Author Topic: Clubsport S on new series of Top Gear THIS SUNDAY, WOO HOO!!  (Read 10783 times)

Offline Margy

• Not said much yet
Re: Clubsport S on new series of Top Gear THIS SUNDAY, WOO HOO!!
« Reply #50 on: 23 March 2017, 16:24 »
What's happened to good old R400 over at roc? I miss the chap!
Tornado red PP, Santiagos, DCC, winter pack.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 23 March 2017, 16:45 »
What's happened to good old R400 over at roc? I miss the chap!

He got perma-banned for something fairly trivial in the end. He was trolling and winding people up for 2 years and then suddenly got hit with the ban hammer.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline volkswizard

• Here all the time
« Reply #52 on: 23 March 2017, 19:19 »
I find it quite fascinating how "normal" drivers critique a racing driver with Sabine's pedigree - most of us would be crying for our mummy's if Sabine took us round the ring or indeed any racetrack in her GT3 RS yet when one of the best drivers in the World of media and racing goes round the Nord"ffe in a car that we love and was specifically designed for that track that is as fast as an old GT3 we say it's all rubbish. Top Gear has been stretching the truth for at least 10 years ... we take it with a pinch of salt! But still the truth remains that she would easily Best any of these cars with the likes of you and me driving, sure if Sabine was driving the RS she would probably Best anyone in the World on that track but she was driving the legendary Clubsport S ... a humble golf that can mix it with the big boys at 4 times the price, hence the idea behind the whole VT ... just like ECOTY the CS-S has been praised as one of the best sports cars in its price bracket of the last decade and in many ways any price bracket. Would I swap my GT4 for my Clubsport S ... of course not, as it was actually an ECOTY Champion but in many ways the CS-S carries similar DNA and is a true "go kart" as Sabine says. For anyone looking for cheap GT Porsche like ownership the CS-S has that same feeling of ownership at a third of the price, which is and was exactly the design brief 🎯👍

Dude, there is no doubt that the CS-S is a really good track car - but as a daily it falls woefully short (no back seats, armrest etc etc) - and to call it legendary is pushing the boundaries of sanity a little too far.  No one in their right mind would have one over any Porsche if money was no object, there is no comparison, regardless of how quick it can go round the ring (because it's been basically stripped to save weight).  Come on, it's getting a little bit fanboy in here!  You are starting to sound like R400 on the R forum who thinks the R is the quickest car the world has ever seen  :laugh:

Fanboy ... I would disagree regarding the "daily" ... as many are "daily drivers" on this site! RFL at £180 and Ins at £230 and 35Mpg i would say thats a perfectly acceptable daily, but i do accept that if you want 4 doors its not a daily and/or back seats, so this point is purely subjective!

Regarding its "Legendary status" that context is based on Price ... I have a GT4 and a new GT3 allocation so am familiar with Cost Versus ownership enjoyment and as i said, would not swap my GT Porsche for a CS-S but the cheapest you will find a well specced GT4 is nearly 3 times the Clubsport Price, so as i said many times i think its a good car and a great substitute for a GT car but on a more stringent budget. What do you want me to say about the car ...? Its got no back seats and can't get the kids in so therefore its rubbish and therefore its not a feasible Golf ... this is crazy! Its a stripped out 40th Birthday present to Gti owners around the World and its a cracking little car ... as i am sure the R is or the normal Clubsport but i can't comment rightfully on these cars as i have never owned one ...!

I believe by the nature of the limited build this has naturally created a split decision amongst owners and enthusiasts ... I have not once criticised any Golf as they are a phenomenally successful little car and in any of its forms and functions does a great job as either a 4 door diesel chugger or a Gti sports car or a 4WD Winter daily or as a Track and B road blaster ...

So lets get back to the thread and comment on the little "Go-Kart" ....  :kiss:

I wouldn't waste the CSS on daily drudgery but it is a perfectly usable car for a daily, there are plenty of cars that only have 2 seats that people use daily and they rarely have such a big boot as the CSS (i.e. TT Roadster (diesel if you must), SLK (again diesel), Cayman, Boxster, BMW Z4 etc etc).  As for needing an armrest to be capable of being a daily that is a very subjective choice.

The only caveat is the Cup 2 tyres which are marginal in winter at best but then again in Germany by law you have to run winter tyres on each and every car and it's sensible here too.

I've had a Golf R and it's a great car but it's not even worth comparing it to a CSS as the philosophy behind them is so different.  As a weekend car to savour every moment driving the CSS is absolutely unbelievable, the Golf R is no doubt a more rounded proposition but I don't want that, I want a more visceral, exciting experience and I can't believe I am getting that from a car with a VW badge on the front of it  :laugh:

People may mock ECOTY but surely the fact that so few VWs and even Audis have made it to the shortlist says something about the CSS?  I don't think daily usability was high on there priorities though so if that is high on yours you might be better off with What Car?

Isn't it funny, someone being called a fanboy about a GTI on a GTI forum..

