Author Topic: Art Velours Trim  (Read 10696 times)

Offline MEZZA

• Not said much yet
Art Velours Trim
« on: 18 February 2017, 22:58 »
Just wondering what people's opinions are of this trim option on the facelift GTi ? - ignoring the £750.00 cost,I quite
like it - in my case having had a MK5 GTi and then my current MK 6 GTi,both with the tartan cloth,I quite fancy something different next time and this looks good imo - I know tartan is the GTi trademark but I'm definitely attracted to this - (some good photo's on the german vw site)

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
Re: Art Velours Trim
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2017, 23:26 »
Not for me.I'd rather spend £350 on the heated front screen.Now free of the shackles of advanced telephone prep i notice. :cool:
Rest of the cash on beer.
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2017, 02:32 »
I'm not a big fan of red tartan. Therefore, I like the Art option. If I was drawn towards one of the more mature (classy, neutral, plain, boring) colours then I would pick Art. However, maybe because of all the promo reviews - I like red. So I'll save £290 on paint and £750 on seats  :cool:

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2017, 08:19 »
Not for me.I'd rather spend £350 on the heated front screen.Now free of the shackles of advanced telephone prep i notice. :cool:
Rest of the cash on beer.

Oh, good spot. Heated screens are great - had one on an XR3 (!) yonks ago. Having said that, my Mk7's is pretty good at clearing with just air.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2017, 11:32 »
Just wondering what people's opinions are of this trim option on the facelift GTi ? - ignoring the £750.00 cost,I quite
like it - in my case having had a MK5 GTi and then my current MK 6 GTi,both with the tartan cloth,I quite fancy something different next time and this looks good imo - I know tartan is the GTi trademark but I'm definitely attracted to this - (some good photo's on the german vw site)

I don't think you can actually ignore the £750 cost as it's quite a lot of money to most people.
However I do see your point and in many ways agree with you.
The red tartan has become ubiquitous since the mk5 GTI (yes vaguely similar patterns were used on mk1's and mk2's for a time but neither design was popular in its day really) and I do like the way the red tartan adds a bit of classic character and brightens up a typically German shades of black interior.
But the Art Velours is also something that's not completely new to GTI's as the Pirelli edition had embossed seats and the ED35 had it as an option for many markets, plus there were a good few Worthersee GTI specials that had embossed honeycomb patterns in the interior fabric. Therefore the pattern is quite acceptable for GTI purists (and even the puerile).

So if you can actually ignore the £750 you'll never see again it's a very nice choice.

You can buy a perfectly good sofa from DFS for £400 I expect, but if you'd rather have something else in your lounge to impress your mother in law, you'd probably quite happily pay a good few hundred quid extra for something remarkably similar with a different cover and a more fashionable label on it; and whether you've paid £400 or £1400 the chances are it'll end up in a skip or donated to a charity shop once you've changed your wallpaper in a few years time...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2017, 12:36 »
Looks nice but I'd want to see it first though before blowing £750 on it. But personally, I'd also save the money and stick to tartan, it's one of the main features that make the interior special. The Parker alloys look good too.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline MEZZA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2017, 13:59 »
I suppose what I meant was,if it was a no cost option,how many people would choose it over the tartan ? - just curious - I agree,it's a lot of money as it stands and I would also like to see it first - even if I liked it I would find it
hard to justify the extra cost.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2017, 14:47 »
I'd go for tartan.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2017, 14:52 »
I'll reserve judgement until I've seen one in the flesh.

I can remember a huge fuss on the R forum over the shade of grey on the side bolsters and in reality the shade was actually quite nice and the alcantara was very grippy on cornering.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2017, 12:28 »
Does anyone have any more info on these seats - seen a few youtube vids (Golf GTI at Geneva) and it looks like they have (fake) leather sides/backs and armrest?

Is the velour similar to alcantara? My 09 mk6 GT had alcantara centres/cloth sides and those have been the nicest seats I've had.