Author Topic: Speed Cameras!! Best Detector?  (Read 8937 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Speed Cameras!! Best Detector?
« Reply #20 on: 21 February 2017, 20:28 »
Just got the Pocket GPS World Speed Camera POI database loaded via Car-Net. Enabled the POI's on the map and toggled alarm to sound for "My POI's"

Just for others, the alert sound is only on mib2 (maybe 3 too). On mib1 you only get them marked on the map
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 21 February 2017, 20:54 »
Just got the Pocket GPS World Speed Camera POI database loaded via Car-Net. Enabled the POI's on the map and toggled alarm to sound for "My POI's"

Just for others, the alert sound is only on mib2 (maybe 3 too). On mib1 you only get them marked on the map

Yes, thanks Fred, I did see that mentioned somewhere.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 23 February 2017, 22:25 »
I've found Waze on your phone invaluable for areas you don't know.
Its users add the camera vans / traps when they see them so its all done in real time.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 26 February 2017, 23:16 »

Well, my first trip showed up a couple of problems with the Camera POIs. The first was no sound, despite having the correct setting. The second was more serious, in that some camera positions that I know were not shown. I have since reloaded the database and these cameras can be found on the map by pulling it across on the touch screen, but whether they will show up when driving by remains to be seen.

I have loaded the database using Car-net. Another method is to use the German Nav tool website, which converts the database, as well as giving the option for an alarm to sound. You then download the result onto an SD card and upload it to the car. I have yet to get anything to load from the SD card, so I am stuck with using the Car-net method.

Persevering, as I think it will be a good system to have, if I can make it work as it should. I'm wondering if the various different manufacturers of the Nav units have any differences in the way they work?

Yes, thanks Fred, I did see that mentioned somewhere.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #24 on: 10 August 2017, 12:58 »
Just got the Pocket GPS World Speed Camera POI database loaded via Car-Net. Enabled the POI's on the map and toggled alarm to sound for "My POI's", so will report back on how well that works. Cost me £19.99 for a year of weekly updated camera positions, so not much lost if it fails! Visual map check shows that the ones I know round here are shown. So far, so good.  :wink:

Realise this is quite an old post but just wondering where the setting is for the alarm sound on My POI's?

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 10 August 2017, 13:01 »
Waze hands down, best for this.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 10 August 2017, 15:37 »
I am a great believer in belt and braces and a bit of string.

I have the PGPS database loaded on the MIB2 (the piece of string as it does not give loud enough or earlier enough warnings), a separate Cheetah GPS camera detector with audible warning set at 80mph and a Snooper4ZeroElitePlus GPS, Laser and Radar detector with warning set at 60mph.

Each dedicated detector uses a different database and both have lifetime updates included in the purchase price.  The Snooper is supposed to have detection up to 1 mile for Radar and Laser – apparently it is supposed to pick up Laser scatter from when the gun is used to check cars in front of you – I do not know if it works as described as I have yet to come across a working Laser based site, I know of several local such sites but they have never been in use when I have passed them by.

This is not because I am a dedicated speeder but as others have said attention can wander at times especially if you are concentrating on the road and not the speedo and if you are on a road less travelled it can be easy to miss a speed sign, especially in summer in the country when hedge growth obscures the signs – there are several sign I know round here that are currently totally obscured – and I prefer country routes to main roads.
2015 R DSG. Limestone Grey, DCC, Winter Pack, Tech Pack, Reversing Camera    plus   2013 Mk7 GTi DSG - Performance, Navigation, Winter Pack, DCC, Park Assist,

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #27 on: 10 August 2017, 15:39 »
I am a great believer in belt and braces and a bit of string.

I have the PGPS database loaded on the MIB2 (the piece of string as it does not give loud enough or earlier enough warnings), a separate Cheetah GPS camera detector with audible warning set at 80mph and a Snooper4ZeroElitePlus GPS, Laser and Radar detector with warning set at 60mph.

Each dedicated detector uses a different database and both have lifetime updates included in the purchase price.  The Snooper is supposed to have detection up to 1 mile for Radar and Laser – apparently it is supposed to pick up Laser scatter from when the gun is used to check cars in front of you – I do not know if it works as described as I have yet to come across a working Laser based site, I know of several local such sites but they have never been in use when I have passed them by.

This is not because I am a dedicated speeder but as others have said attention can wander at times especially if you are concentrating on the road and not the speedo and if you are on a road less travelled it can be easy to miss a speed sign, especially in summer in the country when hedge growth obscures the signs – there are several sign I know round here that are currently totally obscured – and I prefer country routes to main roads.

I can't get it to alert me when adding the speed camera POI via Car-net. I'll try to add it via the SD card and see if that works. Bit more of a faff though!

Offline MrE

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 11 August 2017, 12:11 »
Use Waze on your mobile (android or iOS). Its the best satnav out there by far (imho), free and updates interactively with other users reporting mobile cams e.t.c.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #29 on: 11 August 2017, 13:50 »
Waze is now available through Android Auto too... job done!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC