Author Topic: Moving from an R to GTi PP  (Read 2410 times)

Offline davidp81

• Just got here
Moving from an R to GTi PP
« on: 14 February 2017, 16:34 »
Sorry for the long post! Just thought I would share my thoughts as I didn’t find much info about moving from an R to a GTi when I was looking in to changing cars. (Most people seemed to be moving from the GTi to the R understandably)

I had a Night Blue DSG R until 3 weeks ago when I traded it in for a DBP GTi PP Manual. My main reason for changing was financial, due to the facelift coming along I was able to get over 6k discount on a in-stock GTi meaning my monthly payment is lower and with no deposit. (Put a large deposit on the R).

Biggest difference is going back to manual from DSG, I would say both are fantastic gearboxes so this is all down to personal preference. I really miss the DSG in the morning traffic crawl, but I definitely feel so much more involved in a manual when I go for a spin on some favourite B roads. I wanted the manual as I thought going like for like might feel more of a noticeable downgrade after the DSG R but I definitely don’t regret it as yet.

Power wise, there is obviously a noticeable dip in power after the R, but I only really notice it from a standing start, the GTi is so responsive through the rev range that I don’t feel down on power if wanting to do a quick overtake in the GTi and on normal motorway running. Also even in the dodgy weather I’ve not had any loss of traction in the GTi so far, though it has only been 3 weeks. It’s not as planted at high speed as the R of course but also there is more than enough grip for every day driving.

Finally I find the GTi cabin a more satisfying place to be than the R, obviously the quality is superb on both but with the addition of the tech pack in the GTi, the Dynaudio and larger nav screen are a nice upgrade to have. Also got a few extra bits such as key less, park assist, app connect which weren’t in the R, but these are probably just a bit of novelty value. I had leather in the R and have gone back to the classic tartan cloth in the GTi and it just has that bit more character when you are sat in it in my opinion.

In summary I was very nervous making this switch but after 3 weeks I definitely don’t regret it. The R is a sensational car and inspired so much confidence driving it, but in the real world I never needed the extra performance over the GTi. So if you are split between the 2 then my personal opinion is the GTi just edges it for me taking everything in to consideration.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
Re: Moving from an R to GTi PP
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2017, 16:39 »
Nice write up and good to hear.  I sold my R a couple of months ago and I take delivery of my GTI Clubsport in a couple of weeks.  I haven't driven a MK7 GTI in any guise yet, that last GTI I had was a MK6 Edition 35.

Offline falconmick

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf MK7 R
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2017, 18:02 »
I previously had manual MK7, now have R DSG - verdict prefer manual, although DSG better in traffic, manual is more involving and I can get much smoother gear changes in manual. SO next time will be manual.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2017, 18:54 »
Interesting thoughts.
Makes me even more certain that the standard Clubsport is almost the pefect package.
Wish I had one :drool:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2017, 19:20 »
Regardless of what car you come from, I don't think you can go wrong with a GTI. In fact I don't think you could go wrong with any of the 3 performance golfs, GTI, R or GTD.
They are not just a great car, they give excellent value for money and serve so many roles.
Whether that is taking your granny for the shopping in one of them and then blasting round the twisties in the same car.

Certainly a great all-rounder.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2017, 20:15 »
Regardless of what car you come from, I don't think you can go wrong with a GTI. In fact I don't think you could go wrong with any of the 3 performance golfs, GTI, R or GTD.
They are not just a great car, they give excellent value for money and serve so many roles.
Whether that is taking your granny for the shopping in one of them and then blasting round the twisties in the same car.

Excellent summation, spot on :smiley:

And to the OP, nice review and from an unusual angle.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2017, 20:25 »
Interesting thoughts.
Makes me even more certain that the standard Clubsport is almost the pefect package.
Wish I had one :drool:

I have to agree with you...  :wink:
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline GTI_Ant

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2017, 20:32 »

True.  And they seem to get better with age.  Mine has 20K on now and feels better than it did at say 10K.  Guess because they are so well made they take a while to fully loosen up.  GTi pp is the best all round in my biased opinion.
GTi Clubsport DCC winter pack rear camera
Previous:
7.5R 3dr DSG DPB Prets Dynaudio
MK7 GTI PP Tungsten Silver Manual Nav Dynaudio Winter Pack Park Assist

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2017, 20:47 »
Totally get your decision in fairness as I think I made similar comments in author thread about when GTI and R were compared. Have to say DSG has been a revelation but needed the bigger paddles so it was nice to use.

I know you are meant to use the paddles but what I don't like on the DSG box (given the Golf is engineered with a LHD bias) that when you put it into manual the leaver is further away and the changing up and down is sort of counter intuative .

I was worried about the DCT on the BMW and have to say where they have nailed is that it encourages you to use the stick shift as its perfectly centred and works the correct way round so feels more sequential in nature so feels a bit odd when you get in the Golf

I was lucky to get a 7 GTI for a weekend (manual) when they launched and did 300 miles in it and whilst it had about 100bhp less than my Ed35 (Stage 2) it was so much faster point to point

Looks like the GTI is having a renaissance which is no bad thing

Offline infernox

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2017, 22:11 »
So if you are split between the 2 then my personal opinion is the GTi just edges it for me taking everything in to consideration.

Dammit, I am split between the 2 and thought I made my decision but this didn't help. I'm buying used and my choice is between a 64 plate GTI with 25,500 miles for £20.5k or a 16 plate R with 8,000 miles for £24.5k. To me it seemed like the Golf R was the easy choice in terms of value but most of my driving is in the city so not sure if its worth it, I only do around 4,000 miles a year too.