Author Topic: Clubsport S on new series of Top Gear THIS SUNDAY, WOO HOO!!  (Read 10773 times)

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular
Re: Clubsport S on new series of Top Gear THIS SUNDAY, WOO HOO!!
« Reply #20 on: 21 March 2017, 09:15 »
They said at the start that it was a normal "pay as you go" day, so most of the other cars will have been on their first or second laps, maybe a few more. None of the drivers will have been round the thousands of times Sabine has and they all, at least tried, to observe the rules about faster cars approaching from behind.

The thing to take from the "test" is that she thought the CSS was easy to drive, like a go kart - and she was quick! The £1.2m worth of supercar thing was just poking fun. It was Sabine that did that, and she could do it all day long.
+1 Just to add, Sabrine was driving a VW press car. I suspect that all the other drivers were driving their own vehicles and perhaps taking a little bit more care of their machinery. Also I suspect there could have been some meeting before the 'race', that the BBC were filming and they would be most appreciative that other drivers would move out of the way? Just a thought

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 21 March 2017, 10:13 »
Am I correct in saying that not only was it a press car, but it is the only (or at least one of very few) carbon grey Clubsport S's?
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 21 March 2017, 10:21 »
Am I correct in saying that not only was it a press car, but it is the only (or at least one of very few) carbon grey Clubsport S's?

Yes, I believe it is. Thought it looked great in Carbon Grey.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline volkswizard

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 21 March 2017, 11:27 »
They said at the start that it was a normal "pay as you go" day

I haven't watched it all again just to check this but when they cut to the 'ring Paddock, Rory says "this is a typical German track day" which is not "pay as you go" touristenfahrten (tourist driving).

The marshall in the barrier is just waving people through which doesn't happen on a tourist day as drivers have to put tickets into the slot.

Plus if you've been to a tourist day you will notice that there are far too few crap or even average cars in the paddock shots, many (but not all) people with good sense and good cars  only drive the 'ring when it's a closed track day and the standard of driving is higher.

I agree I think it was a bit false and someone like Chris Harris will be hating all that seeing as he is a hardened factual car journalist primarily but as entertainment for the masses goes it was perfect as everyone keeps on telling me.  I even told my 85 year old mum to watch it!

The real less exciting point of the film should have been a far less sensational message that an average driver will be able to drive the 'ring quicker in a CSS than a Lambo or 911 or probably even an M3 because it's a narrow bumpy circuit more suited to a powerful hot hatch for anyone other than expert drivers.

Imagine the complexities of trying to turn this into a film and you can see why it morphed into such a factually dubious but enjoyable nonetheless bit of TV.

However as a GTI owner for the last 21 years it heartens me to see the GTI getting such praise on a TV programme with such a massive global audience which can only mean good things for the future of the GTI in what is a very uncertain motor industry and that can only be good for anyone who is a member of this forum.

If you remember the bad old GTI days from 1992-2004 seeing the GTI back at the top of the tree is even more poignant, WELL DONE VW!

« Last Edit: 21 March 2017, 11:31 by volkswizard »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #24 on: 21 March 2017, 13:43 »
^^^I think you are right.

It's good news for VW in a wider sense too, after all the negative press, for something as big as Top Gear only talking positives (albeit about a car that was limited production and sold out long before they talked about it!). On the other hand, who actually needs to be told that Golf is the best hot hatch? Not just us here, but every group test will tell you the same. Any haters are probably driving something else :D

BTW, I rather like the new TG. Its got much more "car stuff" and whilst still is funny, I think they've lowered the stupid content to just select pieces (eg pressure washers or muck spreaders). I even like Star in a Reasonably Fast Car, whereas before I used to fast forward through the old one.

Harris is definitely why I am enjoying it more, he brings some serious gravitas to the show.

It works for me, long may it continue.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 21 March 2017, 13:56 »
^^^I think you are right.

It's good news for VW in a wider sense too, after all the negative press, for something as big as Top Gear only talking positives (albeit about a car that was limited production and sold out long before they talked about it!). On the other hand, who actually needs to be told that Golf is the best hot hatch? Not just us here, but every group test will tell you the same. Any haters are probably driving something else :D

BTW, I rather like the new TG. Its got much more "car stuff" and whilst still is funny, I think they've lowered the stupid content to just select pieces (eg pressure washers or muck spreaders). I even like Star in a Reasonably Fast Car, whereas before I used to fast forward through the old one.

