Author Topic: Moving from an R to GTi PP  (Read 2409 times)

Offline davidp81

• Just got here
Re: Moving from an R to GTi PP
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2017, 23:11 »
Apologies infernox if that makes your decision tougher! I feel your pain having been through the choice between the 2 so recently.

I only do around 8000 miles per year so personally I just found I really wasn't making use of the extra performance. Plus I really fancied going back to a manual as I don't do a lot of motorway miles, I'd have stuck with dsg if I did.

However for me it was all down to numbers, my R was around 35k new just under 2 years ago and the offer I got on this gti was just under 26k, so in my head I was seeing it as a £9000 gap between the 2 cars, and to me there was no way the gti felt like 9k less of a car, for my needs anyway.

However if the values of the 2 cars you are looking at are closer (considering varying mileage etc) then I would never advise against the R to anybody, that near super car performance is awesome when you do get to enjoy it and brings a massive grin to your face, and terrifies passengers for good measure too!  :grin:

Good luck with the the decision!

Have to agree about what a great all rounder the performance golfs are as said above. (Had a mk6 gti before the R too.) I've done a lot of miles in a dozen or so hire cars for work in recent weeks and nothing ticks all the boxes for me that either the gti or R did and I couldn't wait to give the hire cars back and get back in the Golf!  From performance and the ride to all the driver convenience bits, there really isn't much out there that manages just to get it all right for a daily driver in the way the Golfs do.

Offline infernox

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 15 February 2017, 18:48 »
Yeah I think I will go for the Golf R. Did you have DCC in any of your cars? For the cars I'm looking at, the GTI has it but the R doesn't, both are 18 inch wheels though so not sure if there will be a big difference.

Offline davidp81

• Just got here
« Reply #12 on: 15 February 2017, 21:25 »
I had Dcc and 19's on the R. I decided against both in the gti as they were low on the priority list and the car I got was already out of the factory when I purchased, doing mainly short trips I never really changed it from normal mode though so definitely don't miss it. It could be going from 19's to 18's but the ride is still great without dcc in the gti.