Author Topic: New GTI DSG... my thoughts  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Darlo

• GTI forum regular
New GTI DSG... my thoughts
« on: 19 February 2017, 11:57 »
Well I'm 1500 miles in to my new GTI dsg and I thought I would post my thoughts.

Here is a little background.

I ended up with the car with a cheap lease deal. £2400 down and £107 a month. My Mrs is pregnant so decided to sell my 2013 S3 3dr as felt it wouldnt be practical. I absolutely loved my s3, had all the toys and 375bhp thanks to a DTUK tuning box.

My Mrs has a 5dr GTD manual in red which she also got on a cheap lease, £144 a month.

Prior to my S3 I had another mk7 GTI with a manual gearbox, I owned this car from new. Again DTUK box installed. Loved the car then but S3 was always on my wish list and being a petrol head I decided to change. A Golf R was my first choice but VW couldn't get near Audi finance deal. I test drove a dsg Golf R a couple of years ago and loved it.

I've owned about 20 cars, mostly performance stuff both in auto & manual.

Now to the current GTI.... in short I'm quite disappointed. I'm not a fan of the DSG box at all. The only time I enjoy it is when I'm driving enthusiastically which lets face it isn't very often.

I'm finding it really indecisive when just driving around normally. It's seems to be going up and down the lower gears unnecessarily. I have the car in sport mode and the the gearbox in D. When I put the gear box in S mode it then feels the need to redline! I also can't seem to get a smooth take off!

I am trying to regulate my throttle input to avoid these gear changes but can't seem to master it at all.

Yes I know.... I should have test drive a GTI DSG prior to ordering but it was all very rushed and I suppose i didn't want to end up with an identical GTI.

On a positive note, I love the added spec you get now although the sat nav isn't a patch on the Audi system.

I have now started using the GTD and enjoying the manual gearbox despite the reduced power.

Funny thing is my Mrs is a petrol head, driven all sorts, s3's, gti's, golf r, Subaru's etc and she really likes the GTI with the dsg box. So much so we have pretty much swapped cars now. I only take GTI when I hit the traffic on my way on certain shifts.... one good thing about autos'!

Really annoying thing is if I gone with the manual I would have save myself £15 a month ha ha!

I suppose the best advice is test drive before ordering! I read about the dsg box and thought I would be happy with.... unfortunately that is the case.

We have just extended the GTD for another 12 months and only had GTI a couple of months in to two year deal so it will be a while before we change.

One bonus is we are paying less for two golfs than we were for one S3!

We have already discussed the GTD's replacement and it's most likely to be a Golf R or another S3 in a sportback.

If you lot have any advice on DSG box I'm all ears.

One thing I love about the DSG is the noise on up shift.... so immature I know!

Cheers

Darlo

Offline TweedsideR

• Not said much yet
Re: New GTI DSG... my thoughts
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2017, 12:36 »
I know this is on the Golf R forum, but the box is the same. Lots of good information here:
/http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/11881-understanding-and-using-your-dsg-box

Offline falconmick

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf MK7 R
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2017, 12:47 »
I'm on my 2nd MK7 R, first was manual, now on DSG. Have same issues with you with the DSG, have been improved by fitting DTUK Pedalbox, but having owned the two, I would go back to manual. I am an  experienced professionally trained driver so like to think I know what I'm talking about.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2017, 13:42 »
I hope you don't mean bus or truck driver!!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2017, 14:12 »
When I got my DSG, I had exactly the same problems with it as you, Darlo, so much so that I was using the paddles most of the time, just to stop the, seemingly, constant changes. Now, 11 months and 9K miles in, I only use the paddles when the driving gets serious and usually just enjoy the way the gearbox looks after itself. Whether this is down to me getting used to the 'box, or the 'box adapting to my style of driving, I don't know, but I can now keep the car smooth, and in the correct gear, just by careful use of the throttle. Like you, I have the car mode set to Sport and use the gearbox in "D".

All I can suggest is that you don't give up, but keep trying to impose your will on the thing. I think it's worth it!   :wink:
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2017, 16:20 »
Have you tried selecting Normal instead of Sport through the infotainment system. I found the same as you that if you are in the Sport selection and in ' S' or 'D' it changes gear all the time, no good for steady driving. I found Normal mode and in 'D' is more suitable for me.

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2017, 19:51 »
In terms of my usage of DSG

Only tend to use D around town up to about 30 given how it loves to change up

When I am at roundabouts always use S given how D behaves

All the other time use it in manual mode as S hangs on a gear for grim death

Took me couple of months to master it

Adaptive cruise works so well with the DSG

Offline Bullfinch

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2017, 19:52 »
Stick with it.  DSG does get better with use.  I was like you when I first got my GTi PP with DSG and wondering why it seemed to shift all the time.  In the end you have to train your right foot to only make small-ish movements and then it becomes far more smooth and intuitive.  I stick my car in Sport and D.  In Normal the steering seemed a bit vague. 
Daily: Mk7.5 GTi PP DSG, Weekend: 911 997 Gen 2 Carrera 4S

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2017, 12:32 »
The sooner they redesign the DSG box with three settings the better:

Current D - to become 'E' (ecconomy mode)

A new midway setting with gear change points set half way between the current S and D settings: D

S: Sport remains as is.

In the meantime just stop looking at the gear change indicator - few other brands of car have that and just say D so you don't really know what gear has been selected.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2017, 13:20 »
In terms of my usage of DSG

Only tend to use D around town up to about 30 given how it loves to change up

When I am at roundabouts always use S given how D behaves

All the other time use it in manual mode as S hangs on a gear for grim death

Took me couple of months to master it

Adaptive cruise works so well with the DSG

The sooner they redesign the DSG box with three settings the better:

Current D - to become 'E' (ecconomy mode)

A new midway setting with gear change points set half way between the current S and D settings: D

S: Sport remains as is.

In the meantime just stop looking at the gear change indicator - few other brands of car have that and just say D so you don't really know what gear has been selected.

Agree with all of that  :smiley: