 20 March 2017, 18:24 »
I currently own a Corsa VXR and have ran super in it since day 1. I believe that it is better for the engine and any performance or mpg increases are a bonus.

This is VW's opinion:

"For most vehicles standard unleaded is fine (95RON) but for GTI and 'R we recommend super unleaded (98RON)"

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 20 March 2017, 18:43 »
 :angry:
I currently own a Corsa VXR and have ran super in it since day 1. I believe that it is better for the engine and any performance or mpg increases are a bonus.

This is VW's opinion:

"For most vehicles standard unleaded is fine (95RON) but for GTI and 'R we recommend super unleaded (98RON)"

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel

Thanks for posting that, maybe I'll give it some thought then but if I do I'll probably try the Tesco Momentum.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

mattwilko92

« Reply #19 on: 21 March 2017, 07:58 »
I personally think it's worth it for the higher octane level alone. The engines are designed to run on 97+ as stated by VW, so why wouldn't you use that? If they say put 30psi in the tyres you wouldn't put 27psi in would you.