Author Topic: Want to buy a GOLF GTI Mk6 - Advice please.  (Read 9552 times)

Offline VWayne

• Not said much yet
Want to buy a GOLF GTI Mk6 - Advice please.
« on: 17 February 2017, 18:38 »
Hi, to get straight to the point im interested in buying a golf GTI.

I currently have a 2009 Golf 1.4 TSI but ive always wanted a GTI.  Now with me turning 26 and having 5 years NCB im getting alright insurance quotes so i think this is the year i get my hands on one :)

I'm worried after reading the horror stories about the timing chain?

Anyone on here NOT had problems?
Should i take out some sort of warranty?

How much should i be looking to spend? I only want to spend around £9000 but i could spend more if needed for the right year & mileage

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
Re: Want to buy a GOLF GTI Mk6 - Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2017, 16:55 »
Zero problems from mine and I've had it 4.5 years(from new)
If you can, get a 2011 or newer and there shouldn't be any major concerns
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2017, 16:56 »
Sorry, and welcome
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2017, 20:07 »
To be honest, you would be extremely unlucky to get a problem with the timing chain tensioner. Yes - there are instances of failure but in the general scheme of things, most owners will not have had any issues at all.

As this problem has been bought out into the open, it makes it sound worse than it really is.
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline Phongy

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2017, 14:49 »
Mine's a 2010 plate, 35k mileage, remapped and has been absolutely flawless for the last 2 years.

Offline VWayne

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2017, 15:14 »
Thanks for the replies, i'm going to start looking in a few weeks.

What would i be expecting to pay for a (5 Door - 2009/10 White Manual 50-70k Miles)  :)

Can't wait
« Last Edit: 16 March 2017, 15:22 by VWayne »

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2017, 18:56 »
I have a 2010 GTI and not had any problems apart from door hinge bolts coming loose after a year - changed under warranty. It gets an oil and filter change every 5k miles or 6 months and annual service. Coming up to 59k miles.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Scottuk

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2017, 20:07 »
If I can add my recent purchase experience,

One month ago I paid £10,200 for a carbon grey 10 plate 5 door GTi, 60k, day two of ownership engine light came on, car was due a service so booked it in, and asked them to investigate, service completed and advised I required a new MAF, sourced one from VW, fitted, car running ok, another day passed, light comes on again, took it to another garage, they diagnosed air/oil separator required replacement, I had them inspect the cam chain tensioner too, and it was one of the early failure prone items, so I elected to have chain, tensioner, guides etc replaced, collected car last week, drove it 50 miles home, engine light back on! It's now back in the workshop waiting on a new inter cooler to arrive!! Great cars to look at, but I've spent around £1500 in 4 weeks since purchase!  buyer beware!

Ps my cam chain cover showed signs of chain slap, so was only a matter of time before my chain slipped!

Offline VWayne

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2017, 20:36 »
If I can add my recent purchase experience,

One month ago I paid £10,200 for a carbon grey 10 plate 5 door GTi, 60k, day two of ownership engine light came on, car was due a service so booked it in, and asked them to investigate, service completed and advised I required a new MAF, sourced one from VW, fitted, car running ok, another day passed, light comes on again, took it to another garage, they diagnosed air/oil separator required replacement, I had them inspect the cam chain tensioner too, and it was one of the early failure prone items, so I elected to have chain, tensioner, guides etc replaced, collected car last week, drove it 50 miles home, engine light back on! It's now back in the workshop waiting on a new inter cooler to arrive!! Great cars to look at, but I've spent around £1500 in 4 weeks since purchase!  buyer beware!

Ps my cam chain cover showed signs of chain slap, so was only a matter of time before my chain slipped!

Sorry to hear that!!! I had a similar experience with a Scirocco 1.4TSI early 2015 so i no how your feeling... 20 miles into ownership the EML came on and it never ended. I had to get rid in the end, i was gutted.

My current Golf 1.4TSI has been trouble free but it has only got 35k miles on the clock.

Keep me updated on how you get on, did you buy private?

Offline Scottuk

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2017, 20:49 »
Bought from a dealer, but I'm in N.E of Scotland, and he is in Bradford  :cry:

If it doesn't behave on return this time its going, I can't be doing with problem cars.