« Last Edit: 23 March 2017, 20:59 by volkswizard »

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #53 on: 23 March 2017, 23:18 »
I find it quite fascinating how "normal" drivers critique a racing driver with Sabine's pedigree - most of us would be crying for our mummy's if Sabine took us round the ring or indeed any racetrack in her GT3 RS yet when one of the best drivers in the World of media and racing goes round the Nord"ffe in a car that we love and was specifically designed for that track that is as fast as an old GT3 we say it's all rubbish. Top Gear has been stretching the truth for at least 10 years ... we take it with a pinch of salt! But still the truth remains that she would easily Best any of these cars with the likes of you and me driving, sure if Sabine was driving the RS she would probably Best anyone in the World on that track but she was driving the legendary Clubsport S ... a humble golf that can mix it with the big boys at 4 times the price, hence the idea behind the whole VT ... just like ECOTY the CS-S has been praised as one of the best sports cars in its price bracket of the last decade and in many ways any price bracket. Would I swap my GT4 for my Clubsport S ... of course not, as it was actually an ECOTY Champion but in many ways the CS-S carries similar DNA and is a true "go kart" as Sabine says. For anyone looking for cheap GT Porsche like ownership the CS-S has that same feeling of ownership at a third of the price, which is and was exactly the design brief 🎯👍

Dude, there is no doubt that the CS-S is a really good track car - but as a daily it falls woefully short (no back seats, armrest etc etc) - and to call it legendary is pushing the boundaries of sanity a little too far.  No one in their right mind would have one over any Porsche if money was no object, there is no comparison, regardless of how quick it can go round the ring (because it's been basically stripped to save weight).  Come on, it's getting a little bit fanboy in here!  You are starting to sound like R400 on the R forum who thinks the R is the quickest car the world has ever seen  :laugh:

Fanboy ... I would disagree regarding the "daily" ... as many are "daily drivers" on this site! RFL at £180 and Ins at £230 and 35Mpg i would say thats a perfectly acceptable daily, but i do accept that if you want 4 doors its not a daily and/or back seats, so this point is purely subjective!

Regarding its "Legendary status" that context is based on Price ... I have a GT4 and a new GT3 allocation so am familiar with Cost Versus ownership enjoyment and as i said, would not swap my GT Porsche for a CS-S but the cheapest you will find a well specced GT4 is nearly 3 times the Clubsport Price, so as i said many times i think its a good car and a great substitute for a GT car but on a more stringent budget. What do you want me to say about the car ...? Its got no back seats and can't get the kids in so therefore its rubbish and therefore its not a feasible Golf ... this is crazy! Its a stripped out 40th Birthday present to Gti owners around the World and its a cracking little car ... as i am sure the R is or the normal Clubsport but i can't comment rightfully on these cars as i have never owned one ...!

I believe by the nature of the limited build this has naturally created a split decision amongst owners and enthusiasts ... I have not once criticised any Golf as they are a phenomenally successful little car and in any of its forms and functions does a great job as either a 4 door diesel chugger or a Gti sports car or a 4WD Winter daily or as a Track and B road blaster ...

So lets get back to the thread and comment on the little "Go-Kart" ....  :kiss:

I wouldn't waste the CSS on daily drudgery but it is a perfectly usable car for a daily, there are plenty of cars that only have 2 seats that people use daily and they rarely have such a big boot as the CSS (i.e. TT Roadster (diesel if you must), SLK (again diesel), Cayman, Boxster, BMW Z4 etc etc).  As for needing an armrest to be capable of being a daily that is a very subjective choice.

The only caveat is the Cup 2 tyres which are marginal in winter at best but then again in Germany by law you have to run winter tyres on each and every car and it's sensible here too.

I've had a Golf R and it's a great car but it's not even worth comparing it to a CSS as the philosophy behind them is so different.  As a weekend car to savour every moment driving the CSS is absolutely unbelievable, the Golf R is no doubt a more rounded proposition but I don't want that, I want a more visceral, exciting experience and I can't believe I am getting that from a car with a VW badge on the front of it  :laugh:

People may mock ECOTY but surely the fact that so few VWs and even Audis have made it to the shortlist says something about the CSS?  I don't think daily usability was high on there priorities though so if that is high on yours you might be better off with What Car?

Isn't it funny, someone being called a fanboy about a GTI on a GTI forum..

If I was lucky enough to have a CSS all on here would know the meaning of 'fanboy'  :whistle:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline vipergts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #54 on: 24 March 2017, 15:55 »
Not sure why people honk about the S not being an every day car because it only has 2 seats FFS

Unless you need it as a family car it's easily an everyday car....why not?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #55 on: 24 March 2017, 16:14 »
If I wanted an impractical high performance form of motorised transport, I'd spend (a lot less) money on (another) motorbike :)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Ooosh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #56 on: 24 March 2017, 19:36 »
The CSS is a perfect daily for me. I only want two doors and I rarely carry anyone in the front passenger seat so zero requirement for rear seats. My suitcase fits in the spare wheel well and does not roll around. The car is almost invisible on the road so I can nip about without attracting any attention. It's almost free to run when you take depreciation into account, it is a delight to drive and puts a massive smile on my face.

How could it possibly be a better daily driver? (For me!)

My point it is - everyone has different requirements. I remember all the same arguments about the R26R. I enjoyed mine for 4 years and wish I never sold it even now. I will not be selling the CSS.
CSS + McLaren 570S + Saxdor 200 + Christen Eagle