Harris is definitely why I am enjoying it more, he brings some serious gravitas to the show.

It works for me, long may it continue.

That's two out of two last posts I agree with you on. Personally I would of rathered Chris Harris have tested the CCS on his own and on road here in the U.K. and maybe a track like Cadwell
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 21 March 2017, 14:06 »
They said at the start that it was a normal "pay as you go" day

I haven't watched it all again just to check this but when they cut to the 'ring Paddock, Rory says "this is a typical German track day" which is not "pay as you go" touristenfahrten (tourist driving).

The marshall in the barrier is just waving people through which doesn't happen on a tourist day as drivers have to put tickets into the slot.

Plus if you've been to a tourist day you will notice that there are far too few crap or even average cars in the paddock shots, many (but not all) people with good sense and good cars  only drive the 'ring when it's a closed track day and the standard of driving is higher.

I agree I think it was a bit false and someone like Chris Harris will be hating all that seeing as he is a hardened factual car journalist primarily but as entertainment for the masses goes it was perfect as everyone keeps on telling me.  I even told my 85 year old mum to watch it!

The real less exciting point of the film should have been a far less sensational message that an average driver will be able to drive the 'ring quicker in a CSS than a Lambo or 911 or probably even an M3 because it's a narrow bumpy circuit more suited to a powerful hot hatch for anyone other than expert drivers.

Imagine the complexities of trying to turn this into a film and you can see why it morphed into such a factually dubious but enjoyable nonetheless bit of TV.

However as a GTI owner for the last 21 years it heartens me to see the GTI getting such praise on a TV programme with such a massive global audience which can only mean good things for the future of the GTI in what is a very uncertain motor industry and that can only be good for anyone who is a member of this forum.

If you remember the bad old GTI days from 1992-2004 seeing the GTI back at the top of the tree is even more poignant, WELL DONE VW!

OK, happy to be corrected by experience. No, I haven't been, but a friend of mine went round on his bike. less said about that, the better, but suffice to say that he went off at one corner and ended up back on the track further round! He loved it, but it could have been disaster!

Despite what you say, the other cars circulating are not being seriously driven - maybe they were tourists who got a free lap for behaving while the BBC were filming.

Agree that the CSS is important for the brand. It proves that, while VW are not in the game of chasing power, or hard core handling, at the expense of everyday practicality or comfort for their mainstream cars, they could beat all comers, if they so wished, and with a more accomplished car.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline GT4

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 22 March 2017, 11:02 »
The point being that in the right hands ... e.g. Sabine - the CSS is as good a performance car as anything. This sentiment resonated at ECOTY where the Clubsport S was quoted to be on a twisty road as fast as any car on the test including Lambo's / R8's / McLaren ... hence its runner up placing to the best sports car in the world the 911R ... this unanimous opinion that the CS-S is an incredible Point to point B road and track day car is exactly the publicity VW were looking for when building and designing the Clubsport S as a 40th birthday present, which all bodes well for the lucky owners 👍

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 22 March 2017, 12:13 »
The point being that in the right hands ... e.g. Sabine - the CSS is as good a performance car as anything.

Except no one in the world is as good around the N'ring as Sabine - no one.  So the "test" was massively skewed and a load of old tosh to be honest.  Plus the cars she "passed" were clearly slowing down and not trying in any way.

But, as someone pointed out earlier, good press for a Golf means hopefully VW will continue making fast Golfs to the same quality in the future - which benefits us all.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 22 March 2017, 12:33 »
The point being that in the right hands ... e.g. Sabine - the CSS is as good a performance car as anything.

Except no one in the world is as good around the N'ring as Sabine - no one.  So the "test" was massively skewed and a load of old tosh to be honest.  Plus the cars she "passed" were clearly slowing down and not trying in any way.

But, as someone pointed out earlier, good press for a Golf means hopefully VW will continue making fast Golfs to the same quality in the future - which benefits us all.

Not arguing but I seen her racing in the WTCC a few years ago around the old ring and she must have been having a bad day because from memory she wasn't that good. Not saying she isn't a fantastic driver but she's not the best.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17