Author Topic: Aftermarket alloys  (Read 1005 times)

Offline tictap

• Not said much yet
Aftermarket alloys
« on: 19 February 2017, 15:55 »
A couple of my austins require a refurb, looking on ebay this afternoon i spotted these which are quite local to me http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-2016-GOLF-GTI-CLUBSPORT-STYLE-ALLOY-WHEELS-FIT-VW-GOLF-MK5-6-7-JETTA-/222269480788?fits=Model%3AGolf%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+VII&hash=item33c04b1f54:g:o-0AAOSwOyJX8VsP

For the price of a refurb i could have these, anyone bought similar? for £400 not sure whether i should just bite the bullet and give them a try.
MK7 GTI, Keyless, Pano Roof, Discover Pro, Dynaudio, Leather Interior, Winter Pack, Performance Pack

Online Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Aftermarket alloys
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2017, 16:11 »
I think 2 wheel refurbs will be quite a lot cheaper than those plus what's the quality going to be like? I'd either stick with the originals or if going new, spend more and buy some from a reputable brand. Or look at some secondhand ones, a few good sets for sale in the classifieds on here.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2017, 16:53 »
Many of the cheaper replicas can have issues with poor structural integrity (e.g. more prone to buckling than OEM wheels if you hit a pothole), and poor quality finish. Bearing in mind one genuine VW brand new Austin wheel would cost more than the complete set of four Clubsport replicas in the eBay advert, I think that says something about the likely quality of the replicas you're considering.

Agree with Watts. Either get the two Austins refurbished, get some genuine VW replacements (new or used) or buy a reputable brand such as BBS, Oz, ATS.

If you'd like a change from diamond cut alloys, how about VW Rotarys? I replaced the factory fit diamond cut alloys on my mk6 GTD with these (pictures at Reply #2 in this thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=275040.msg2515127#msg2515127). The Rotarys are in the accessories section of the VW website and IMO they look really good on the mk7 Golf. Forum member wigit has had these on his mk7.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline RDC

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2017, 17:15 »
sorry wrong thread